Thinking About Violent Games Makes Men More Aggressive

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
Well.

Thinking about Real-life Violent Situations Makes Men More Aggressive...

So I don't see how games would be any different :O. As for why women don't get aggressive.... idk.

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Stupid unscientific study is stupid and unscientific. I mean is there anything more that really needs to be said? I could grab a tiny insignificant portion of society and make a very uncontrolled test and claim anything I want as well, its not really that hard.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
No no no, the scientists have it all wrong: Its not the violence in video games that makes people violent, its the stupid surveys that claim that violence in video games does bad things to people that makes gamers violent!

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Uh....color me skeptical. But how does playing a game make you more of a jerkass? I play tons of violent videogames, and would never subject another to a painfully, loud noise/punishment.

I'm calling bull-honky on this study.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Here's an idea I think these researchers can get behind, let's make a test wherein we kick one group in the balls, we punch another group in the face, and we have a control group wherein both actions occur, than judge aggression afterward.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
I'm sure they would get exactly the same result asking people to think about Kill Bill, or a James Bond novel. Pointless, bias study is pointless and bias.

joinchoir

meme meme meme
Apr 4, 2010
Vindication! So logically when non-aggressive males play video games they become more aggressive. That is great news for passive geeky guys like me. Got a job interview? Play Mortal Combat for a week in preparation. There are times in a man's life where being aggressive is a good thing. Why do they have to make this a bad thing?

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
The_ModeRazor said:
I disagree, there is nothing more calming than God of War. You'll never ever want to fucking hurt anyone again after finishing all the games.
I concur. I'm not a violent person by nature, and I'm pretty sure playing through that series has let me get out all the violence in my life through game form. Plus, it was reaaaallllly satisfying ripping the head off of Apollo.

Also, they got a serious flaw in that there study. Making people play Mortal combat vs DC. That would piss anyone off. Also, with the way they nerfed the killing in that game, guitar hero is almost more violent.

Sir_Tor

Nov 29, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Study proves what researchers thought it might prove. People in subject group agree/disagree. Here's Tom with the weather.

And boy...does that "competitive reaction test" stink. So a bloke beaten by a woman is going to be more aggressive than a woman beaten by a bloke? Damn...tough to work out that one.

Funny, they never tested a woman being beaten by another woman. THAT would have been interesting.
"The subjects returned the next day and took part in a competitive reaction test against an opponent of the same sex"

OT: Meh, who conducted this research?

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Jeez this is like saying that people who think about committing a crime will definitely commit a crime.

Squeaky

Mar 6, 2010
But thinking about anything violent for 24 hours has an effect on your behaviour like when a bully punchs you. Your still thinking about working your self up and up till you hear your heart, the next day you see him you kick the crap out of him any thought of violence makes sane people aggersive. Fight or Flight ?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Funny, they never tested a woman being beaten by another woman. THAT would have been interesting.
Hahaha, yeah. Definitely. I think they should have done that, otherwise it isn't fair. ;P

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
God of war isn't infuriating because it's violent, it's infuriating because of that fucking rotating pillar in Hades with all the goddamn spikes sticking out of it.

Feb 7, 2009
There is a major flaw in the researchers' instructions, they instructed part of the test group to think about the gme for twenty-four hours. You cannot prove that they really did or did not think about the game. It is equally likely that they were aggressive because they were stressing about their midterms.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Uhhhh.. I heard that adrenaline stays in the system for 24 hours..
See a connection?

Could be the same for any competitive sport.