Tomorrow I'm gonna do something stupid and pointless with little chance of success.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Congratulations on your failure-that-felt-like-a-success. I have to admit it was quite an amusing read.

Now do it to a male professor.

HyperDavidovich

Sep 2, 2011
You go man! Good for you! I'm glad you went for it. You swung and missed, but at least you took that swing. I can actually totally relate to how you feel because I once asked out a nurse at the hospital I work at, and turns out she was already married (yeah yeah, I shoulda noticed the ring). But afterward I felt... good, relieved, and strangely satisfied and didn't have any regrets.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
We're all proud, bro. So nice to read a post where someone doesn't just whine about things, but goes out and does them.

Man, I feel inspired now.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
That was a nice read. =)

HAH! This is only the second time I laughed at this anti-spam thing...

SOLVEmedia: "done that"

Never has this thing been so perfectly-timed.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Strain42 said:
Starik20X6 said:

Congratulations good sir. May we all learn from your example of courage.
...is it weird that I consider getting someone to use this gif directed at me feels like one of my greatest accomplishments...
Not even. You gotta earn that .gif, man!

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
What a fun, but crazy week this has been for me. I did all this on top of final's week, but the support I got from this board has honestly inflated my ego quite a bit, so thanks everyone.

I'm really happy to hear how many people have told me this story inspired them or cheered them up. I wish everyone good luck in their own endeavors, and if this tale gave you the courage to do something like this for yourself, I'm proud of ya.

For now though, I'm gonna take a tip from my captcha and lemme just say

"let's eat."

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
I salute you for doing this, mate. Despite the results, you did quite a brave thing there. Absolutely brilliant, mind you!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Nicely done. A toast, to thee! A man, brave enough to follow an orifice other than his penis, who took a chance, and now knows the outcome of his bravery. Cheers to you, friend.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Hell man, that could have went a whole lot worse. Sucks that she's got someone, but hey, that just means you really are a sexy bastard, since it was almost a yes.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
Ahhh, nothing like achieving want you wanted to achieve without having to deal with the actual hard part. Its a win win situation because, you can brag that you did it, but don't have to have the skills to win her affection on dates. Boo-ya.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Strain42 said:
-Snip-[/spoiler]
An epic tale, good sir! A leap of faith not entirely in vain is one you should always be glad you took. I hope that she keeps in contact if things don't work out with her current boyfriend and as I don't much enjoy beer I'll take a glass of Tawny Port and dedicate a toast to you!

May you have the courage to pursue similarly uncertain endeavours and the strength to accept their results!

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Bravo, good sir. For doing something most people have no courage to attempt, and for setting an example. A toast! For our man Strain42!

jamart

Feb 16, 2011
Dude.

Congratulations, you've got guts. Not many people would do what you did, especially not to a professor of theirs.

Well done. I offer you a humble fistbump

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Strain42 said:
Wish me luck!

...For those of you who want some more details here about what you're wishing me luck for. I'm about to ask out a professor at my school.

My final semester as a student here is about to end, and I can't let myself leave the school forever without taking this shot.

Chances are she'll say No (and I'm not saying this as any sort of confidence issue just...I mean in the given scenario, it makes sense lol)

But I'm gonna go for it. Carpe Diem and all the jazz!

EDIT: Here's what happened, the story in its entirety

Alright everyone, the results are in, and I am ready to tell my tale. I once again want to thank everyone for being so invested in this tale, and I'm try my best to spin a satisfactory yarn here.

"Well, first I got up and I had a piece of toast, then I brushed my teeth, then I went to the store to buy some fish..." (sorry, couldn't resist)

Alright, well I woke up, took a shower, brushed my teeth, all the usual stuff, trimmed my beard to make it nice and pretty. Got dressed up, clean bowling shirt and what-not.

Her office hours are 10-11:30, so I left around 9:40 'cause it takes about half an hour to get there and I didn't wanna be lurking around her door when she showed up.

Are you all familiar with the old saying "If you wanna make God laugh, tell him your plans." well apparently that applies to God, Buddha, Zeus, Fate, Karma, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, The all-powerful Atheismo, or whatever else you do or not believe in.

I made sure to set up everything that could mess this up on my end, but since something does have to go wrong...she wasn't there. I couldn't ask her if she wasn't in her office.

Now hold on, my story does not end here. I swung by the office of one of the Professor's for a class I was taking, we chatted a bit. The problem here was...I was parked in a 30 Minute Visitor Parking space (because parking is near impossible at this time of day...) and so the clock was ticking. She still wasn't in her office.

Eventually...I had to give up (don't worry, there's more. Stick around) I walked back to my car. Feeling defeated. I was unable to do what I set out to do, and I felt like a failure. I got back in my car and started to leave.

But I only moved a few feet before I saw...what's that? An empty parking space, and no one around to snag it? Feeling a second wind of determination, I grabbed that space, headed back to the building her office is in and sure enough...there she was.

I took a deep breath and stepped inside. We'd chatted a few times before, so she had some recollection of who I was lol

I stood up straight, gave her a warm smile, kept eye contact and I gave the improvised speech that I'd rehearsed in my head a hundred times (I say improvised because no matter how often you practice, once you're in the moment, you don't rely on memory, you go with guts)

Now I know some of you are wondering what exactly I said, but if it's alright with you, I'd rather leave that part out. Not because I'm embarrassed with what I said, but because I'd feel better if the next hundred messages weren't advice on what I should (or shouldn't) have said.

Much to my own surprise, she seemed taken aback, but also quite flattered by this proposal. She had a huge smile on her face that she couldn't seem to get rid of...

HOWEVER

She did respond, and she informed me that she was actually already seeing somebody, and that he probably wouldn't appreciate it if I took her out (and who could blame him? I'll ask out almost any woman I like, but I have a rule about women in relationships)

So at the end of this story, she did ultimately say No. However, not because I was too young or because I was a student (well it mighta been, but she didn't say so if it was lol) I know some of you wanted to laugh at me when she said No, so go ahead and get it out of the way. Really, I don't mind :)

Because ultimately, I stood up and did something that I wanted to do. I didn't let fear stop me from going for it. And if I can have a little bit of an ego right now, I wouldn't be surprised if I just made her day lol

On my way back to my car, I stopped at the vending machine and bought myself a Razzleberry Peace Tea (if you don't drink Peace Tea, you totally should. It's delicious) and I have to tell ya, it's never tasted sweeter.

Then on my way home I got a haircut and got some drive-thru Abry's but...I guess those parts aren't really as important.

First thing I did when I got home though was read through the comments here and I wanted to let you all know how it went.

"And then you threw an octopus at my window..."

Tonight, imaginary internet beer is on me! Drink as much as you like, my friends! For tonight, we party.

My capcha is "grain of salt" which some of you might be taking this story with lol but I've presented you the full facts of what happened. It's not the best story ever told on the internet, but I'm happy with it. I got some closure, and it's nice to have people to share it with.

Thanks for listening, everybody.
It was very brave of you to put your personal life on display for us.

I was entertained by your story, and pleased that you took a shot. I was expecting for some other twist (like your car getting towed or something), but you can't have everything. Thank you for your time.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
General Grind said:
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail ? should we fall ? we will know that we have lived."
― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness
Holy crap, you quoted Malazan Book of the Fallen. I have found someone else who can quote that.

*dies happy*

OT: Well done good sir well done!! *toasts my beer to you*

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
Strain42 said:
Wish me luck!

...For those of you who want some more details here about what you're wishing me luck for. I'm about to ask out a professor at my school.

My final semester as a student here is about to end, and I can't let myself leave the school forever without taking this shot.

Chances are she'll say No (and I'm not saying this as any sort of confidence issue just...I mean in the given scenario, it makes sense lol)

But I'm gonna go for it. Carpe Diem and all the jazz!

EDIT: Here's what happened, the story in its entirety

Alright everyone, the results are in, and I am ready to tell my tale. I once again want to thank everyone for being so invested in this tale, and I'm try my best to spin a satisfactory yarn here.

"Well, first I got up and I had a piece of toast, then I brushed my teeth, then I went to the store to buy some fish..." (sorry, couldn't resist)

Alright, well I woke up, took a shower, brushed my teeth, all the usual stuff, trimmed my beard to make it nice and pretty. Got dressed up, clean bowling shirt and what-not.

Her office hours are 10-11:30, so I left around 9:40 'cause it takes about half an hour to get there and I didn't wanna be lurking around her door when she showed up.

Are you all familiar with the old saying "If you wanna make God laugh, tell him your plans." well apparently that applies to God, Buddha, Zeus, Fate, Karma, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, The all-powerful Atheismo, or whatever else you do or not believe in.

I made sure to set up everything that could mess this up on my end, but since something does have to go wrong...she wasn't there. I couldn't ask her if she wasn't in her office.

Now hold on, my story does not end here. I swung by the office of one of the Professor's for a class I was taking, we chatted a bit. The problem here was...I was parked in a 30 Minute Visitor Parking space (because parking is near impossible at this time of day...) and so the clock was ticking. She still wasn't in her office.

Eventually...I had to give up (don't worry, there's more. Stick around) I walked back to my car. Feeling defeated. I was unable to do what I set out to do, and I felt like a failure. I got back in my car and started to leave.

But I only moved a few feet before I saw...what's that? An empty parking space, and no one around to snag it? Feeling a second wind of determination, I grabbed that space, headed back to the building her office is in and sure enough...there she was.

I took a deep breath and stepped inside. We'd chatted a few times before, so she had some recollection of who I was lol

I stood up straight, gave her a warm smile, kept eye contact and I gave the improvised speech that I'd rehearsed in my head a hundred times (I say improvised because no matter how often you practice, once you're in the moment, you don't rely on memory, you go with guts)

Now I know some of you are wondering what exactly I said, but if it's alright with you, I'd rather leave that part out. Not because I'm embarrassed with what I said, but because I'd feel better if the next hundred messages weren't advice on what I should (or shouldn't) have said.

Much to my own surprise, she seemed taken aback, but also quite flattered by this proposal. She had a huge smile on her face that she couldn't seem to get rid of...

HOWEVER

She did respond, and she informed me that she was actually already seeing somebody, and that he probably wouldn't appreciate it if I took her out (and who could blame him? I'll ask out almost any woman I like, but I have a rule about women in relationships)

So at the end of this story, she did ultimately say No. However, not because I was too young or because I was a student (well it mighta been, but she didn't say so if it was lol) I know some of you wanted to laugh at me when she said No, so go ahead and get it out of the way. Really, I don't mind :)

Because ultimately, I stood up and did something that I wanted to do. I didn't let fear stop me from going for it. And if I can have a little bit of an ego right now, I wouldn't be surprised if I just made her day lol

On my way back to my car, I stopped at the vending machine and bought myself a Razzleberry Peace Tea (if you don't drink Peace Tea, you totally should. It's delicious) and I have to tell ya, it's never tasted sweeter.

Then on my way home I got a haircut and got some drive-thru Abry's but...I guess those parts aren't really as important.

First thing I did when I got home though was read through the comments here and I wanted to let you all know how it went.

"And then you threw an octopus at my window..."

Tonight, imaginary internet beer is on me! Drink as much as you like, my friends! For tonight, we party.

My capcha is "grain of salt" which some of you might be taking this story with lol but I've presented you the full facts of what happened. It's not the best story ever told on the internet, but I'm happy with it. I got some closure, and it's nice to have people to share it with.

Thanks for listening, everybody.
That was a great read. It was nice change to the usual doom and gloom. I raise my beer to you my friend and wish you well.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Courage at it's very greatest, fucking awesome on your part man. Even though she said no you get some closure, some way to get the emotions out. Imaginary high five in 3...2...1...