THQ Blames Homefront Single Player for Lukewarm Reviews

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"The Franchise"? We can expect more of these abominations?
Please please please can we have a game about Mexicans complaining about all the US refugees illegally coming into their country and stealing their jobs.

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
This examplifies what is wrong with modern FPS games. They focus all on multiplayer, tack on a campaign and expect people to disregard the latter, which isn't going to happen (UT3 is an exception i guess.. i dunno why)

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Good thing I avoided this game. The devs basically considered the single-player mode an afterthought since they put nearly all their time into multiplayer.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Blame singleplayer? No. Blame CoD for appearing before Homefront. If you make games to appease the plebs don't expect good reviews from people with a more sceptical opinion.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I don't blame the length of the singleplayer. That's just unfair. After all, the REAL problem with it is that the actual gameplay is just BAD. I mean, honestly, it's bad. I hated it. It's one of the few games that the gameplay is bad enough, in just the right way, that I couldn't finish it. I just, flat out, couldn't finish it. I have dragged myself through so many games with subpar gameplay, but I got to the point where loading up Homefront almost immediately made me angry, as soon as I loaded my save game, because of how bad the gameplay was.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I played at a friend's house,and I was facepalming the entire time.
They made an unbelievable universe with evil,gritty reboot of saturday morning cartoon villains,and duct taped it together with a story where you accomplish almost nothing.
Weapons are uninspired,sound effects are awful,characters are silly and the game is riddled by bad scripted scenes.
I mean,having to wait until all the npcs are up the ladder,then wait 2 seconds so you can press a button and a script will make your character play a ladder climbing animation.

I did not play the multiplayer,but I agree with their position,Homefront's singleplayer is awful for a AAA game.I would have accepted it if it was a studio with less budget/time,but this is just unacceptable.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Pathetic. Utterly derivative porridge that prematurely ejaculates in sloppy, predictable fashion all over the gullible faces of the regular gamer. Gee, thanks!

Not ONE THING remains with me after completing this "wack-a-mole-COD-clone", other than how much of an insufferable wank-rag Connor was throughout the entire affair. "Uninspired" would be an understatement of gargantuan proportions. "F" for "fail".

They should hang their heads in shame.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Well, at least they know what the main problem was. Hopefully they also know what they need to do to fix it.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Ah, a lousy campaign leading to poor reviews, because said campaign was hyped to all the way to the dark side of Mercury? Good of you guys to address what is actually wrong with the bloody game. But let me tell you something right now: focusing solely on multiplayer wouldn't have made any difference. The CoD Ritalin popping brigade already has a monopoly on that, so you'd be at best getting a few crumbs rather than a slice of the success cake.

PS: WOLVERINES!!!

PPS: Yeah, the whole Red Dawn thing probably didn't help either.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I mean really WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING

I was seriously interested...you disapoint me Homefront

Slim-Shot

Aug 9, 2009
The single player was OK. Nothing special. What was particularly great though was that I couldn't play it online the week it came out, and whenever I tried, it crashed my router... If you're going to release a game that depends heavily on multi player, at least make it work.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
HankMan said:
<spoiler= It doesn't take a genius to figure out>
http://seancercone.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/duh-duh1233387823.jpg
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"The Franchise"? We can expect more of these abominations?
I heard the next one takes place in London apparently.
Yaay! Now videogames will have the additional dubious distinction of having started the second Red Scare.

The Korean War starts up again in 2014, everybody! Better start hitting the gym and buying life-insurance so that you're ready when the draft hits.

Well, probably not, but honestly, the free world has bigger problems right now than communism, like the fact that so many of our youth are becoming enamored with communism because apparently our school systems haven't done a good job of teaching our kids that communism sucks balls.

Aside from that, pretty much every communist country that hasn't embraced free-market capitalism to some extent, like China has, has pretty much collapsed on its own or just kind of withered away into third-world-ness. And if North Korea gets hold of satellites capable of EMPing an entire continent before any of the UN countries can do anything about it, I think we kind of deserve what we get.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
If they're going to make it a franchise, they maybe they'll make one for Australia...

If this is the case, then any shortcomings in the first game are completely forgiven, THQ!!

To be honest, I really wouldn't care how unrealistic the situation is, how short the campaign is, or even if the Australians are the guys you're shooting (in fact, I reckon I'd prefer that), it'd just be INSANELY refreshing to see something not set in the US or in Europe; I'd buy it launch day.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Megawat22 said:
Length doesn't mean anything. My Dragon Age 2 save has 17 hours playtime on it and that was 17 hours of "Bleeeeeaaaaargh..." for me. Portal is 4 (5 if you're thick like me) hours and is one big tutorial but it was great.
There's potential in Homefront. The back story was really well done but the way it was presented was silly. Rebels and Guerilla fighting should have been going on. Not mini wars and 2 armies meeting in the middle of a bridge.
There's potential, they just need to know what to do.
length does matter there is simply no way you can justify spending full price on 5 hours its rediculus (unless its some super and rare amazing game like portal)and even then Im not sure id pay full price for the first portal

I actually think its a serious problem if gamers put up with it...your simply getting less for your money,

I mean you dont go and advertise the story and present the game as somthing different and then do a fucking COD...stupid stupid stupid stupid STUPID!!!

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
kman123 said:
Seriously? That many sales? Does it mean that the sequel will be just as short, knowing they can make enough sales with a minimal amount of effort?
I wouldn't have thought they'd be that naive. If they are considering it they should know that I wont be buying the next one until it hits the sales - have to recoup my losses on the original.

I do like the game - flame all you want, but I just found it too short.

drunken_munki

Nov 14, 2007
Kevlar Eater said:
Good thing I avoided this game. The devs basically considered the single-player mode an afterthought since they put nearly all their time into multiplayer.
Glad I bypassed it as well. I miss decent single player. Maybe Duke will shake this all up when it is out.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
It was a huge mistake to overhype the single player campaign and then deliver such a lackluster experience. Sure, the backstory is great and I know they had big dreams, but they couldn't live up to their marketing.

I'd be willing to try another game in the series if they polish up the engine and make the single player experience more robust.