"This **** will not beat me."

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
At the moment, it's Roathus Lagoon in Bastion with four idols active.

I want to beat the game, but I don't want to turn off the idols. I suppose I could just bring it back down to two...

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
My first playthrough of Demon's Souls. After Phalanx, Tower Knight and Armor Spider I went after Flamelurker and got my ass handed to me a dozen times. I thought: "This isn't over yet! I'll be back!"

And that gave me a good reason to come back to the game. I went to some other areas, killed some more bosses and when I came back to Flamelurker, I stomped him into the ground.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
If I feel like I can have a good time with it I'll play the hard settings, otherwise I don't care.

That being said I refused to give in while playing Bulletwitch or Gears of War 1 on Hell/Insane respectively.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Inb4 Water temple in Ocarina of Time

For me it was the Cellar Demon in Dark Souls. Hadn't noticed him on the first play through and when I went back to the prison I died like 40 times. But I kept at it thinking exactly that, "this **** will not beat me"

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Most recently, DOTA2. I'm a long time LoL player, but when I got my Beta invite it was like running straight into a brick wall lined with spikes. And the spikes are rusty so now I have tetanus as well...

But I stuck with it, found what works and what doesn't. Heck, I'm still finding it. But 70 games later, I'm sitting on a positive Win/Loss ratio and even when I lose a game, I'm usually not the main reason. Also, for some reason I can't seem to lose a game with Viper (8 wins, 0 losses).

All in all, it is satisfying and I can see myself get better at the game, I can see myself NOT making the same mistakes and can see how much better stuff turns out as a result.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Well, it was pretty much my ongoing mentality when I played WoW back in TBC (and somewhat in WotLK). Also happens in Battlefield 3 sometimes (though I haven't played it in a while, waiting for AK) when I get the short end of the stick team-wise, I go into "fuck you all" mode and try to up my gameplay as much as I can/create some opportunities and such.

Aside from that... dunno, from time to time in singleplayer games. Can't think of many examples off the top of my head, it's usually just certain points that you get through, but are annoying while you're just banging your head against the wall try after try as you keep failing.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Most recently it was one of the puzzles in ilomilo.
Took me a good hour to figure it out and a million resets, but I conquered that damned puzzle.
And then I began another one, cuz I secretly hate myself.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Sean Hollyman said:
MiskWisk said:
Halo 3's cortana mission on legendary solo. Absolute piss take but I did it. Eventually.

Sean Hollyman said:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, on Sith Master difficulty

Kazdan Paratus was a damn hard boss, but I persisted and wooped his ass
Bah, he wasn't too bad on that difficulty. I personally had more problems with the proxy as maul cos pretty much as soon as he started a combo on you, you may as well restart the fight.
Really? I found Maul easy, I just spammed the same few moves every few goes and he hardly got a chance
I pretty much did the same with Paratus while lobbing anything not nailed to the floor at him.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Zelda 2 - Adventures of Link.

That fucking game will not beat me, no matter how many XP eating enemies they throw at me and no matter how many times I have to repeat that final freaking Temple. I beat it though. I beat the Hell out of it! I didn't even have to rely on the corner-glitch for the entire Dark Link encounter.

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
Any game on the hardest difficulty /end thread

Kidding aside, for me I think it's Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden, or the last boss in any fighting game. I think it feels kinda rewarding to overcome any challenge in a game.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Not long ago, I was interested in finding exactly which review that quote is from; it's one of my favourites. I thought it was from Too Human; but apparently not. I watched about 2 dozen vids looking for it.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Fighting Colonel Radec in Killzone 2. I died so many times that I thought it was a supposed to lose battle.

If he hadn't been the last boss I'd probably have stopped playing altogether.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I have trouble with most 2D action games and Guitar Hero.
I mean, I have trouble beating the first dungeon with the original Legend of Zelda, but accidentally stumbled into the Cave of Ordeals in Twilight Princess and beat it on my first try with relatively little issue.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Alternative said:
Devil May Cry 3 on Dante Must Die mode.

hardest thing i have ever acomplished in life
Initial release or Special Edition?

After doing it when the game was first released, doing it again on the Special Edition was much easier.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
ultrachicken said:
Honorable mention goes to Halo 3. That was my first FPS and my introduction to the genre, and the basic FPS control scheme was kicking my ass. But I was determined to finish the game, so I eventually did. On Easy.

Fortunately, I'm now actually good at the game as well as FPSes in general.
*foam* I hate FPS gamepad control schemes and the device in general. It would take me a good 5 seconds just to aim at a guy and if he moved I'd have to start all over again, usually dieing a lot even on the easiest difficulty unless I was running around with just a shotgun. Then I bought my nifty little keyboard/mouse adapter and it feels just as smooth and right as if I were on a PC. :D

OT: Morrowind, right now. Not because its actually difficult, but I'm bound and determined to play all the way through that game before advancing to Oblivion and eventually Skyrim.

Speaking of the ads on the site right now, God of War had a few instances of this with me I believe. Darksiders too.

Sep 30, 2010
Resident Evil 4 on the hardest difficulty. Even the button mashing quick time events are sped up making them so incredibly difficult that it took me close to 45min to get past a simple "evade the boulder one".

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
in the form of image macros...
Super Meat Boy won't beat me!

SMB:

ME:

SMB:
, *****.

ME:
...okay.
I Wanna Be the Guy won't beat me!

IWBTG:

ME:

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
jbm1986 said:
Any game on the hardest difficulty /end thread
PES 5 and 6 were a lot more bearable in 6 star difficulty than in 3 stars.

The "normal" difficulty had impossible defense lines, slower but more planned attacks and after you managed to survive a 0-0 tie for 89 minutes they would score and ruin your whole game.

It was frigging impossible on Normal.