THQ Stock Price Crashes

hatseflats

Aug 22, 2011
That's a real shame. They've made some of the most enjoyable games of the past few years. I enjoyed Red Faction Guerilla, Metro 2033 and Saint's Row tremendously.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well fuck. I know virtually nothing about economics so I'd like to know what's next for THQ? What are their options?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Seriously, am I the only one around here whose main experience with THQ has been shovelware? I know they have some real games, but it doesn't seem to be at the core of their business plan.
It kinda depends which platform you encountered them on. On the PC (and I assume 360 and PS3), Shovelware seemed to be in the minority. If you went to the the GBA and (I think) the PSPwhatever, most of what the turned out was shovelware.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
=hidden to save your shame]
Well that didn't take long. They split on their investors, now their investors are splitting on them.
Someone hasn't played Saints Row the Third.

That game was everything GTA4 was supposed to be but wasn't, and then some. God damnit, it was the only genuinely fun single-player game of 2011 and so much was promised still for Saints Row Goes Forth.

FUUUUUUCK!! Why are publishers behind such great studios like THQ failing while Activision pops out a COD4 clone every 12 months making billions upon billions!?!? Why does EA exist at ALL!!?!?

Company of Heroes 2 is ALMOST HERE?!?!

The only way you cannot give a fuck is if you are one of those rare breed of gamers who don't play games. Or at least not any of the games relevant to the topic at hand.

Darksiders
Metro: last Light
Company of Heroes

This is a GOOD PUBLISHER! One of the better ones around.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
flarty said:
Unfortunately thats subjective, not a fact.
Unfortunately, that's irrelevant, since they only have to be mediocre in his opinion.
erm not when he appears to be stating it as fact. I enjoyed a few games from THQ and just because he feels the games they've published were not up to his standard, doesn't mean he should think it was OK for people to lose their jobs. In fact that's the worst reason to think anyone is deserving of losing their job. "I didn't like your game, hope you get fired!" is a good mentality?

Besides i think DVS BSTrD is more than capable of defending his own comments from criticisms.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Im sorry to see this.

Loved Dawn of war, got into the lore and the books thanks to the games.

Loved Metro 2033, Also read and loved the book thanks to the game.

Thoroughly enjoyed Company of Heroes....

THQ deserved better than this

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
fi6eka said:
You also forgot to mention "Saints Row the Turd".
That awful pun is as bad as your taste in games.

Be honest now, have you even played Saints Row the Third?

I have and I haven't played any other game like it, it is BRILLIANT! It's everything GTA was supposed to be but had spent too much time with its head up it's ass with heavy handed un-funny satire.

Also the Saints Row 3's PC version was wonderful, so good. Did everything right. Maybe that's why console gamers shat on it, no lock-on aim like in GTA4. Well it was refreshing on PC with mouse aim.

The game scaled wonderfully, constantly upping the ante and giving more and more abilities yet always raising the challenge. The customisation was everything I hoped for from character creation to vehicles. Making my own character and styling her as a badass militant revolutionary... I got attached to that game.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I've got all the religious symbols I could muster, and I'm praying to every god I've heard of so that EA or Activision doesn't buy them out.

I'm really sad to hear the news, THQ weren't perfect, but they were one of the better Publishers out there.
Now we get to watch the big companies get bigger. Again.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
THQ had one or two good licenses, but that's about it.

Looks like the market pulled a THQQQ.

Eh? Eeeeeeh?

*waits for 'Applause' to start flashing*

Aw, fuck it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Treblaine said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Well that didn't take long. They split on their investors, now their investors are splitting on them.
Yes I have: Saints Row 3 was the Call of Duty- Black Ops of sandbox gaming.
What possible basis can you have for that other than and utterly baseless and meaningless attempt at denigration?

Saints Row 3 delivered far more than the supposed king of city sandbox gaming; GTA4. GTA4 looked good, was reviewed highly and sold well yet in retrospect everyone hated. That's Black Ops.

Saints Row wasn't reviewed highly, didn't sell well and in retrospect people say it was overlooked.

It had freaking jet bikes... JET BIKES!!

I don't know about your motorcycle BUT MINE IS A JET AND IT CAN FLY!!!!

It was an open world with far more enemy variety.

Please, HOW is Saints Row the Third the "Black ops of Sandbox games"?!?! What is a better sandbox game.

If anything Saints Row the Third is the Serious Sam 3 of sandbox games!! GTA4 is the Black Ops.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh I've got empathy, I just prefer not to waste it on people who make mediocre games.
I don't think you understand how empathy works Mr Cyborg-who-doesn't-understand-humanity.

Empathy is not pure self-interest of caring when someone who benefits you goes away and can no longer benefit you.

Empathy is for all other sentient beings you can relate to, they make games and you show enough interest in games to comment on a gaming forum and decide if they are mediocre or not. See you don't merely "not have an opinion" you have taken interest and become involved enough to decide they are mediocre.

Or have you?

Is it that THQ just hasn't got the whizz-bang 100-million dollar marketing presence of Activision or EA to grab your interest, and you mistake your lack of interest for assumption of mediocrity. Is your lack of attraction you assuming there is nothing there to be attracted to,

See, I thought Saints Row The Third was "mediocre"... before I played it. Hell, I bought it in a steam sale and didn't play it for months. God dammit, if it wasn't the sandbox game we'd been promised after San Andreas but eternally denied. It looked good, it played like mario kart racing through the streets, it had such variety and pacing. I. Love. It.

But for almost a year after it's release, I would have listed it as "Mediocre".

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Slycne said:
DVS BSTrD said:

Tell that to Relic Entertainment, Vigil Games and Volition, who are all genuinely talented developers that will be affected by THQ's mismanagement.
Oh dear!
The makers of Darksiders, Warhammer 40,000, and Saints Row 3 might go down with them?
What shame! /sarcasm

You reap what you sow
I was just wondering, we have established that you have TERRIBLE taste in what you think are bad games, please tell us what you think are "good" games.

After all, you're not many any kind of reasoned argument, it's all just your opinion from your tastes. Lets see what your tastes are.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
This just in: The Titanic may be in real trouble. It turns out that the release of all those little boats were not meant to repair the ship and that none of them have cross Atlantic capabilities. Apparently if you can't fix the actual boat, it will continue to sink.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Nihlus2 said:
Fappy said:
I'm beginning to think a buy-out will be the best case scenario for THQ at this point.
Which is not really a comforting thought, considering who the primary buy-out'ers might be.
Zenimax (daddy of Bethesda, id software, Arkane Studios (Dishonored)), Take-Two interactive* or Square Enix would be most likely and ideal. Square Enix bought out Eidos in 2009 and seem to have run it well. Take-Two owns Rockstar and so GTA which is a major competitor with Saints Row series. Or is it? GTA seems to be going in a completely different direction from Saints Row.

Very bad takeover options would be Activision or EA. Though I'd prefer Activision than EA. Preferably neither.

Valve buyout would be great, but it seems a bit too much of a reach for them.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
fi6eka said:
Soviet Heavy said:
So Homeworld, the Dawn of War Series, Company of Heroes, Darksiders and the Metro Franchise are all mediocre to you? Or are you just being petty for the sake of it?
If I may weigh in on the conversation:
DaW2's campaign was pointles busy-work,Retribution had zero replay value and the MP was a spess mehreen fuck-fest.Chaos rising was good though.And while on the subject of Multiplayer, CoH had no balance - it get's pretty annoying when you get Nazi bum-raped in the first 30 seconds just becouse you didn't choose the exact counter unit to what the enemy has(or maybe I was just bad at it,but I digress).

Space Marine also was a festival a boring repetative combat, mediocre story and less sad about the boss fights the better.

I admmit THQ has released some of my most beloved games, but I can't turn a blind eye to the mediocrity of resent years.
Company of Hero's is one of the best RTS games made, period. The game required tactical thinking, rather than zerg rush, the AI was intelligent and its cover system for infantry was perfect. I agree balance was alittle off, but not too badly and tbh good tactics prevailed.
God I hope they don't go under, relic/volalition etc make the best games bar none.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Noooooo.. I like THQ. They're not that amazing, true, but they're not the absolute worst. Poor guys, hope they somehow get out of this alive.

Edit: Found out that THQ is behind Metro: Last Light... COME ON THQ, STAY WITH ME. COME ONNNNN,LIIIIIIIIVE DAMMIT! LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Anyone got $25 million handy as that is all that's needed to buy THQ.
Kickstarter anyone? *is almost serious*

Actually, I have a feeling buying a company would be against the Kickstarter rules. Pity.

TizzytheTormentor said:
Yikes, looks like Pachter made a solid prediction!
I know! Maybe the world really is going to end on December 21st... _>

OT: I'll be sad to see them go. I actually really like Dawn of War II. My boyfriend and I had loads of fun playing the campaign together.

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
fi6eka said:
Soviet Heavy said:
So Homeworld, the Dawn of War Series, Company of Heroes, Darksiders and the Metro Franchise are all mediocre to you? Or are you just being petty for the sake of it?
If I may weigh in on the conversation:
DaW2's campaign was pointles busy-work,Retribution had zero replay value and the MP was a spess mehreen fuck-fest.Chaos rising was good though.And while on the subject of Multiplayer, CoH had no balance - it get's pretty annoying when you get Nazi bum-raped in the first 30 seconds just becouse you didn't choose the exact counter unit to what the enemy has(or maybe I was just bad at it,but I digress).

Space Marine also was a festival a boring repetative combat, mediocre story and less sad about the boss fights the better.

I admmit THQ has released some of my most beloved games, but I can't turn a blind eye to the mediocrity of resent years.
DVS BSTrD said:
Treblaine said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Yes I have: Saints Row 3 was the Call of Duty- Black Ops of sandbox gaming.
News flash ----- Opinions are not fact. Shocking I know.
I enjoyed SR:3 playing co-op with a friend, lots of laughs and lots of fun.
The Warhammer 40k series and Space Marine are among my favourite games. The games are brilliant, the stories are amazing, the art is stunning and lore is spot on. I am not saying their the among the best games out, I am saying they are the best games FOR ME. Just like they aren't good games FOR YOU. Stop stating opinion as fact and you won't come off as such almighty assholes.