THQ Closes Homefront Studio

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Closes Homefront Studio

Homefront [http://www.amazon.com/Homefront-Pc/dp/B003Q55Y5C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307985313&sr=8-3] developer Kaos Studios has been closed down by THQ while the studio formerly known as Juice Games is also reportedly on the chopping block.

It was all the way back in one million copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107298-Homefront-Devs-Worried-About-Possible-Montreal-Move] in its first ten days of release, Kaos is officially no more.

"THQ continues its strategy of aligning the best industry talent with the company's marquee franchises," the company said in a statement. "The Montreal studio will take over product development and overall creative management for the Homefront franchise. The Montreal studio actively collaborated with Kaos on Homefront."

One million copies may not be much when compared to the runaway success of the Call of Duty [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Pc/dp/B003JVF728/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307985625&sr=8-4] franchise but as an unknown quantity from a mid-level publisher, it's nothing to sneeze at. While unquestionably flawed, it was successful enough to warrant a sequel; just not from Kaos, apparently. THQ added that it is "actively hiring" for its operations in Montreal, Vancouver and Austin, and that former Kaos employees will be offered a chance to interview for jobs in those studios.

In other news, THQ has also issued notice to the 46 employees at Digital Warrington, the studio formerly known as Juice Games, that they too have fallen victim to the "strategic realignment." The developer's first full game since being rebranded, the XBLA/PSN arcade title Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team, was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3362-Warhammer-40k-Kill-Team-Announcement] on June 2.

When a studio can push over a million units less than two weeks after launch and end up shut down for its efforts, is it any wonder that most major-publisher releases these days are such derivative crapola? Best wishes for the future to everyone at Kaos and Digital Warrington.

Sources: Develop [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35190/THQ_Shutters_UK_Studio_Homefront_Developer_Kaos.php]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Awwww man, THQ. You guys trying to get me to hate you, too?

Don't you guys ever mess with Volition, you hear me?

Apr 28, 2008
Shame to hear. Best of luck to the people let go.

Andy Chalk said:
When a studio can push over a million units less than two weeks after launch and end up shut down for its efforts, is it any wonder that most major-publisher releases these days are such derivative crapola?
Perhaps if you push 1 million units and still fail its a sign that your business practices are flawed in some way.

Games are costing more and more to make, but what is that money being put towards? Games seem to keep getting shorter, less complex, and less original. Yet the price to make them keeps rising.

What the fuck are they spending that money on?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
When a studio can push over a million units less than two weeks after launch and end up shut down for its efforts, is it any wonder that most major-publisher releases these days are such derivative crapola? Best wishes for the future to everyone at Kaos and Digital Warrington.
Whilst I won't disagree with the sentiments at the end, and wish to add my own, is this not actually a good move for THQ?

Sales aren't everything. Homefront didn't get critical success, and I wonder how the post-release sales were. Kaos have released two games to date, neither of which achieved any lasting success, financially or critically. It's almost certainly THQ cutting the fat before it weighs them down.

Here's to hoping that the staff of Kaos and Digital Warrington can find work elsewhere.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Irridium said:
Shame to hear. Best of luck to the people let go.

Andy Chalk said:
When a studio can push over a million units less than two weeks after launch and end up shut down for its efforts, is it any wonder that most major-publisher releases these days are such derivative crapola?
Perhaps if you push 1 million units and still fail its a sign that your business practices are flawed in some way.

Games are costing more and more to make, but what is that money being put towards? Games seem to keep getting shorter, less complex, and less original. Yet the price to make them keeps rising.

What the fuck are they spending that money on?
Exactly! Game quality goes down while costs go up. Something is seriously wrong with this industry, and publishers are walking away with heaps of cash to keep buying up studios then destroying them with little consideration once the product is released and new cash flow is established.

I once aspired to be involved in making games, but not anymore given how terrible the industry seems to be, constantly fearing for job security isn't a nice way to live.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
They have my sympathy.

However, it is not hard to see why. If I?m not mistaken, it has 71-70 for the Xbox and Playstation versions on Metacritic. The game was lambasted for being short as well.

Oh, well, here?s to hoping my favorite developer doesn?t go under. *Crosses fingers* Please let Dungeon Siege 3 be good.

TeH PizZa Guy

Apr 6, 2010
the game sold more then a million copies, and they still count that as a fail? WTF?! I'm really confused at THQs strategy at the moment, more so then Activisions.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is epic fail. I feel for Kaos. The fact is, they moved a lot of units. As an illustration of how retarded it is that they have been closed down, everyone is off the wall excited about Dark Souls, while Demon's Souls sold only 400k units.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
They had 2 big shots with making a great game and ended up making the same game twice, Frontlines and Homefront are very similar, Homefront is like a refined version of Frontlines.

I kind of lost hope that this studio would bring something new to the table and apparently so did THQ. I wouldnt close them but I would get rid of them.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Baresark said:
This is epic fail. I feel for Kaos. The fact is, they moved a lot of units. As an illustration of how retarded it is that they have been closed down, everyone is off the wall excited about Dark Souls, while Demon's Souls sold only 400k units.
Course, Homefront was competing with Call of Duty, whether they liked it or not, and if they didn't beat Call of Duty, or at least steal part of their audience, then as far as the suits are concerned, the whole project was a failure.

Demon's Souls on the other hand was a completely off the wall fluke. As far as triple A titles go, it's in a complete genre of its own, with its near masochistic level of difficulty. For such a niche title, one without any existing fanbase to begin with, and with such an original, unexamined style of gameplay, 400k is a massive number of sales.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah it sold a lot, but was short and CRAP. I for one wouldnt even consider their next game. So good riddance.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Maybe it's because Homefront was a pile of sodden cereal boxes held together with spit. But that's just my opinion.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
josemlopes said:
They had 2 big shots with making a great game and ended up making the same game twice, Frontlines and Homefront are very similar, Homefront is like a refined version of Frontlines.

I kind of lost hope that this studio would bring something new to the table and apparently so did THQ. I wouldnt close them but I would get rid of them.
Wow, even when losing jobs people still will bring their hate to the table. People losing their jobs is a bad thing no matter what your opinion is toward them.

I'm relly sad by this news, homefront may have not been a excellent game but at least they great ideas and original concepts. My feelings go out to the developers who lost their jobs.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
THQ: No, really! We're one of the big publishers! Look, we're closing down one of our game studios for no adequately explored reason! The other publishers do that, don't they?

Random Kaos Employee: What?! Look, I know that Homefront wasn't exactly the "Call of Duty" killing juggernaut that you guys wanted, but it still sold a million copies. That's still something, right?

THQ: Get out, goddammit! *throws a desk lamp*

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but lately we've been seeing a lot of what I'm interpreting as somewhat childish "small name, big ego" behavior from THQ, and frankly we've long passed the point in which it was amusing.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, good news THQ! You wanted to be a big boy like EA, and now you are a big boy like EA in the "we shut down studios" department. Congratulations, I guess...

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Saucycardog said:
josemlopes said:

Wow, even when losing jobs people still will bring their hate to the table. People losing their jobs is a bad thing no matter what your opinion is toward them.

I'm relly sad by this news, homefront may have not been a excellent game but at least they great ideas and original concepts. My feelings go out to the developers who lost their jobs.
What original ideas? seriously.
The opinions are towards their product not them. I can still be glad there wont be that particular team making a game again.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Meanwhile, THQ announces their 49 millionth WWE wrestling title, WWE OverMilked SteroidFest MMXI.

Seriously, fuck THQ.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I was hoping that they'd make a sequal that was better then the original.

I feel bad for them, first their game does bad, then they get shut down.