TIE TIE FAW

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
never see this game as cod with giant robots. in cod you cant double jump, wall run and dual wield guns and call in support like the very annoying helli. besides your titan, there is nothing else.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Metalrocks said:
never see this game as cod with giant robots. in cod you cant double jump, wall run and dual wield guns and call in support like the very annoying helli. besides your titan, there is nothing else.
I agree. I saw footage from TotalBiscuit and Maximillian Dood, and while it is an FPS with a Call of Duty aesthetic, there's much more mobility than Call of Duty as far as I can tell.

Doomcat

Aug 25, 2010
I'll be honest, the whole titanfall thing looks more fun because of the jetpack and wallrunning/freerunning aspect then the robot aspect.

If anything, (If I got the game) I'd rather spend my time as a person on the ground, using the freerunning abilities to get into fun places to shoot dudes from, rather then getting in a big clunky robot.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
This is the industry as it is today. We heard about nothing but Watch_Dogs for six months leading up to the launch. The game has been out for merely a week, and nobody is really talking about it anymore.
Really? I just counted 8 threads in the the first few pages of the game forum. There's a discussion about wasted potential, about the season pass, about the game "running funny", about how it's "simply amazing", about story-related spoilers, some techie discussion about AMD optimizing the game and a discussion about the game's reviews. There's also one about a dude that's "scared" of the game, for some reason.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I get the feeling that this is currently happening to watch dog, but instead of cod with giant robots its gta with hacking.

I guess that game publishers are much better at marketing than creating games, which is not to say that titanfall and watch dogs are bad games, just that their publishers are very good at creating hype.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
This reminds me of when people called Fallout 3 "oblivion with guns" as a sort of negative connotation, but didn't really understand there was some major gameplay differences between them. To me, "It's [Game X] with [Object Y]!" is really starting to become a double standard, you know?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Not gonna lie; I breathed a heavy sigh of relief seeing today's update.

Y'know, it's weird, I've never really seen anyone call Titanfall CoD with robits. All the same, it was a pretty neat idea. I wonder... why did the hype die down so fast?

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Morale: Don't believe the hype.

If its a FPS with you running around as nameless dude with a gun, be it as a person or mech, its not new original. Stop funding this crap people.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
That's where you're wrong, guys. Titanfall's an EA game, so it's more like BATTLEFIELD with giant Mechsuits!
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
This is the industry as it is today. We heard about nothing but Watch_Dogs for six months leading up to the launch. The game has been out for merely a week, and nobody is really talking about it anymore.
Perhaps because people are still playing it, and they're too drawn in to the big sprawling world of the game to say much about it. Or they're trying to get the cars to drive right. Just touching the accelerate button sends the cars rocketing off and the handle like ass.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
It's not even close to CoD with robot's unless you mean is it a First Person Shooter with giant robots. It's the same old same old, come up with something new and fun, people play for a bit and go back to CoD because despite all the moaning people don't want new and exciting, they want the same drivel and that's why CoD is the biggest selling IP every year and WoW is the most subbed MMO every year.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
That's where you're wrong, guys. Titanfall's an EA game, so it's more like BATTLEFIELD with giant Mechsuits!
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Perhaps because people are still playing it, and they're too drawn in to the big sprawling world of the game to say much about it. Or they're trying to get the cars to drive right. Just touching the accelerate button sends the cars rocketing off and the handle like ass.
Use a bike they actually handle great, Once you go bike you never go back 0_o

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
I assume all the people who call it that have never actually played it.

It's weird; the only people I've sen who smack-talk Titanfall have never actually played the game, whereas every single person I know who actually owns it and plays it loves the hell out of it.
If there's any "downfall" to this industry, it's people who pass judgment on something they've never experienced, or parrot the negativity they hear without even giving it a shot.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
The pilot weapons act CoD-like. Everything else is nothing like CoD. No killstreak rewards to earn you bigger killstreaks. There's the burncards, but they last for one life which can be cut short just as easily as any other life.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Yea the funny thing is its really not true. Try to play TitanFall like its CoD and you are going to get minced. Really the similarities begin and end with "FPS". But then again this is the escapist, where to some people all MP shooters are "CoD games" including Gears of War and battlefield. Actually the more I think about it, the more fun I can have with this "logic"
The Last of Us? Meh, just Uncharted with mushrooms.
DOTA2? Meh, just League of Legends with hidden shops.
Mortal Kombat 9? Meh, just Street Fighter with gore.
Braid? Meh, just Mario with time puzzles.
Hell I don't even need to limit this go games:
Game of Thrones? Meh, just Lord of the Rings with incest.
Critical Miss? Meh, just CTR+ALT+DEL with hamsters.
Zero Punctuation? Meh, just AVGN with more British.
I could do this for just about everything.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
The weird thing is some of those are sort've correct.

Which is not to say there's something inherently wrong with that. Originality's little more than taking a thing and putting another thing on top of it to make it different.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Huh, so I guess a lot of people can't see that TitanFall has very similar design philosophies to COD 4 and MW2. They're very similar games, with the free running being the only real step forward. It was a fun game, but it burned out quickly for the same reasons recent COD games did. Too much guff, explosions and random nonsense that detracts from the games tactical core. What a shame.

You may now continue defending EA.

BX3 said:
The weird thing is some of those are sort've correct.

Which is not to say there's something inherently wrong with that. Originality's little more than taking a thing and putting another thing on top of it to make it different.
It certainly isn't. I know everyone loves to hate it, but the core gameplay of COD 4 is superb, and TitanFall is a (lopsided) expansion of those ideas. I used the giant robots because the phrase is cute, but the Titans actually add nothing interesting to the game. It'd be more accurate to say it's COD with free-running. Which is a bloody good idea.

Apr 28, 2008
"Believe the hype" - IGN

Though I am still having fun with it. I like my Call of Duty with giant robots.