Thinking About Violent Games Makes Men More Aggressive

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure that thinking of any violence would have a similar effect. Just because it's in a videogame does not make it any different, you could think of the very real horrors of war and be sent spiralling into depression, but there's nothing we can do about that so let's just say videogames make you angry.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
in all technicality, they made them play games in which fighting is the objective i.e. MKvDC, How can you not expect them to feel slightly....violent? I bet the test candidates got bored half way and just lied to get out of it. Thus another fail in trying project games in the evil light. :p

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
I don't know, men can get violent after doing/thinking about pretty much anything really.

Wallpapering the den? Violent.

Mowing the stupid, stupid lawn? Hell yeah violent.

Opening the credit card bill? Violence to a whole new level.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Of course you told them to think how they would beat a game next time its like having to remeber how many times you lose at a sport then told to think how not to suck at it.

How is not going to make people angry then we all knows what happens when most males start getting anger they start to hate things that quickly leads to the dark side and all that.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Well, if you ask someone the think violently for 24 hours, then give them an option to be violent or nonviolent (the test they did afterwards) they will pick the violent option. That is all this study says. It could have been violent movies they thought about and the result would be the same.

And why are the only surveys I come across here a bunch of BS?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
That's a pretty interesting research... thing. I just hope certain morons don't use it for an excuse to "support" that stupid californian law.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
every one of these tests about how games affect people have no before and after or are just bad ways to test people why can't anyone find a good test. also how can you make sure that people think about the game.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I get angry thinking about MKvsDC too. Because it was awful. When I think about God of War I think about how much fun it is, and how it relieves all my stress.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I think the important question is, "How violent?" As everyone else has been saying, many things makes us that way, and judging from the number of us who have claimed not to be made more aggressive (assuming they aren't in denial), chances are the level of aggression is pretty small.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Finally one study about games that doesn't just pull opinions out of their arse and has at least an interesting backdrop to it.

I found the fact that women were relatively unaffected particularly interesting. I've always believed that men are moreso influenced by abstract thoughts and things than women and this kind of study seems to corroborate that. To be fair, it would be interesting to see how men would respond to playing 'nice' and non-violent games and then how they'd treat their opponents based on that though...and it'd be interesting if women would, yet again, not be as influenced by 'nice' games just as they were unaffected by 'violent' ones.

As I said...it'd go along with my theory that men are moreso influenced by the abstract parts of our lives than women. Granted it's only a theory, but still...I've always seen it somehow like this. That the reasons for the big gap between women and men gamer numbers isn't just because games need to be made moreso to suit women, but also because it's fundamentally an abstract genre.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
I disagree, there is nothing more calming than God of War. You'll never ever want to fucking hurt anyone again after finishing all the games.

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
I get the strangest sense of Deja-vu from this article. o_o

I swear it was in the news months ago. Am I wrong?

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Jaredin said:
Sounds pretty Zen to me, and, makes sense...but, just because people are more aggresive, did they look at any other causes, perhaps?
It's easy, those how played Guitar Hero scored some hot babes because of being so awesome, and after a "good night rest" they were less frustrated then the dudes that played fighting games.