Titanfall On PC Will Require Origin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall On PC Will Require Origin

Vince Zampella confirms that if you want to play the PC version of Titanfall, you're going to have to do it with Origin.

Earlier today, Respawn Entertainment boss Vince Zampella tweeted the basic minimum system requirements [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132003-Titanfall-PC-Requirements-Outed-By-Vince-Zampella] for the PC version of Titanfall: A 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8, a middling CPU, 4GB of RAM and a GeForce 8800GT. Nothing too demanding in the list, but unfortunately he followed that up with confirmation of another requirement that some gamers will find a little more onerous.

"Yes it does," Zampella tweeted in response to a follower who asked if Titanfall will also require Origin and stated it would be a "lost sale" if so. "We'll miss you :("

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/430852132246257665]

Origin, to clarify, is Electronic Arts' digital distribution service, similar to Steam in purpose if not refinement. Many gamers don't care for Origin and some flat-out refuse to use it, and while EA has taken significant steps [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127004-EA-Offers-Full-Refunds-For-Unsatisfied-Origin-Customers] to improve its reputation, it largely remains a less-than-favored option. Even so, it's not surprising that EA would opt to keep Titanfall exclusive to the service; if it launches smoothly (a big "if," given EA's recent record) and proves to be a hit, it could go a long way toward elevating Origin's worth in the eyes of gamers.

Zampella also noted that gamers can install Origin to try the Titanfall beta at no cost.

Source: Twitter (Vince Zampella)

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I think I'll stick to Planetside 2, Loadout, TF2 or any of other great shooters the PC has that don't require Orgin.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Guess I won't be picking this one up then. Too bad, looked pretty awesome.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
I don't understand why some people would consider not getting a game just because it's on Origin, considering how easy it is to exit Origin after playing and forget it's on your computer. I dislike EA as much as the next guy, but can missing out on a potentially good game just because it's not on steam be justified by anything other petty fanboyism? What makes you guys lash out so strongly against Origin? I've used it for Battlefield for a few years now and haven't had issues. Feel like I must be missing something.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
ahaha I'm not buying it. That's fine though I wasn't very likely to but it anyways.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm slightly hopeful but ready for disappointment for Titanfall as a new IP, seeing how stale the FPS genre has gotten over the last few years I might consider installing Origin just to try the beta. Maybe. It has a god awful reputation but Steam has its fair share of problems too, that fuck up with DOTA 2 the other day was hilarious. Left 4 Dead 2 got spliced with DOTA 2 so people who didn't have L4D2 installed already apparently couldn't play DOTA. The forums were completely swamped in radge!

The beta is out already right?

EDIT:Well when the beta does come out I can always uninstall Origin if it gets so terrible.

Apr 28, 2008
I don't mind. At least on Origin I'll be able to return it for full price because for some reason EA/Origin has a better refund policy than Steam. Granted it's only for EA games, but Titanfall is an EA game, and it's still better than Steam.

Not as good as GoG though, but nobody is.

AdagioBoognish said:
I don't understand why some people would consider not getting a game just because it's on Origin, considering how easy it is to exit Origin after playing and forget it's on your computer. I dislike EA as much as the next guy, but can missing out on a potentially good game just because it's not on steam be justified by anything other petty fanboyism? What makes you guys lash out so strongly against Origin? I've used it for Battlefield for a few years now and haven't had issues. Feel like I must be missing something.
A part of it is the "Steam or no buy" mentality that a lot of people have. Which makes sense since Steam is one of the best options for digital distribution for consumers, but still it's kind of unnerving. It creates a market of "if you're not on Steam, you won't make enough money to keep making games". Sure there are exceptions, but they're just that. Exceptions.

Personally, I prefer no DRM/ties to a DD store. Which is why I mostly buy from GoG these days. Or, it's at least the first place I look.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
You know, I was actually considering trying this. Too bad Origin is a deal breaker. Sorry Respawn, would love to give you the support but you clearly don't want it.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Well, surely this was expected? It's an EA title. This is what they do now, no? Although come to think of it, how come Kingdoms of Amalur* is on Steam?

Anywho, not sure if I fully understand the "Steam or no deal" mentality, but people are free to have it, I guess. I suppose it's a roundabout way of punishing EA for destroying their goodwill. And if EA only listens to money, then this is how they're going to learn.

Still. Encouraging a monopoly is rarely a great idea.

Edit: *Of course, Kingdoms of Amalur was jointly published by 38 Studios and EA. That makes sense.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
And just like that, any interest I had in the game is gone. Not terribly into shooters, but I would have given it a shot for giggles. But I don't like EA, and I don't like Origin, so I guess I'll just have to do without.

Maybe I'll get over it with counseling.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
I guess I don't get it. What is so special about Titanfall that it could make Origin appealing?

It's yet another multiplayer FPS with free running as it's gimmick. The Mechs don't count, plenty other Mech games out there.

So.. could anyone explain why this FPS Arena shooter with freerunning is being hailed as the second coming?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, I figured it would be. I have a few games on Origin and when I'm done playing any game on it, I just exit Origin. I can't wait to see how this turns out, to be honest. I'm excited for this game, it looks fun and interesting.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
And just like that, the interest in the game I had is gone. Shame that, looked interesting for an FPS.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
AdagioBoognish said:
I know for most people it is a little bit of fanboy-ism mixed with some of their own personal reasoning. Some don't likethe access that EA had in the TOS that they changed but people still have trust issues due to it (Also See: Xbox One), some people (myself included) really hated that in order to run Battlefield 3 you had to have origin plus a flash based web interface open at all times the game is running, and other people have other reasons.

My main reason I don't try to support origin is that I don't want a Netflix. To elaborate, back when netflix started gaining traction with it's instant streaming services, they had a huge selection of really good titles because other companies licensed them out fairly cheap because nobody thought it would catch on. It did, and now netflix's selection is only mediocre, because all those companies decided "I WANT MORE MONEY FOR THIS," and took all their shows and put them on their own streaming services (Hulu Plus, HBO Go, Stars, causing you to go to various places to get everything you want. However, while I support and LOVE having options of where to buy with PC digital distribution (GoG, GMG, D2DGamefly, Steam, Amazon), Origin is NOT an option. Origin is a chokehold. The main reasons they took their games off of steam was that steam required them to also sell their dlc through Steam's store (which allows things like sales on the dlc as well as a cut for steam) and that EA wanting every single cent for their already big name games, so they forced rather than enticed consumers to their platform if they wanted to play their favorite games. They still charge $60 for the release of their digital games on pc even though there is no cut for the storefront, manufacturing, or shipping. It was just plain greed, no consumer benefits.

Honestly, if I couldn't buy digital codes for origin through Amazon, I would still not own any new EA titles since the split.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Um...wait. How did so many of you NOT know this already?!

Seriously, it's been made apparent for over six bloody months that Titanfall was an Origin exclusive.

I'm so confused right now...

Draconalis said:
This is news, how?

I thought everyone was already aware of this.
Oh thank goodness. I was starting to think I was the only one.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
to those wondering why Origin is a deal breaker for so many

Consider EA, consider its history.

an unbroken chain of one anti-consumer move to another. One of buying great devs and ruining them with crappy expectations and brain dead directives. They killed the original Origin, they killed Westwood, and Popcap and Bioware wont be too far behind, it has already started.

then consider all the tone deaf, ill conceived statements by their CEO's over the years

and now EA wants me to put my digital library in THEIR hands? HAHA... no

you can claim that EA has a nice return policy or some other nonsense. but you know why that is? because they are LOSING. They have no choice. the INSTANT EA feels like they are getting a solid foothold with origin it will be back to the same old EA. They cant help it, its in their corporate DNA.

My digital library is an investment, over the last 6 years I have put hundreds into my steam library. Putting that money in the hands of EA because of some desperate return policy would be like giving your life savings to Bernie Madoff. Things may seem fine for a while, but eventually it WILL blow up in your face

EA is always searching for the next sucker. The day I care about origin is the day EA completely severs ties with the service.

Its not that I am against steam getting competition. I am against EA being that competition

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
A flagship EA game that they've been promoting the shit out of requires Origin?

Now the question whether South Park: The Stick of Truth requires Uplay is one that really is up in the air.

Between the acquisition of the title from the dying THQ by Ubi to Matt and Trey's subsequent battle with them in the courts its still anyone's guess. The lack of any mention of Uplay on the Steam store page is raising hopes, but we won't know for sure until release or some announcement.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Origin is okay now-a-days. I still find steam more useable, but since EA changed their EULA to not steal every file from my hard drive if they wanted I haven't had that many issues with it.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
Actually, I was not aware of it being a EA game, till now. I was not "omg got have now!" for this game so I haven't really been paying attention to who was the publisher. I was going to wait for a few 'Let's plays' before I made up my mind to try it or not ...

Now, on the other hand, now I will never buy it. Not after buying DA2, Sims3 and SWTOR, not after what they did to Sims City ... never again. Sorry the trailers look good and all but EA ain't getting a penny from me.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Meh, I figured it would require Origin. At least Origin is becoming better then Steam, if people are upset about Origin EULA not being exact with its wording about scanning your hard drive for files I don't get it for Steam's EULA is basically the same.

Besides Valve has shown recently they care more about money then EA does because of how they are handling Greenlight and allowing Early Access, while not even trying to protect their customers.