THQ Blames Homefront Single Player for Lukewarm Reviews

Feb 13, 2008
thaluikhain said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"The Franchise"? We can expect more of these abominations?
Please please please can we have a game about Mexicans complaining about all the US refugees illegally coming into their country and stealing their jobs.
That would be layers of awesome.

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
Yeah the campaign was short, boring, and overall not fun. The multiplayer section was great (until they nerfed the spy drone) and kept me from CoD and Halo for a solid month. But, since they promoted the setting and story of the game so much in promotion, it was the focus of many reviews. almost every review I watched/read talked about multiplayer like it was a footnote.

also the story was awful. The dialog was terrible and the game tried way to hard at pulling at emotions.

Finally it didn't feel like America since their was no advertisement. where were the McDonald's and Starbucks? It feels like a great way to make the environment more convincing while getting sponsors.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
so...tired...of...america.
i mean, seriously, are the game devs (and much of the population, mainly those who i see on tv) so idiotic that they have more combined teeth than brain cells? earlier games arnt all just set in america (or america invading another country which is semi-hostile in real life) or that one period in Europe where sword play was common.

you wanna blame anything? blame the same browny shit that is the bulk of the FPS industry and every game comming out is either more browny shit or a mirror, to copy the rest.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
I can't speak for any other purchaser, but I don't care about multiplayer, so an utter lack of single player (seriously $15 per hour of gameplay) made this any easy pass for me.

Better luck next time.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I still find it hilarious how 70/100 is considered bad.

I mean, that's pretty damn good considering how everything that isn't games is rated.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"The Franchise"? We can expect more of these abominations?
I didnt think it... okay, the having to wait for your teammates to open doors for you was annoying, story isnt really anything special, short as fuck, these are probably just a few of the problems, but I would like to see it continue... I liked the Multi-player, and really thats the only reason I usually buy most shooters, for multi-player. I still think of it as more fun than fucking Black Ops (I talk specifically about the PC version, which when I stopped playing about two months or so ago, was utter shit...)

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Andronicus said:
If they're going to make it a franchise, they maybe they'll make one for Australia...

If this is the case, then any shortcomings in the first game are completely forgiven, THQ!!

To be honest, I really wouldn't care how unrealistic the situation is, how short the campaign is, or even if the Australians are the guys you're shooting (in fact, I reckon I'd prefer that), it'd just be INSANELY refreshing to see something not set in the US or in Europe; I'd buy it launch day.
Knowing Australia's luck, the Government would ban it from being sold in their country while it was still in the middle of development.

OT: They over hyped the single player, what did they expect when the game is 5 hours long, thats like DLC quality right there. Cmon THQ, you can do much better than this.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I've heard some pretty terrible things about the multiplayer as well (mostly for PC). This kind of falls in the same vein: prior to release they were promoting the hell out of the "fact" that this was developed with PC players in mind and that the PC version was going to be a cut above. Turns out that was a big fat lie.

So, note to THQ: don't blatantly lie to people in the pre-release promo. That's a bad thing.

The first part of this captcha appears to be a series of vertical lines, or at the very least is written in Sanskrit (which my keyboard doesn't have):

I'm starting to feel like I'm taking a Rorschach test every time I do these things.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Not short campaigns, saying your campaign is 8-10 hours, but 6 hours if you're really good when it ends up only taking 4 if you've ever used a computer in your life makes for unhappy reviewers. Also, dumbing down the online play after a week for all those noobs that are used to living through a dozen bullets like in Halo and Call of Duty doesn't help much either.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
In related news:
Derp derp derp.

So what he's saying is: "Half of our game was intensively uninteresting, and made the review scores go down. If you ignore the part of the game we marketed the most, the game might be an average brown shooter."

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
dogstile said:
I still find it hilarious how 70/100 is considered bad.

I mean, that's pretty damn good considering how everything that isn't games is rated.
Uhm, no. The scoring system is related to the way grades are assigned in the US school system. A 70/100 is a C, which is just barely passing. And contrary to what you may hear here, a 7/10 and below has always been considered sub-par. There was never a time when such a game was still widely praised outside of the usual fan circle. It's not the mark of a terrible game by any means, but to pretend that ratings below 70 being considered bad is just a recent thing is just plain false. However, the whole 10/10 thing is pretty new. If I were nothing but a cynical misanthrope, I would say that is because some publishers like to plaster certain review sites with banner ads. The site owners can then not really refuse to give the people who pay their rent/hookers a pass when it comes to reviewing their game of choice. Or you know...fanboys filling the reviewer's inbox with hatemail when they don't praise the insipid CoD/Halo du jour as the second coming.

On a completely unrelated matter:

Is anybody else getting kinda dizzy from looking at these stupid things? I'm sure this wash-out effect is every Dyslexic's nightmare...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I really, really enjoyed Homefront!

No, I didn't buy the game or play it in any manner whatsoever, but I did have a lot of fun bitching about its implausibility in the forums. Thanks for the entertainment THQ!

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
Noooooooooooo you think maybe the campaign was the reason why people didn't like the campaign. I know there is multiplayer too but when nearly every critic says that the campaign wasn't very good but that the multiplayer was really good do you really think people disliked it for its multiplayer. I know that I am generalising a bit but that was the general consensus. The problem is that they spent all of the marketing building up the campaign then deliver an idiotic four hour long campaign whilst not even mentioning the multiplayer which was good.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
They spend all these months propagating this great and rich story only to release game with a 4 hour single player and cookie cutter multiplayer, ripped off every single fucking FPS multiplayer mode out there and then they complain that the game scores poorly on metacritic?

Only goes to show how far are the people responsible for selling this game are removed from the gaming market...

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
THQ Blames Homefront Single Player for Lukewarm Reviews

Four hour campaigns apparently don't make for happy reviewers.
Filed under: logan westbrook, brian farrell, homefront, pc, ps3, shooter, single player, thq, xbox 360
Should also be filed under "No duh."

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I got about 30 minutes into it and stopped it was just god awfully boring.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
See, I WANT to play this game. I think the story sounds interesting--if slightly on the "No way in Hell" side--and reviewers seemed to point out that what little there was of the single player was good. But I keep hearing how short it is, and I don't want to pay sixty dollars for four hours of gameplay.
Perhaps when the price goes down, I'll pick it up.