Tiny insignificant details in games that really impressed you

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In the second level of Rushing Beat Ran, there are land mines in the first half of the stage. The enemy AI is not dumb and they will actually avoid in a clever way. There is a unique animation where each mook will briefly pause, look down, and then jump over the land mine. Jaleco didn't have to do that, but they went ahead and did. Nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In each mission of Devil May Cry 3, one cutscene contains the number of that mission hidden in the background. For instance, a 1 on a pizza box, 2 on a banner, 3 formed by a pile of demon corpses.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In each mission of Devil May Cry 3, one cutscene contains the number of that mission hidden in the background. For instance, a 1 on a pizza box, 2 on a banner, 3 formed by a pile of demon corpses.
Lots of DMC fans know these Easter eggs.

Undercover Cops has a bunch of crazy details and neat little animations you can find in the background or from the characters themselves. The Mokuba named enemies wield baseball bats wrapped in barb wire. The sunglass wearing enemies can jump between planes and run/dash. The Fox enemies wear shits with no bra underneath and actual nipple slips (they're less stripperiffic in Super Famicom version). There's a bad ending, if you don't stop Dr. Crayborn from dropping the nuke. Rosa gets her own image song, if you beat the game solo or select her as player one and land the final hit on the boss. BTW, the same team that made this game, went on to make Metal Slug.

Time Stamped to the Image Song.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not sure if I could go so far as to say I was impressed, but kudos to whomever thunk up this little gem. Working my way through Miquella's Haligtree in Elden Ring, and I made it to the part with the two battle mages on a pair of precarious bridges. Fought my way there, and got my face hammered inside-out and tossed off the bridge, so in a run back to get back to my +150K runes, I decided to run past all the enemies in between, the majority of which were some mostly innocuous, shuffling TLOU zombie types that only pose the greatest danger should you decide to stay within grabbing distance, i.e.: easily ignored. Welp, all was going well; made it back to the mages, cleared the immediate area of a couple of mobs right before the bridges with the intent to draw one mage to me on solid ground inside the preceding building. While the melee ensued, the mage was getting the better of me, and when I decided to retreat, I found that the group tree zombies I'd ignored a couple of minutes previously had followed me, and were blocking the exit. I died, of course, but not without giving the "...clever girl" nod to the soul who thought up that little protracted pincer maneuver.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Not sure if I could go so far as to say I was impressed, but kudos to whomever thunk up this little gem. Working my way through Miquella's Haligtree in Elden Ring, and I made it to the part with the two battle mages on a pair of precarious bridges. Fought my way there, and got my face hammered inside-out and tossed off the bridge, so in a run back to get back to my +150K runes, I decided to run past all the enemies in between, the majority of which were some mostly innocuous, shuffling TLOU zombie types that only pose the greatest danger should you decide to stay within grabbing distance, i.e.: easily ignored. Welp, all was going well; made it back to the mages, cleared the immediate area of a couple of mobs right before the bridges with the intent to draw one mage to me on solid ground inside the preceding building. While the melee ensued, the mage was getting the better of me, and when I decided to retreat, I found that the group tree zombies I'd ignored a couple of minutes previously had followed me, and were blocking the exit. I died, of course, but not without giving the "...clever girl" nod to the soul who thought up that little protracted pincer maneuver.
The area is also ripe with lore implications once you’ve met the boss guarding entry to the following area, including just what the hell battle mages are doing there in the first place. The connections even extend to weaponry, as the stylings of the Carian Knight’s sword and Miquellan Knight’s sword are very similar, trading glintstone for Haligtree amber.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In the original Final Fight Arcade, there's so much details with the huge enemy sprites and playable characters, background details, and the CPS1 being able throw 8-12+ enemies on screen before sprite flickering can even being to occur. Guy, the fragile speedster of the group, has the ability to do an off- the-wall jump kick of off any vertical surface. It can be visible vertical walls, barrels, wooden crates, oil drums, and even invisible walls in most sections of the game. It doesn't do much damage, but it's a great gap closer and can stun enemies properly to do with multiple times or stun enemies into a punch kick combo.

Sadly, these details are loss in the GBA and SNES versions. Even with the hack/mods available, but the SNES versions so much worse from this. In FFi Guy/Final Fight One, Guy has much less options to use his unique attack not as making him fun to use like the arcade version. The GBA version mitigates this with the Industrial Area, as most vertical surfaces can be wall bounced.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I posted the bulk of this in the details that really bother you thread but there is another extra detail that I would like to post here.

In Gears 5, there are multiple versions of the series' iconic Lancer assault rifle (and I'm not talking about the Retro Lancer). There is the Lancer Mark 2, and the Lancer Mark 3. The Mark 2 is the weapon that was used during Gears 1 - 3, and the Mark 3 is the post-war variant debuting in Gears 5 (and presumably also used during the events of 4, though you never actually see any friendly soldiers).

Allied soldiers use the Mark 3 because it is new, and standard-issue. Swarm forces use the Mark 2, because they generally use Locust War-era tech that they have scavenged.

Both weapons function exactly the same as far as I can tell, and both weapons share an ammo pool. But the neat little detail is that if you are using the old Lancer Mark 2, and you come across a Mark 3, instead of scavenging ammo, your character will instead prompt to replace the Mark 2 with the Mark 3, presumably because it has many in-universe improvements over the older version.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In the original Gungrave, you can interact with Dr. T and Mika between each levels and intermission areas. The dialogue changes with Dr. T and Mika as you progress through the game. All the dialouge either reveals more about the characters, the world they live in, or the Millenion (the crime syndicate they're fighting). GG GORE has unlockable costume of Grave's 2002 costume, and his Overdose costume (that either came with the pre-order, or bought as DLC). Beating game on GORE difficulty nets you Young Brandon Heat as a seperate character, and he fight's like he did in the anime. Sucks you have to beat GORE difficulty in order to get the character.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Mario Golf for the Nintendo 64 will have the time of day change as a round progresses. Normally, when you reach the 13th hole of an 18-hole round, the sky will turn orange to indicate sunset, and the lighting on the course changes to match. If you somehow end up playing more than 18 holes, such as needing to break a tied match, then you'll return to the first hole, but it'll be night-time - making the changes even more obvious without having to load a course's 13th hole in training mode to see without the sunset filter.

Notably, the game's Gamecube sequel, Toadstool Tour, doesn't have this - some courses will change to sunset on the final hole of a course, but it's fixed on the final hole no matter what, with the rest all just being in the daytime, and the first course, Lakitu Valley, has no apparent time changes at all. [Edit: Some of the later courses have more dramatic time changes, such as Peach's Castle Grounds going to sunset at hole 15 and then nighttime at 17, but it's still IIRC fixed to each hole rather than dynamic like in 64.]

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I haven't verified this yet, but after noticing two instances of it in the game so far, I can only imagine this was the intent. In Elden Ring, FROM didn't only put Stakes of Merika near bosses, they put them near uniquely difficult parts of the game that might not necessarily be close to a convenient site of grace. Neat.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I haven't verified this yet, but after noticing two instances of it in the game so far, I can only imagine this was the intent. In Elden Ring, FROM didn't only put Stakes of Merika near bosses, they put them near uniquely difficult parts of the game that might not necessarily be close to a convenient site of grace. Neat.
IIRC it’s also often the same field areas where spirit ash icons show up, which makes sense.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
If you fight every enemy that appears in the first Paper Mario's prologue section without skipping or redoing any fights, you'll get just enough Star Points (EXP) to get your first level when you defeat the first boss.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Super Famicom Wars, a Japan-only predecessor to Advance Wars, has a different animation for capturing buildings than its GBA sequels. For neutral properties, a soldier simply raises a flag turn by turn, but when stealing a property from the other player, a defending soldier attempts to pull back on the rope, until eventually they fall off the building and have to run away when you capture it.

If you do this for a naval port, the defending soldier will start running away, only to suddenly run out of land and fall into the ocean. Though by the time you get to a map with a port, you'll probably have turned the animations off because they slow the game down too much...

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I've been playing stardew valley a lot and it's been really interesting to me how many fine details are included and how many aren't. It kind of makes sense given how old the game is and community informed continual development but it still catches me off guard.

On one hand I keep getting quests regarding fish overpopulation, but when I go to hunt down those fish their catch rate doesn't appear to be any different to reflect the claim that there are more.

On the other hand, when you fish during festival events the fish you catch are aligned with the actual catchable seasonal fish for a fresh waterbody. So if you don't want to use the wiki like me you can use the events to see what kind of new lake or river fish can be caught.

Also, if you drink mayo in front of people they definitely react instead of viewing it as any other eating.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
In Super Mario RPG, during the Booster's Hill run you can see Bowser's keep, Pipe House, and Mushroom Kingdom in the background:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Man, I played this game like 5 times all the way through and I never noticed this myself!

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Meowth, one of the original 151 Pokemon, is based on a Japanese idiom that translates to "to give a koban to a cat". A koban was a gold coin used in medieval Japan which was worth a whole lot of money, and so the idiom means giving something of great value to someone unable to understand its worth. In fact, the coin on Meowth's head is itself a koban, solidifying the link. In English, an equivalent idiom is "pearls before swine".

The third iteration of Pokemon, Ruby and Sapphire, added a Pokemon called Spoink, best described as a pig with a pearl on its head.