Times you were fuzzled over by the police.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Katherine Kerensky said:
I bought a souvenir in Paris when I was younger. Apparently, a cop did not like the transaction, and came at me and the seller with a truncheon of some sort. Swung and hit my hand, scared and chased off the souvenir merchant.
Luckily the crystal Eiffel Tower I bought wasn't damaged, but I had to find the guy I bought it from to get the LED base.
And then there was the time the police knocked on the door because they were after my asshole house-mate. They were... unkind in the manner they asked me about him. Apparently they were joking, but they certainly didn't act like it at the time.
So, I haven't really had the best experience with police, even if I want to respect them for what they do.
I have zero respect for police except that they have a gun and the authority to use it. I assume any cop I'm interacting with is corrupt and/or incompetent and have a polite and professional manner in my interaction to minimize the amount of time I have to be in contact with them. I've never had a truly bad experience but more than once interacted with cops were assholes and had attitudes like they were big shits instead of little dicks.

That probably comes off as harsh, and there are some great cops out there, but the ones that suck ruin it for everyone.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Terminalchaos said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Terminalchaos said:
Um, I was talking to OP, since I didn't quote anyone. Not sure why you responded to me, if it's because I've never had an issue with the police, the climate in New Zealand is very different to the US in regards to how the police treat people.
By the placement of your non-quoted response I could not tell if you were responding to the last poster (in that case me) or the op. didn't think it was a big deal to keep the conversation going.

I will say the US justice system is the single largest source of actual REAL institutional racism in our country. Justice system reforms would solve a lot of the contentious issues our country has. Too bad its not in the interests of those that profit from what is essentially exploitation of slave labor to stop it. Private prisons are an ethically horrid concept.
No worries, I was just confused is all. Sorry :)

From what I see in our news and such, the police seem way more rough in the US.

Potjeslatinist

Feb 3, 2016
I was falsely accused for the murder of my wife, so I had to go on the run. This cop corners me and I tell him that I didn't do it. Know what this asshole says? "I don't care." So I had to jump down a goddamn waterfall.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Potjeslatinist said:
I was falsely accused for the murder of my wife, so I had to go on the run. This cop corners me and I tell him that I didn't do it. Know what this asshole says? "I don't care." So I had to jump down a goddamn waterfall.
You're...Harrison Ford??

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Nothing serious for me. Being white and growing up in one of the wealthier parts of the bluest state in the US was a pretty ironclad defense against that, as long as I didn't do anything really dumb.

The best I've got is getting stuck in super slow traffic for hours on the highway, only to find out that the cause of this whole mess was caused by one officer who couldn't be bothered to park his car all the way into the breakdown lane when he pulled someone over.

born4fun

May 2, 2016
Just a few months ago, I was at a red light in my car. The windows were all up, except for a tiny crack in the driver's window. I was puffing away on my Kanger DripBox 160, which produces massive clouds, and this cop pulls up next to me. He waits until the light turns green, then pulls up behind me and pulls me over. He was positive that my vape was weed oil. I showed him how huge the thing is. I let him smell the e-juice. I even took him to the site I bought it from so that he could read the description:

http://www.vaporauthority.com/products/kanger-dripbox-160-starter-kit

He simply wouldn't believe me. After nearly an hour, he gets a freakin K9 unit there to check my whole car. The entire ordeal lasted nearly two hours. Finally, when the cop let me go, he said something like "ok get out of here." No sorry; no please--nothing. I'm upset about this incident to this day!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Never really had a terrible experience. Most cops don't like me because I'm a local journalist, but I kind of get that. I am always around asking questions they'd be fairly stupid to answer. After one interview a couple of city firefighters got demoted for giving out details they weren't supposed to so now police and fire immediately clam up when they find out someone is a journalist... even when I'm off the clock. A drunk ran into my parked car and while everyone was waiting for the wrecker to get the truck out of my yard I was chatting with one officer, when another came up and said he needed to talk with that officer. The second officer had recognized my name... and now none of the officers would talk at all if I was around. As if I'd even bother with a report on that accident.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
tf2godz said:
I'm going vet here, Some of you who play overwatch with me maybe wondering where I have been. Well about 3 weeks ago we were raided by NY cops despite the fact we live in PA, (I'm not sure that's legal without the feds.) They were investigating a money laundering scheme. My family is pretty much declared innocent, they already made the arrests for the case but They took all are phones and computers with them for evidences. We got a lawyer on the case and he said he would get our stuff back in about 3 day, and than the cops delay him for 2 and than another delay, and than another.

It been about 3 weeks now and I'm a little be angry that stuff that in no way will help them in their current case is still being kept there. Why is our time being wasted on this bullshit. So what about you guys, what's your shitty time with the police.
Just hope they don't sell your stuff instead of return it.. police departments have a tendency to do that...

Police Can Seize And Sell Assets Even When The Owner Broke No Law
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/11/10/363102433/police-can-seize-and-sell-assets-even-when-the-owner-broke-no-law

https://www.propertyroom.com/about-us/company-info
https://www.propertyroom.com/c/computers
https://www.justice.gov/actioncenter/find-sales-seized-property
http://www.seizedpropertyauctions.com/

They make quite a bit of money off the seized property. SO I hope your attorney can get everything back for you before they sell it.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
DefunctTheory said:
Glongpre said:
I was once pulled over by a policeman for not having a bell on my bike...
Where in the hell do you live where bells are mandatory?
England!

But it only applies to new bikes being sold, it's quite funny because if you spend ?6000 on a super light weight off road beast they have to attach a stupid bell to it, you are perfectly within your rights to remove it and they now attach them (or used to, the rules were such a joke it may have been repealed) with a single screw turn so you can rip it off asap. Our local shop used to give you a fiver off if you removed your bell immediately after sale and threw it in their bell recycling bin (obviously to be attached to the next one).

It's a toss up whether this or invading Iraq was Tony Blair's most stupid move.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/safety-regulations

OT - never, UK police are cuddly. It's really embarrassing when folk try to transplant "Black Lives Matter", clear a very relevant US issue, to the UK. Talk about undermining a cause. They other day they were chanting at the police, "hands up, don't shoot". The police of course are completely unarmed...

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
ErrrorWayz said:
DefunctTheory said:
Glongpre said:
England!

But it only applies to new bikes being sold, it's quite funny because if you spend ?6000 on a super light weight off road beast they have to attach a stupid bell to it, you are perfectly within your rights to remove it and they now attach them (or used to, the rules were such a joke it may have been repealed) with a single screw turn so you can rip it off asap. Our local shop used to give you a fiver off if you removed your bell immediately after sale and threw it in their bell recycling bin (obviously to be attached to the next one).

Yeah, because god forbid you're zooming about on it (roads, landscape) and come across people who are facing away from, its windy/loud traffic so they can't hear your bikes gears/you're freewheeling and you and you need to let them know. I suppose you could shout, as long as your voice is loud enough/not carried away by the wind or you're wearing mouth covering gear...whereas most bike bells are set to a tonal level that can carry through the wind for that VERY PURPOSE!

I mean, who cares if you hit them because they move unexpectedly, right? On a bike made out of injury causing material, at a speed that can injure.

Sorry, but anyone with a bike who wants to ride it around? Bell, crash hat, lights/reflectors and if I had my way a goddamn licence plate like cars so you can be reported for breaking the rules like drivers. Too many bikers are dangerous/think the rules don't apply to them.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
This was roughly 8-10 years ago. I was driving with my cruise control set at the posted 55 mph speed limit. An officer pulled me over and commenced to ticket me for doing 71. I mentioned that I had my cruise set at 55 and he gave me the "Tell it to the judge" line. I wasn't in a position to press the issue further, as I was in possession of contraband. It was some straight-up bullshit. I get pissed off thinking about it to this day.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
KaraFang said:
ErrrorWayz said:
DefunctTheory said:
Glongpre said:
England!

Yeah, because god forbid you're zooming about on it (roads, landscape) and come across people who are facing away from, its windy/loud traffic so they can't hear your bikes gears/you're freewheeling and you and you need to let them know. I suppose you could shout, as long as your voice is loud enough/not carried away by the wind or you're wearing mouth covering gear...whereas most bike bells are set to a tonal level that can carry through the wind for that VERY PURPOSE!

I mean, who cares if you hit them because they move unexpectedly, right? On a bike made out of injury causing material, at a speed that can injure.

Sorry, but anyone with a bike who wants to ride it around? Bell, crash hat, lights/reflectors and if I had my way a goddamn licence plate like cars so you can be reported for breaking the rules like drivers. Too many bikers are dangerous/think the rules don't apply to them.
We're talking about bike bells due, not crash carts in hospitals ☺

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
ErrrorWayz said:
KaraFang said:
ErrrorWayz said:
DefunctTheory said:
Glongpre said:
England!

We're talking about bike bells due, not crash carts in hospitals ☺
Uh huh.

tell that to the old age pensioner that was in the local news recently who got hit by someone on a bike (and she confirmed she didn't hear him coming along the road and the bike had no bell) and she broke her damn arm and leg.

How can you DEFEND that? Metal/Carbon fibre is metal/carbon fibre hitting you at high speed. It can hurt or KILL you if it hits you at the right speed and place. (shakes head) Irresponsible.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Random capital letters and anecdotes now, we are getting serious. :) Seems very unlikely a person who is going so fast they crash into a pensioner would bother to ring a bell, if the were on the pavement that is illegal and nothing to do with bells, if the pensioner was in the road it's their fault. Fully agree cyclists routinely ignore the rules of the road and that's irresponsible but bells add nothing terms of safety.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
DefunctTheory said:
Glongpre said:
In Europe it's mandatory. Though it's been mandatory for plenty of countries well before EU regulations. For us Dutch it's been mandatory for 110 years already. (yes, 110, that was not a typo :p)

a cycle shall:
a) have an efficient brake,
b) be equipped with a bell capable of being heard at a sufficient distance, and carry no other audible warning device, and
c) be equipped with a red reflecting device at the rear, and devices ensuring that the bicycle can show a white or yellow light at the front and a red light at the rear

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
If a person cannot hear the bicycle or the verbal warning of the rider, then a small bell isn't going to be any more audible.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Im from Canada, and im black, but i never had any problems with the police. still hate them though, i avoid them like the plague. However i do have basic knowledge of my rights, which a lot of people don't so that helps.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Chaos Isaac said:
Zontar said:
Wait, it took a bribe of only $8 to not get cuffs on your hands for theft and public intoxication? I'm going to be honest, that sounds like getting off easy to me, especially with the drug war and all.
It wasn't a bribe, I had to go back inside the store and pay for the items shoplifted. We got to keep the snacks and everything. We were also out after curfew so, that was great. All I had to do was pay for snacks, and that's the worst i've been fucked over by police so hey.
So you were out after curfew, intoxicated and people in your group stole, and your collective punishment was having to go back and pay for the items you'd taken?

I don't think you understand the concept of being fucked over by the cops.