This Coffee Maker Has DRM to Lock Out Competitor's Refills - Update

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Oh, this is ? sad. Good thing I don't drink much coffee except from cans and powder.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not even remotely worried. Ten to one that a couple YouTube vids pop up after the release of the new models, all showing us how to circumvent those measures. If the only thing you're risking is a voided warranty, I'm sure single-cup coffee maker hacking is going to take off pretty successfully.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Sleekit said:
i don't actually know anyone...nor have i in fact ever known that i can remember...who actually owns and uses a dedicated coffee machine.

mostly on account of us having these great things called "kettles"...

is this like some huge "in every kitchen" brand name i'm not aware of ?

...cause if not surely a smart, "discerning" coffee consumer would just buy a machine they can put any coffee they want in ?...

in which case...great move making people not want to buy your coffee machine guys...
In my house they have a kettle, a coffee maker that uses actual beans, and one of these little pod machines. The pod one does seem like it't just really lazy. It tastes a bit better than the granule stuff, but not as good as proper coffee, but costs twice as much. Why have all 3? Kettle for the quick fix, coffee machine for the enjoyment.

Except for the fact that I can't understand how people find coffee enjoyable.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
We actually have that machine in our shop at SDSU. Reason is because everyone gets in at 5-6am and the only coffee on campus is overpriced Starbucks. They enjoy the machine really, and I will say it makes some good hot chocolate. :3
Also this technically isn't DRM, since DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. If anything this is CRM, Coffee Rights Management.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Expected to launch this fall, and fall this launch.

But seriously, it's mostly sad to think that your common coffee company is an evil moustache twirling douche bag. Hell, I imagine heads of tobacco companies aren't this scummy. It's not even evil, it's just stupid. I can't see the common person running with this. Even they would give up after a day or two of that BS. If it doesn't scratch their ass and feed them nachos, common people will not buy it. Especially with coffee. It won't even be a backlash, it just won't sell.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
It is absolutely imperative that your toast shouldn't toast right if it isn't OUR bread. For safety reasons, of course!

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Neronium said:
We actually have that machine in our shop at SDSU. Reason is because everyone gets in at 5-6am and the only coffee on campus is overpriced Starbucks. They enjoy the machine really, and I will say it makes some good hot chocolate. :3
Also this technically isn't DRM, since DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. If anything this is CRM, Coffee Rights Management.
Also to be fair, there can be a decent argument made for DRM. Namely, the idea is to stop/reduce piracy. Which I think is a fine idea. I think Steam is fine (not good, but fine) DRM.

This seems more like what Nintendo did back in the early days with the 'Nintendo certified.' But that also had the excuse of being for 'quality control.' This is just Kuerig saying 'hey, we're the dominant coffee-machine company now. Let's use our power to get more money and lock our competitors out.'

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I saw this headline earlier, but I thought it was satire or some kind of cheeky, self-aware product that's mocking DRM.

I didn't think that someone would be crazy enough to actually do this. And for COFFEE, no less.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Steven Bogos said:
Update: Keurig has responded to the widespread negative feedback regarding this change, assuring fans that "It's critical for performance and safety reasons that our new system includes this technology." Safety reasons. That's a good one.

Source: Tech Dirt [http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140305/14561626447/keurig-insists-coffee-drm-brings-interactive-enabled-benefits-is-your-own-safety.shtml]
Holy Shit. How stupid do they think we are, I mean, there are probably some pretty stupid people but it is a fricken coffee maker for waffle's sake! What kind of safety precautions do you need besides large pretty pictures that say "Don't Fucking Touch This, Hot Stuff!"?!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Update: Keurig has responded to the widespread negative feedback regarding this change, assuring fans that "It's critical for performance and safety reasons that our new system includes this technology."
Wow it's almost as if EA was handling their press release.

This idea needs to die before it becomes the norm.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This should be illegal. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is illegal under most European consumer protection laws.

Only in America would those greedy corporate assholes think that they can have the freedom to do something like this. The Corporate States of Let's Fuck the Consumers strikes again.

Safety reasons sounds dangerously close to "national security reasons". See a pattern there? Every time someone powerful wants to stick a dick up your ass they'll claim that it's for your own safety.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Safety reasons. That's a good one.
Safety reasons? Really... I've got a feeling I've heard this one before...
"We're going to lock half of your workstation. Safety reasons."
"We're going to remove a quarter of your apartment to repair your deck. Safety reasons."
"We're not giving you a discount on any of this. Safety reasons."
"We're increasing the price of your electricity. Safety reasons."
"You can't rent from us unless you have our apartment insurance. Safety reasons."
"You must ride your bike in a crowded street, no bike lane. Safety reasons."
"We're forcing you to buy our product, and only our product. Safety reasons."

Nah... I'm just paranoid.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
The sad thing is this is going to work to some extent, particularly on the office end of things, because as we all know, every office thinks coffee is mandatory. The average user might find brand-locked machines to be bullshit, and it is, but corporate gophers aren't hired for their brains; they're hired to do what they're told, and if the coffee machine says "put this kind of coffee in", that's what they're going to do, because the budget intended for the coffee machine has been spent already.

There are, as you may know, a lot of offices in the world. This has depressing potential to become a big thing, with further potential for manufacturers to pursue exclusive deals with their end-users' companies, and it's not going to stop at coffee if it takes off.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
"It's critical for performance and safety reasons that our new system includes this technology."
I'd love to hear them explain EXACTLY how that is the case. I want to hear them explain the fucking DETAILS man! It would probably be hilarious.

infinity_turtles said:
...Jail broken coffee makers may end up being a thing. Cyberpunk future here we come.
But then you wouldn't be safe? You want to be safe don't you?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Jorec said:
So what's to stop people from just using the original Keurig machines then? If that's the only substantial thing that the "Keurig 2.0" offers than I see no point in upgrading honestly, especially if the competitor's refills are in fact cheaper.
More importantly, what if one likes the other coffee better?

I can't wait till Sony blurays only play Sony Studios movies... because that is where this logic would lead. :S

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Saulkar said:
Steven Bogos said:
Update: Keurig has responded to the widespread negative feedback regarding this change, assuring fans that "It's critical for performance and safety reasons that our new system includes this technology." Safety reasons. That's a good one.

Source: Tech Dirt [http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140305/14561626447/keurig-insists-coffee-drm-brings-interactive-enabled-benefits-is-your-own-safety.shtml]
Holy Shit. How stupid do they think we are, I mean, there are probably some pretty stupid people but it is a fricken coffee maker for waffle's sake! What kind of safety precautions do you need besides large pretty pictures that say "Don't Fucking Touch This, Hot Stuff!"?!
Very stupid, apparently.

I am pretty sure that I've only ever bought Keurig approved coffee pods, but...
1. I'm not sure what would improve on the current product. It makes fantastic coffee, 1 cup at a time.
2. DRM makes this a pass for me anyway.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
They've got to be using DRM unless they want to be driven out of business by coffee pirates, I guess...

Well anyway, I've never heard of this Keuring brand, but I'll keep this DRM thing in mind if I ever consider purchasing their products.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Big_Willie_Styles said:
mysecondlife said:
I have a Keurig. Mine just punctures a hole top and bottom of the coffee pod and it pours hot water. Haven't got a clue how they managed it.
The shape of the pod, which would be very easy to jerry rig to fuck over competitors. Who are dicks anyway for trying to steal from their market. This is just a response to them being dicks to them.

If a company came out with an HD disc that was able to play in Blu Ray players but wasn't a Blu Ray disc, you gotta know Sony would intervene.
Then competitors can easily replicate the shape of the pod.

and its a stupid analogy. Sony doesn't make money off of all the blu-ray disc sales nor they are the only manufacturer of blu-ray players.