"This **** will not beat me."

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I just started the binding of Issac and while a lot of difficulty is to do with the power ups, it's a challenge to get as far as you can each time even if the game decides that it will give you the worst possible combination of items.

Moose

Feb 7, 2012
The plane mission at the end of Call of Duty 4. God knows how many times I heard that beep noise! At least the mission was short so I could have multiple attempts in the space of a few minutes.

All I remember is finally getting to the end of the mission after countless tries and then accidentally shooting the hostage in the head, eurgh.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
Super Smash Bros Melee challenges 50 and 51. I got so pissed that I snapped into a zen zone and beat them both with only about 30% damage and no lives lost. I will *never* be able to replicate it.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I don't have any real single player examples. Or maybe I do. Master Ninja difficulty and Dante Must Die/Bloody Palace are kinda given. I would not give up till I got to the end, but not all of it was impossibly difficult in the first place.
Some Devil Survivor/Persona 4 bosses were roadblocks for a while, but hell if I let them end my game. Same goes for getting gold on Catherine puzzles/bosses.

When playing BlazBlue online and I meet someone who's just a bit better than me but I can take a round off of him, I want to win even more. I don't care if both of my Bursts are gone. Enough tries and I will get a good win. Shame the last person I beat this way was a rage quitter, but that's besides the point I guess.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Killzone: Liberation. Other than my PSP broke while I was playing it (I dropped it onto concrete while walking home), I couldn't get passed this spider tank boss. Made me stop playing that system all together.

Justyn Stahll

Jul 22, 2010
Dragon Age : Orgins
Fighting the Archdemon with Allistar, Ogrhen, Morrigan, and Myself a dwarf warrior. On the Hardest difficulty, with pretty garbage equipment.

Everyone died except Morrigan, who I won with.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
Alternative said:
Devil May Cry 3 on Dante Must Die mode.

hardest thing i have ever acomplished in life
oh god this, i got to the final showdown with vergil and he literally took me the best part of an hour, 1 gold orb, 20 large green stars and every ounce of cunning i could muster using the swordmaster style, i was determined not to fail after coming so far and i eventually won

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Hmm...

I don't think I've ever quit something because of difficulty, I will typically play every game I play on the hardest difficulty first playthrough (because I despise having to replay a game all over again just to get unlock one more thing or get one more achievment).

The hardests I can think of though:

Dragon Age: Origins on Nightmare difficulty as a lower-leveld Spirit Healer mage in the level where you fight through the hordes of adolescent dragons to get Andraste's Ashes, and then the High Dragon.

Dragon Age 2: Solo Rogue duel with Arishok on nightmare -_- 'nuff said.

Gears of War 3: Final fight against Myrra sucked, not because I kept dying but because my dumbass squad-mates wouldn't get out of the solar flare.

Batman Arkham City: Mr. Freeze on +Play Hard (or whatever its called)... seriously what the hell.

Transformers: War for Cybertron: Final mission with Megatron and the Decepticons on hardest difficulty, that sucked, wasn't TOO difficult but it was tricky.

Mass Effect 3: Can't believe I'm saying this, and after I figured it out I felt like a real dumbass but I think I might be the only person who had trouble fighting that Reaper on Rannoch on foot.
I didn't know that you were supposed to barrel-roll to the side when it goes into slow-motion when the reaper gets really close.
Damn I must have seriously tried that over and over about 15 times, thrown controllers happened that day.

Assassin's Creed Revelations: Trying to sync %100 wasn't too entirely difficult but this one mission, I literally counted and I ended up trying it 23 times where you are in Cappadocia and you have to scale the center piller, cross the city, which was easy (except around the 15th I was falling off out of frustration and haste), but the hard part was that you had to fight through a narrow hallway and fight about 20 brutes and soldiers WITHOUT GETTING HIT AT ALL. Cracked a little bit of my wall and had to fix it. That was the maddest I have ever been at a video game. It finally took a specific combo of bombs and i literally had to coreograph my every move and attack.

Edit: Oyeah and Morrowind... I equipped Fury....
GAME... CRUSHING

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Khanht Cope said:
Not long ago, I was interested in finding exactly which review that quote is from; it's one of my favourites. I thought it was from Too Human; but apparently not. I watched about 2 dozen vids looking for it.
2.5D Hoedown, in reference to 'Splosion Man and how it offers to skip the level if you have trouble with it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
Yes, that is a Zero Punctuation quote in the title. But before you decide that I'm just being manipulative and trying to draw in more traffic, hear me out.

There are a lot of really difficult games out there, and there are some games that people find easy that others find impossible. Sure, that seems completely obvious - Demon's Souls exists in the same universe as Lego Star Wars. But here's the thing - some of us just give up when we reach a part of the game that's too hard. But depending on the game, sometimes I find that its suddenly kicking my ass just makes me want even more to beat it.

Recently, I've been playing a lot of League of Legends (under the screen-name NerfedFalcon if you want to come find me, I don't turn down friend requests but I might unfriend you if I wind up hating you), and it's struck me that for various reasons, I'm actually pretty terrible at the game. From not knowing to hug the turret if you're outnumbered on a lane to forgetting that I have two Summoner Spells equipped, one way or another I just can't stay alive long enough to get anything useful done for my team. But, I don't know how it did this, but I want to play it even more just so I can stop doing stuff like that, finally become good at it. And I didn't even like it at first.

I don't know what's up with it - whether it's that I know some friends are playing it and might want to help me out, to the fact that I've already bought a champion (it was Annie, for the record) so now I'm 'invested', something's clicked in my brain. And now, I don't want to stop until I've, not mastered, but at least managed to get rid of the ball and chain mentality. It's an incredibly rare game that does that to me - and rarer still when it's multiplayer-based.

So what about you guys? What are some games that you found incredibly difficult, but that just made you more tenacious in return?

Oh Oh! Which server do you play on? If you don't mind me asking. Mine's EU West, no idea if you need to go and switch servers to play with other people from seperate servers.

I've gotten back into LoL as well even though I was sure I hated the damn thing first time I played it... Just hit level 30, might try Ranked just to see how different it is.

You any good at figuring out which person you are during a proper 10 man team fight? I still can't do it now. It's just a mishmash of health bars and particle effects until my screen fades to grey...

You tried Irelia yet btw? She is your Avatar after all XD

I think i'll go with LoL as well, it's like you can see how good you could become if you practised a champion and learned what he/she can do.

I need to get good with Riven, she's so damn cool. Also need to figure out when you say "Lol health regen ftw!" with Irelia and commit and when to go "the health regen! It does nothing! and port back to base in a bush somewhere.

I can see how Irelia could have been overpowered from the outset, if anyone can 1v5 successfully it'd be her (and pre-patch Darius ^^) Suppose "better nerf Irelia" became a meme within the LoL meta for a reason.

She does not stay stunned as well, once got hit by an Ashe arrow (AKA the team fight go button) and it only caused a tiny blip in my movement, the 2 second stun became a half second slow. Mecury Treads + Irelia's passive ftw

And postioning is really important to learn. I still haven't mastered it, like if you get a Vayne on the edges of a team fight just Tumbling around with her 1 second invisibility per Tumble you've basically won the fight cuz AD Carries ftw.

I can play anything but a Carry. God you do badly start game as a Carry and you're beyond useless. Vayne is my least terrible AD Carry ^^

Quick summary on what a Carry is. I hate being that guy who just throws epic jargon at people. May as well try to make things easier

Carries get carried through the start game by their lane partner (preferably a Support) due to their start game damage being kinda bad overall.

Now, you get enough items and levels and you're an unstoppable dunking machine who carries their team to victory due to insane damage output. This is why Carries have lower health and the words "focus X" gets thrown around in chat a lot

Just clicking on an enemy once and watching auto attacks go off just doesn't agree with me. I feel like I should be doing something rather than watching my character just off auto attacks until they die/stand and fight/lead me into turret range...

Vayne has Tumble, that's why I can stand playing her, I'm actively contributing to my damage just rolling after my target. Plus that crossbow knockback from Condemn is insane, especially in jungle fights due to the knockback pinning them to walls and getting the stun

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Oh Oh! Which server do you play on? If you don't mind me asking. Mine's EU West, no idea if you need to go and switch servers to play with other people from seperate servers.
US West. It's the closest one to Australia. Average ~190 ping but in LoL ping doesn't seem to matter as much as it would in, say, Call of Duty.

I've gotten back into LoL as well even though I was sure I hated the damn thing first time I played it... Just hit level 30, might try Ranked just to see how different it is.

You any good at figuring out which person you are during a proper 10 man team fight? I still can't do it now. It's just a mishmash of health bars and particle effects until my screen fades to grey...
Hardly played any games at all. And I do think the first guy to give me advice "Forget team composition at your level, just play one character to perfection" is probably a better idea, especially considering - like I said - I'm a noob.

Still have to wait for her to get into the weekly rotation. But I did have a lot of fun with Darius, and I bought Annie because she's one of the cheap ones...

I think i'll go with LoL as well, it's like you can see how good you could become if you practised a champion and learned what he/she can do.

I need to get good with Riven, she's so damn cool. Also need to figure out when you say "Lol health regen ftw!" with Irelia and commit and when to go "the health regen! It does nothing! and port back to base in a bush somewhere.

I can see how Irelia could have been overpowered from the outset, if anyone can 1v5 successfully it'd be her (and pre-patch Darius ^^) Suppose "better nerf Irelia" became a meme within the LoL meta for a reason.
Nobody can 1v1 Twitch; better nerf Irelia. ...Then buff Garen because Darius made him pointless.

Appropriate Captcha: 'creepy crawler'

She does not stay stunned as well, once got hit by an Ashe arrow (AKA the team fight go button) and it only caused a tiny blip in my movement, the 2 second stun became a half second slow. Mecury Treads + Irelia's passive ftw
Don't usually bother much with item builds either; I just buy whatever's on the 'buy this stuff' list when I have enough cash to. Then again, I'm not even at the level where I should be working out 'metagame' item builds.

And postioning is really important to learn. I still haven't mastered it, like if you get a Vayne on the edges of a team fight just Tumbling around with her 1 second invisibility per Tumble you've basically won the fight cuz AD Carries ftw.

I can play anything but a Carry. God you do badly start game as a Carry and you're beyond useless. Vayne is my least terrible AD Carry ^^
Heard Darius was carry from a friend of mine, but he seems just normal...

Quick summary on what a Carry is. I hate being that guy who just throws epic jargon at people. May as well try to make things easier

Carries get carried through the start game by their lane partner (preferably a Support) due to their start game damage being kinda bad overall.

Now, you get enough items and levels and you're an unstoppable dunking machine who carries their team to victory due to insane damage output. This is why Carries have lower health and the words "focus X" gets thrown around in chat a lot
...though, their terminology was "in endgame they carry the team" so maybe that's just two different ways of phrasing it. Magikarps?

Just clicking on an enemy once and watching auto attacks go off just doesn't agree with me. I feel like I should be doing something rather than watching my character just off auto attacks until they die/stand and fight/lead me into turret range...

Vayne has Tumble, that's why I can stand playing her, I'm actively contributing to my damage just rolling after my target. Plus that crossbow knockback from Condemn is insane, especially in jungle fights due to the knockback pinning them to walls and getting the stun
I don't get into a lot of jungle fights. Mostly because I don't know who's good for them and I don't trust myself to actually be able to beat up jungle mobs.

Anyway, thanks for the boost. Probably get back online again soon...

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Go to play Pokemon wifi.
Never heard of Smogon.
Get destroyed because you brought your starter with 4 attacking moves.

Of course I recently beat God of War 3 on hard mode, Zeus is a huge pain in the ass and the only way I got by was by spamming Nemesis rage.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
I was recently playing Battle Field 3 on the 360 (bad idea I know) and while I was on the mission to wait for pickup with Al Bashir, I had trouble with the enemy forces that were coming in. On normal mode the enemy AI is surprisingly smart, meaning that my ass was routinely kicked, the destructable environment didn't help with that. I finally (after 4 tries) cleared out the first floor of baddies and was on to the second round. Now that they were coming through the doors on the second floor (were me, Campo, and Bashir were at) it got a bit challenging. I killed the first 2 no problem, then when they came from the other side, their flashlights were on and somehow blinded me completely. It was a glitch and I got killed 3 more times before I got to the third act. Then I died again. I was THIS close to putting my foot through the tv.

What I learned: Play battle field 3 on PC to avoid glitches.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
One that gave me trouble before I beat it was getting the Annual achievement in Halo 3. We spent a good four or five hours on that before we beat it and one of the guys I was with still introduces me as the guy who helped him get the Annual achievement.

A friend and I have given up trying to beat Gears 2 on Insane. We're stuck on the part just before you fight Skorge because Cole likes to hang out way in back instead of helping, Baird is a suicidal idiot, and my friend (in addition to having to try and save Baird) isn't the wisest of people and often gets himself killed.

I know I've had tough times with certain parts of other games but I can't think of any other cases. Although, the final mission in Gears 3 on Insane would probably be there if it weren't for the fact that we infinite ammo and super reload activated.(It still took us over an hour to do and it was still a ***** of a fight, but I can't imagine how long it would have taken otherwise)

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
This is relevant. I just tried playing the original Fallout for the first time, and not even five minutes into the game I was slaughtered by a group of radscorpions on my way to Vault 15. Original reaction of "HOW DO I TURN-BASED COMBAT" quickly switched to "***** is going down." I quit the game so I could go back and re-read the manual, but then the Escapist distracted me. >.>

I will beat this shit. Tomorrow.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
The Wykydtron said:
US West. It's the closest one to Australia. Average ~190 ping but in LoL ping doesn't seem to matter as much as it would in, say, Call of Duty.

Hardly played any games at all. And I do think the first guy to give me advice "Forget team composition at your level, just play one character to perfection" is probably a better idea, especially considering - like I said - I'm a noob.

Nobody can 1v1 Twitch; better nerf Irelia. ...Then buff Garen because Darius made him pointless.

Appropriate Captcha: 'creepy crawler'

Heard Darius was carry from a friend of mine, but he seems just normal...

Anyway, thanks for the boost. Probably get back online again soon...

Y-you actually follow the recommended items?! To the letter?! Oh you poor soul. I have no idea what Riot thinks when they make those builds... The late game items are good, but sometimes they put mana items in characters who have little mana problems (Manamune for Gangplank?) and other nonsense like that.

If all else fails you can do what I do and type "[insert champion name here] build lol" into google and it'll give you the highest rated guide on mobafire.com

And yeah i've never really noticed ping ever doing anything important in LoL, one guy was on 999 ping which has to be the max and he was playing perfectly fine, took the piss to load but he didn't lag in the end!

Though in very rare occasions when it does lag it's so different to what lag is in say, an FPS. You might skip a few frames or drop into Bizarro World.

You'll have the odd idiot downloading 50 different things at once while playing (and complaining about lag the whole time, naturally) but i've never lagged much myslf

I've heard Darius being called a carry as well. He's not clearly, he does too well both early and mid game to accurately be called a carry

Once laned against a Garen... Let's just say the "Garen in every bush" meme is well founded DX

And that guy is telling the truth, nobody cares about team comp in unranked, you're lucky if you even have a Jungler. I've had a team that had 3 AD carries (I was one of them, Vayne is finally free this week damn it!) on it before. We still won I think. It's like when when you're against 3 tanks and it's so far away from the usual "metagame" people don't know wtf they're supposed to do.

Yeah you build items based around dealing more damage to high health enemies but tailoring a build to fit the scenario in unranked? It's just not going to happen.

And yes, AD Carry Magikarps ^^

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Ancient Domains of Mystery. I create a character, smash my way through 15 dungeon levels, and then, just as I'm starting to really get into it, I step into a fire trap and die.
And then I sigh and start all over again. I wonder if this qualifies as a mental illness?