Titanfall Team Decides Against Single-Player Campaign

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Well, we go on all the time about half-assed multiplayer in singleplayers games, I think it's good that they stick to their strengths. If they don't even think it's worthwhile making, somehow I doubt it would have been that inspired anyway.
I sort of came into this thread to say this. I played the shit out of TF2 when it was relatively new, and it was multiplayer only. If the game has awesome multiplayer, then it should stand on that alone. A half-assed, supergray, 5 hour single player campaign would have bloated production costs anyway, and added very little if the development team didn't even want to make it.

That said, should one pay the standard $60 for a multiplayer only experience where much of the content is created by other people?
I suppose one might say the same for games that are heavily modded, so meh.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Nice to see some two-faced hypocrisy here. Game goes singleplayer only, people cheer for them and celebrate for sticking to what the game is about. Game goes multiplayer only, people tell them to fuck off.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
So they are making something in the vein of the old multiplayer FPS Titles. As long as they are charging around 40-50 usd for it and not a full 60 it's a go.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
AyaReiko said:
piinyouri said:
That hurts my heart.

"Single player isn't popular enough to justify the costs"

Ow.
I guess Bioshock Infinite was just small time then.

Wasn't really interested in the first place, but this just cements this game as a "no buy" from me.
Statistics can be made to say what you want them to - lost count of the the times people have said 'X doesn't sell' when you could practically bury them under examples of X doing gangbusters.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
well I'm not that fussed about the lack of a single player campaign, wasn't really expecting one from this anyway, it did seem more like a multiplayer focused game.

Still got some concerns:

Firstly the price: hopefully they won't charge full price for it

Secondly: Hopefully for the PC version they'll allow gaming communities to host dedicated servers and not rent it like Battlefield 3 did.

Other than that, well lets see what you give us then Respawn.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Well I guess I'm not playing it then. I don't have the internet for online multipayer. Shame, it really looks interesting.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Alfador_VII said:
This is the right choice for a game which is obviously being pitched at the same market as Call of Duty and the like. How many players played the single-player campaign? Did ANYONE buy COD (or Battlefield etc.) ONLY for the single player? ANe even those who play single player, will only do so once, then never again.
Nice of you to assume you know what other peoples gaming habits are.As a matter of fact I've played every CoD campaign multiple times(except Black Ops 2 just haven't gotten around to it again yet)and I doubt I'm the only person who does that

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Games played this year (not a comprehensive list):
Bioshock Infinite
Kerbal Space Program
Devil May Cry
Tomb Raider(single player only)
Saints Row the Third
Skyrim for the umpteenth time
Dragon Age Origins again
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma
The Last of Us(single player only)
System Shock 2(single player only) again

Games planned for 2014 playthrough:
Titanfall

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Nothing wrong with the decision, they're making it multiplayer-focused so they're saving time and resources on the sp campaign. Just like Crystal Dynamics should have done with Tomb Raider (only vice versa).

What I take issue with is their rationalisation. Come on guys, it's your decision whether to include SP or not. But don't try and pretend SP is not popular enough. That's just not true.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
neppakyo said:
Welp, that scratches that game off my list for the PC.

Fucking tired of multiplayer games, and half assed single player. GIVE ME MORE DEEP IN-DEPTH SINGLE PLAYER GAMES DAMMIT!
Settle down. Didn't you read? It won't have a half assed single player because it won't have a single player at all. If you don't like multiplayer, then don't buy it.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Aww, but I like single-player. I guess it probably wouldn't have been all that great anyway, but I've always liked having the option of not getting my ass kicked by real people online.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Hmmm... I understand the reasoning, but I personally prefer to have some context for why I'm doing what I'm doing in shooters. This game doesn't interest me nearly as much without a story mode.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
Considering how shit most FPS single player campaigns are, we probably didn't lost much here.
Killzone 2 campaign was one of the better SP experiences I had this gen. And I kept playing MP because SP made me a fan, made me care about avenging Visari, about slaughtering Vektan scum...
Anyhow, it doesn't work for me. For me MP should be complimentary to SP. They both should enhance each other.

Also, SP IS popular. What is not popular is boring, shit, uninspired SP (Homefront, Battlefield, some instances of Call of Duty, you can add your pick here).

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella said:
"We make these single-player missions that take up all the focus of the studio, that take a huge team six months to make, and players run through it in eight minutes,"

"And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, everyone players through the first level, but five percent of people finish the game."
Holy crap, dude. Did you at least lube yourself up before you pulled those numbers straight out of your ass?

Not every game needs a dedicated singleplayer campaign, but honestly I play more singleplayer in dedicated multiplayer games (Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield) than I play multiplayer in dedicated singleplayer games (Tomb Raider, FarCry), so consider me disappointed we won't see a new scifi premise explored in any great detail.

Anatoli Ossai

Sep 5, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
I mean, just look at BioShock 2. It's multiplayer is the spitting image (if not more interesting and more important from a narrative standpoint) of CoD's, and nobody gave a crap about it because BS2 was an awesome game. Same goes for Tomb Raider, and while The Last Of Us' multiplayer is nifty, that sure as hell isn't the reason people are buying that game.
Are you kidding. Do you know how big and how much money they spent developing Tomb Raider and Bioshock? Those studios are massive! And so is the COD studio. Did you even read the article? Their studio is moderate in comparison. With you rather they spent resources on shitty multiplayer AND single player or just well polished half? Geez.

Anatoli Ossai

Sep 5, 2012
IBlackKiteI said:
However they should at least add bots or something. A game should never be exclusively multiplayer unless it really needs to be, MMO's probably being the only case.
Tell that to Dust 514, MAG and Ravaged

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
Considering how shit most FPS single player campaigns are, we probably didn't lost much here.
Indeed. I have trouble being upset that an FPS multiplayer game didn't tack on a 4 hour campaign that most people would hate and mock anyway.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
kael013 said:
An asspull for statistics to prove their reasoning with no sources...
As the developers of several blockbuster games, they collect all sorts of stats telling them how their games are being played. So when they say a small percentage of people play single-player, that isn't something they pulled out of thin air; that's something they've seen in their post-release tracking data.