Too Human Dev Predicts Social Gaming Crash

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Personally, id rather be introduced as "The Eternal Darkness Dev". Think how much more credible his statements would seem.

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
Well, you raise valid points, but then, you did create too human. So.... yeah, STFU.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The big problem with "social" gaming is that it's not social at all. It's anti-social if anything.

Farmville is just like WoW. The crash is coming soon, and WoW is already seeing it happen.

Also see: Guitar Hero.

Look out for: the 3DS.
Ha! I'm reading this on my phone, so I only see the post and not the author. when I read this one I thought to. myself: "This sounds a LOT like root.". Turned out I was right. :D

I also happen to agree with you. As usual, it seems.

WIUtomato

Oct 18, 2008
Hey, I would love to see nothing better... but... seriously... Silicon Knights is predicting a failure... perhaps they should turn that critical lens on their own doo-doo... just saying...

Feb 13, 2008
uguito-93 said:
not too sure why you included the 3DS among farmville, wow and guitar hero. care to elaborate?
Ok. Basic idea is a old game done in a new way.
Farmville is M.U.L.E with interaction.=, WoW is Roleplayers for non-nerds, Guitar Hero is Rhthym Games where you hold a plastic guitar. 3DS isn't even that,

I still have one of these somewhere.

Gimmicks don't make a platform. Even the Wii knows that.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
He's HOPING that it;ll change.
The truth is that microsoft is entering the market very soon now that she bought Skype and ready to implement it. Microsoft will make her games a social experience, and for that I hate her.
It won't change since all will bow down to the skinner box tricks these games offer, and nothing more.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Social Games will die, but only the ones at the moment. Truth is, people get bored of the same old thing, so when a new genre is shown in a social aspect (like, ALL YOUR FRIENDS ARE BELONG TO US) they'll most likely give it a shot and be hooked. Social gaming as it is, is just too broad to simply die out altogether unless people stop making them. That's just common sense.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm looking at it like this. He could be right. He could be wrong. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. If by crash he means that there will be a large drop in the number of social games being made and played, I think he's right. There are only so many people able to play these games for so long. Eventually they'll lose interest and/or move on to other games. However, I don't think they'll vanish overnight or anything.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The reason there will be a crash in social marketing is, that the dude is right, at the moment it's a marketing exercise and as a result people are being flooded with a lot of copycats and rubbish which as the Wii and ET proved, have bad results on the market. People will be turned off until people begin putting out games which are fun too. Farmville is less social and more about finding ways to exploit friends networks with spam

The problem is social is a powerful factor, but a very specific one, it has a critical mass and requires a certain share. It's like WoW or Windows, a big thing is how many people are playing already, and if something becomes dominant it's easy stagnate

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
i wish people would stop taking the opportunity to shit on too human, because he just happens to be the founder, he didnt say it was a good idea to make that the stupid death scene (which is the only bad thing i found about the game).

exampleAccount said:
I don't understand social gaming either, at least not when you have access to other games. Most of them just aren't fun.
grindfest indeed. its like playing an RPG with no end.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I have to point out that this guy also predicted that Too Human would not suck hairy sasquatch balls, which it did.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
uguito-93 said:
not too sure why you included the 3DS among farmville, wow and guitar hero. care to elaborate?

Gimmicks don't make a platform. Even the Wii knows that.
Exactly, what makes a platform good is the software that supports it, which is why i believe its still too early to pass that kind of judgement on the 3DS seeing as how all we have to go by is its mediocre launch lineup. as long as we start getting some descent games the 3D function wont be the only thing keeping it afloat (which it would not be able to do, no matter how much people say that 3D is the next "big thing").

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
iLikeHippos said:
Wait, how the fuck can an adult be more naive than myself? That's just embarassing, and that is coming from a
thinks-he-is-aware-of-shit-but-really-isn't teenager.

NO, social games won't crash. Such a theory do not apply to practical realistic terms. It's just fantasy.
However, something COULD take its place.
Right because who ever heard of a bubble in economics? Do I need to go on to each time a bubble formed, and popped? Do I need to recite the video game crash, the .com crash?

If everyone is rushing to one side of the economy, it creates a bubble, then bursts creating havoc. Anyone can tell you that.
I'm taking entrepreneur classes; studying to become a business man, and that term have never stumbled upon my learnings. Like, never.

Until now. Googled it, and I found it just may be irrelevant to games; a product that is built specifically to keep you interest in one or more aspects.
Kind of like, dare I say it... Drugs? o_O

It will take something amazingly significant to change millions of peoples mind to quit social games. Boredom might be their only shot. (Easily applicable but also very easily remedied)

It might happen, mind... Once you find three leprechauns and put them in a stew, boil them, eat them for dinner at your lucky time with dozens of four-leaf clovers as salad.
Or, alternatively, you could just grill them. Any of your choosing.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
What's interesting about Dyack's comments, however, is that he doesn't seem to be able to understand why some might find social games appealing. He said that social games looked more like marketing than "real gaming" and that he didn't think that they were a good use of his time. Dyack sounds incredulous about the success of social gaming, and his predictions of doom seem to be based on this gut feeling, rather than any hard data.
Precisely. In all fairness, it's not his area of expertise, is it? If he doesn't want to go into "social" games then fair enough, but it's asking a little too much for him to suddenly become the doom prophet of the genre.

beaverdog

May 3, 2010
social gaming is NOT going to crash! Because 95% of single player games can be finished in a F..king weekend. this clown is deluding himself of the opposite reality. These big twit clowns such as EA and the weak money hungry minions they possess stop publishing their drivel on the market the better.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I'm sorry, Mr. Dyack, but your personal dislike of a particular genre and your lack of insight regarding its popularity does not necessarily constitute an inevitable failure of that genre. As far as I can determine, two fundamental facts sustain social games: 1) human beings are social creatures by nature(we like finding and having groups with which we are comfortable communing), and 2) people like getting something for free(of course, the games are not truly free, as they are paid by advertising, which the consumer does pay for indirectly through the price of the products being advertised; however, it's close enough to free as most people don't notice or pay attention to the fact). One could also argue that social games are plenty fun for those that play them without requiring the near zealously religious devotion and dedication(sacrifice) of one's mind, body, and soul to the game as many "hardcore" games may require. MMORPGs are especially guilty of this problem.

If you want to talk unsustainable, look at the AAA-title business model of games. Now THAT is unsustainable at its present rate of churn. Soaring costs to produce a game that suffers a complete lack of quality, causing significant disappointment to the gamer for the $60+ that he spent to purchase the game; this results in the success of the game being a complete gamble with a high probability of diminishing returns for the cost and effort. Increasingly, it seems, companies are often betting their entire livelihood on such games rather than diversifying more to balance the costs against the revenue. In other words, producing a AAA-title is very much like playing the lottery for these companies.

The biggest problem of AAA-titles is that they are just too ambitious, and developers are just trying too hard with them in having to live up to producing such a high-value product every single time. This is something that can be done once in a while, not every time a game is produced. The constant expectation that every game produced should be this biblically epic, multi-faceted opus sung by a choir of Angels from Heaven, with appropriate accompaniment by thunder, lightning, and a voice from the Deep expounding the Truths of Existence, is just not reasonable or consistenly attainable; not to mention the fact people just don't have the money to pay for that sort of thing every time or the time to constantly invest in playing such a thing. You have to take a break from stuff like that and deal with something smaller, simpler, more intimate in nature. Something creative.

ADDENDUM: Here is an NPR interview with social psychologist Dan Ariely:
Exploring the 'Upside of Irrationality' [http://www.npr.org/tablet/#story/?storyId=127352130]
Pay particular attention to the segment where he is talking about compensation versus performance and the nonintuitive result that people actually perform worse when the possibility of pay-off is very great. The reason? Stress. People over stress themselves if the possibility of pay-off becomes exceedingly high. They just try too hard and end up failing. I think this behavior has ties into the hit-or-miss nature of the AAA-title model. (This is not to say that people should not try to be successful or obtain great gains for their efforts, but there is a point of reason, beyond which things break down. All things in moderation and proper form, as always.)