To anyone who thinks piracy is ok

ShinningDesertEagle

Oct 14, 2009
YukoValis said:
If they started pricing right I wouldn't consider piracy (not that I pirate). 60$ for medal of honor? 50$ for front mission evo? 40$ for dead rising 2? These games I bought and are not worth the price, and I've gotten ripped off way to many times. Oh and for anyone who says "you can wait for the prices to drop" take a look at CoD MW 2. Still 60$ after about 2 years, and it's only half as good as CoD 4. Price them reasonably and maybe they wouldn't have to suffer pirates. The only time I say pirating is really wrong is for companies just starting.
Considering pirating only raises the price of the game this argument makes you look stupid. And considering here you are measuring the price of the game solely by entertainment value instead of how much money the company had to spend on time and effort from the developers not to mention resources- well it makes you look even more stupid.
YukoValis said:
To clarify I never said I pirated, never said I will, this is my opinion and understanding about people who do pirate.
But you never said you don't pirate either, pirate.

And to clarify, I never said you were full of it, never said I will, this is my opinion and understanding people who do think you are full of it.

DeathsHands

Mar 22, 2010
Two things. One, if pirates cared about the fact that their actions were morally dubious, they wouldn't be a pirate, would they? Second, cut the market discussion crap. Pirates don't care. Everyone and their mother have heard this a dozen times.

newuseforvintage

In Andre the Giant's posse
Sep 6, 2009
matthew_lane said:
Also how about bringing out a Demo or two... Because theres nothing worse then spending $100 on a brand new game, only to find out it clashes with Windows 7, or your graphics card, or some other glitch so wont install or fails to run.

You know, I didn't even notice this. When did Demos die out? Unless I'm just not plugged in to the loop enough now-a-days it doesn't seem like there are any... I would have loved to have seen a free demo of MoH, or the new CoD, before I was told "this is going to be the best game this year".

OT: Interesting article, and I agree that pirating is poor for the industry. I would love to see some sort of figures for age - piracy ratio. I wonder if the greater amount of "pirates" are younger people with less disposable income?

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Garak73 said:
Considering pirating only raises the price of the game this argument makes you look stupid. And considering here you are measuring the price of the game solely by entertainment value instead of how much money the company had to spend on time and effort from the developers not to mention resources- well it makes you look even more stupid.
Neither piracy or the cost of producing a game determine it's price. It's what the market will bear. If the market isn't willing to pay $60, the price will drop regardless of piracy, cost of production, price of gas, price of pizza, etc...
People can use steam, so the price of production is really cheap considering it is just server maintenance (hell blizzard doesn't pay a cent for their way of sending out patches) so your logic is flawed and if all piraters used steam then companies could make games cheap no problem.

seleucus

Mar 10, 2010
"if i could download a car i would"

^this makes a lot more sense if youre australian

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Garak73 said:
Littlee300 said:
Garak73 said:
Neither piracy or the cost of producing a game determine it's price. It's what the market will bear. If the market isn't willing to pay $60, the price will drop regardless of piracy, cost of production, price of gas, price of pizza, etc...
People can use steam, so the price of production is really cheap considering it is just server maintenance (hell blizzard doesn't pay a cent for their way of sending out patches) so your logic is flawed and if all piraters used steam then companies could make games cheap no problem.
How exactly is my logic flawed because people can use Steam? Steam just backs up my point.

A game will have the same price on Steam that it has in the stores (unless it is on sale). Considering that the Steam version doesn't have a disc, manual, case, etc... it should be cheaper if the price were based on cost of production. Price isn't based on the cost of production, it is based on what the market will bear (ie, what people are willing to pay).
Didn't Hitman 5 get canceled for money problems that wouldn't of happened if no one pirated? There was a escapist news on that earlier anyhow but my memory is fuzzy.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Garak73 said:
Littlee300 said:
Garak73 said:
How exactly is my logic flawed because people can use Steam? Steam just backs up my point.

A game will have the same price on Steam that it has in the stores (unless it is on sale). Considering that the Steam version doesn't have a disc, manual, case, etc... it should be cheaper if the price were based on cost of production. Price isn't based on the cost of production, it is based on what the market will bear (ie, what people are willing to pay).
Just don't buy it if it is too expensive. What is that? You want it too much to not get it? Well that is good for the devs, and obviously show that it is worth paying for. Oh wait you are gonna get it but pirate I hear? Well you sir are a dick :p

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Garak73 said:
Littlee300 said:
Garak73 said:
Littlee300 said:
Garak73 said:

Didn't Hitman 5 get canceled for money problems that wouldn't of happened if no one pirated? There was a escapist news on that earlier anyhow but my memory is fuzzy.
I have no idea what you are talking about here so I can't comment.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/search/?q=hitman+5+canceled%3F&cx=005672590579257297818:mkmrjhvsnwa&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search Search bar is a strong tool young one.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I pirate games because I can't rent them. There are no rental options for PC gamers. Give me some kind of rental system on Steam where I pay a low price for a certain number of days of having a game on my account (which would be fucking awesome btw) and I'll stop pirating games completely. As it stands at this point I pirate first, then buy if I think the game is worth it (evidence on my Steam account, where I have more than 140 games purchased since 2004) however a lot games are not very good, and I'm not going to throw away between $60-$100 (yes, this is Australia, and most games are priced like that even on Steam) on a game that isn't very good or barely passes for average. That's just an insane ripoff.

Here's an interesting little tid-bit: before I started pirating, I bought less games than I buy now. Because I was unwilling to take risks and buy the games I wasn't sure about. But these days since I pirate games first I sometimes come across games I am surprised that I enjoy, and then I buy them. My purchasing of games has increased probably around 50% since I began pirating because I can try many more games before I decide if I want them, rather than exclusively buying "safe" games that I am fairly sure I will like (which was mainly sequels and games by companies I had faith in)

I know most pirates don't have this attitude to piracy, and for most its just a "I can get it for free so fuck paying for anything" but it's really none of my concern what they do. I do my own thing and my morals are just fine.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Blame games like Fallout: NV. People steal shit, developers sell broken games. But yes, usually piracy is inexcusable.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
All pirate copies are lost sales. Fact!
The legally bought copy is always superior to the pirated version. Fact!
All games ever produced are still available through legal channels. Fact!
The industry is in bad weather, solely because of the pirates. They are not to blame, in any way. Fact!

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Spinozaad said:
The industry is in bad weather, solely because of the pirates. They are not to blame, in any way. Fact!
Maybe it is because some of them make shitty games? Oh wait you are being sarcastic right? Sorry :p

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's a little amazing to me that file-sharing services get away with some of the things they do. There isn't much to be done about peer-to-peer services in many cases, but with the file-sharing services, you want to say, "Oh, so you thought so-and-so was putting out three gigabytes of BABY PICTURES for anyone to download? You thought the five gig video file that happened to have the exact same name as a movie that was released this week was just a long webcam review? Seriously?" How do these people avoid liability when they're so obviously aiding and abetting piracy?

There's just aren't a lot of good excuses for piracy any more in an age when digital downloads and online shopping are as quick and convenient as they are. The only argument that still holds any water is the DRM one, and that's frustrating as all hell, but I get it. I get why publishers desperately try to keep their work off the 'net for long enough to make a few extra sales, and I get why people get frustrated that their legitimate games put hurdles in their path that the pirated versions don't. I wish I saw an easy solution, but as the article says (and as personal experience testifies) pirates don't seem to "respect" a developer for not putting in DRM, most of the time; they just put the game out for free that much faster.