TIE TIE FAW

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I kinda hate myself for buying into the hype.

I bought the game and played it for like 2 weeks and after reaching max rank I had literally no more will to play more and prestige, because of the low amount of weapons available. It really felt like CoD with Robots to me..most of my gameplay I was doing on foot because using the jetpack was the only fun thing in the game.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
erttheking said:
Yeah, it really does annoy me how games can be slammed and called bad nowadays if they even have one or two things in common with COD. I get that we all hate that game, now can we ease up a bit?
What really fascinates me is that people are still calling it "COD with robots".

It's not even remotely like Call of Duty. If anything, it has more in common with Quake or Unreal Tournament. (two games of which people around here will reminisce about fondly)

Yet, because Respawn was founded by the guys that made Call of Duty (back when it was, you know, GOOD), and because the game has guns and iron-sighting, Titanfall HAS to be like Call of Duty. Even if the game isn't actually like Call of Duty at all.

Klagermeister said:
I assume all the people who call it that have never actually played it.

It's weird; the only people I've sen who smack-talk Titanfall have never actually played the game, whereas every single person I know who actually owns it and plays it loves the hell out of it.
If there's any "downfall" to this industry, it's people who pass judgment on something they've never experienced, or parrot the negativity they hear without even giving it a shot.
Exactly. And yet, these same people (especially on this forum) will actively praise, for example, the next Mass Effect as the greatest thing since sex; even before it's released.

Hypocrisy thy name is gamer culture.

canadamus_prime said:
Yeah, "COD with giant robots" doesn't really sell it to me.
Well then good news! It's not COD with giant robots.

Like I'd said above:
Titanfall has more in common with old-school Quake and Unreal than it does Call of Duty.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah, "COD with giant robots" doesn't really sell it to me.
Well then good news! It's not COD with giant robots.

Like I'd said above:
Titanfall has more in common with old-school Quake and Unreal than it does Call of Duty.
Be that as it may, I'm still not sold as that still doesn't compensate for it's biggest fatal flaw of being an Xbox Done exclusive since it'll be Absolute Zero in hell before I buy one of those.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Be that as it may, I'm still not sold as that still doesn't compensate for it's biggest fatal flaw of being an Xbox Done exclusive since it'll be Absolute Zero in hell before I buy one of those.
It's also on PC and 360. It's not very exclusive. I mean, I guess you could hate Origin and not own a 360, too.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
major_chaos said:
Yea the funny thing is its really not true. Try to play TitanFall like its CoD and you are going to get minced. Really the similarities begin and end with "FPS". But then again this is the escapist, where to some people all MP shooters are "CoD games" including Gears of War and battlefield. Actually the more I think about it, the more fun I can have with this "logic"
The Last of Us? Meh, just Uncharted with mushrooms.
DOTA2? Meh, just League of Legends with hidden shops.
Mortal Kombat 9? Meh, just Street Fighter with gore.
Braid? Meh, just Mario with time puzzles.
Hell I don't even need to limit this go games:
Game of Thrones? Meh, just Lord of the Rings with incest.
Critical Miss? Meh, just CTR+ALT+DEL with hamsters.
Zero Punctuation? Meh, just AVGN with more British.
I could do this for just about everything.
Oooh! I like this game. Mind if I play?

Bioshock? Meh, just Half-Life with heroin-based X-men powers.
Mass Effect? Meh, just Star Wars with worse writing.
Dragon Age? Meh, just How to Train Your Dragon with boring characters.
Okami? Meh, just Legend of Zelda with a less inspired lead.
Dark Souls? Meh, just Elder Scrolls without the creativity.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
It's also on PC and 360. It's not very exclusive. I mean, I guess you could hate Origin and not own a 360, too.
'Tis it? Oh well I'll be damned. Still not buying it, due to limited game budget, but at least I have options.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
It is on PC and Xbox360 as well. I personally bought it on PC and have been playing off and on since launch.

But, either way, I'm not trying to convince you to buy it. Was just pointing out that it's honestly not like Call of Duty, save for at the most superficial level.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
'Tis it? Oh well I'll be damned. Still not buying it, due to limited game budget, but at least I have options.[/quote]

Wasn't sure if you didn't know, or just didn't have those systems (or hate Origin). TBH, I didn't know it was out for the 360 until about a week before launch. I still don't own it. Not because it's CoD with robots, but because I saw a lot of middling things about it, including limited maps and balance issues.

Still, I've seen a lot of the people who have played it liken it to Call of Duty with Robots. I just don't know for sure because I haven't played it. But some of the defenses in here (like the guy who said you could dual wield in TF) don't help.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Vigormortis said:
What really fascinates me is that people are still calling it "COD with robots".

It's not even remotely like Call of Duty. If anything, it has more in common with Quake or Unreal Tournament. (two games of which people around here will reminisce about fondly)
I don't see that connection at all. How does Titanfall have more in common with Quake and Unreal Tournament than COD? Titanfall is easily more closely related to COD than to Quake and Unreal Tournament.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
porous_shield said:
I don't see that connection at all. How does Titanfall have more in common with Quake and Unreal Tournament than COD? Titanfall is easily more closely related to COD than to Quake and Unreal Tournament.
The parkour system, movement speed, and overall agility of the player characters feel far more like old-school Quake than they do Call of Duty.

I grew up on first person shooters. I cut my teeth on Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, and have favored the genre since then. I've played everything from Half-Life to Bioshock to Deus Ex to Hexen to Rise of the Triad to Geist to Metroid Prime, you name it. I spent probably far too much time playing many shooters at a competitive level. (ah, the joys of a misspent youth) So, from my experience, Titanfall harkens back to the old arena shooter days - with wall running, bunny hopping, and positional skill being just as crucial as fast, pin-point accuracy.

It may have a veneer of "modern shooter" on the surface, but at it's core it's got far more in common with old-school shooters than it does most modern ones.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Well, it was fun for about 20 hours, then ya...

Even all the game "journalists" stopped talking about it a week after release even though they spent months upon months talking it up.

I'm so glad that I didn't buy a season pass or whatever it is.

Marauder Shields

Sep 17, 2013
Cerebrawl said:
Honestly I burned out on Titanfall in 1 hour after I got my beta key, must be some kind of record.

The freerunning was sort of ok, but it felt inferior to Warframe, which I'd played a lot of. Key word: felt. It was too floaty, no weight to the moves, it didn't feel fluid, it ran out too soon, or was too limited, the enviroments supported it badly(wallruns and wall jumping works so much better when you can chain them, which requires less open enviroments), and it didn't work nearly as good in first person as in third.

The gunplay is bland, the titans were fun the first 10 or times or so.
You successfully bait me into this thread

Parkour in Warframe? are you kidding me? shooting bullet sponge enemy with ONE UBER BUILD and endless grinding just to get you pay to win?

Today players are really shallow.