Too Human Dev Predicts Social Gaming Crash

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
There is one aspect here that wasn't mentionned that also may contribute to an economic crash in the social gaming space. The same aspect that killed the Furby fad: It's fucking annoying. Having millions of beggars online using their friends like leeches, that's not a good way to become popular in a sustainable way. That may sound irrelevant, but when everyone who is annoyed by a product say it in concert, it can have a drastic impact. I'm not saying that it WILL happen, but if I had to take a bet here, it would be on the same side as Dyack. Just because the guy appears to be lunatic while exposed to the media doesn't mean that everything he says is wrong.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
He's just jealous that they're selling more than the piece of crap game he turned out.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
While I'm not saying that this fella is necessarily wrong, industry people predicting the demise of their greatest threat is a rather common phenomenon. The creators of Nomad were positive the iPod was just a quickly fading fad, traditional RPG game developers prophesied that Meridian 59, Ultima Online and the whole MMORPG scene were dead on arrival (though, admittedly, they were partly right ;) ), and just about every third AAA developer are quick to tell us that smartphone gaming is a short-term temporary concept.

My guess is that regardless of whether they are right or wrong, in many cases these opinions are inspired by not by solid information and analysis, but by hope and worry.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Would I rather play Too Human than Farmvile...?
I'll have to get back to you on that. Is suicide viable?

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
ZombieGenesis said:
Would I rather play Too Human than Farmvile...?
I'll have to get back to you on that. Is suicide viable?
Nope. In today's gaming scene, you don't get to choose the easy way out ;-)

beema

Aug 19, 2009
That's great. Too bad this opinion comes from a developer that ceased being relevant 6 years ago.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
HAHAHAHAHA. No fucking chance guy, have you seen the profits on these things?

Go finish off your broken trilogy.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
John Jackson said:
Now I respect my opponent, I think he's a good man, but quite frankly, I agree with everything he just said.
As hard as it is to agree with the mastermind behind Too Human, he has a point.

Then again, he also doesn't. It's possible the social gaming market will collapse, but its also possible that it will skyrocket.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
CpnChaos said:
Yeah, let's take the word from the man that thought Too Human was a good idea. That sounds legit enough!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thats like taking driving instructions from the Captain of the Titanic.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
He said that he was not the only person in the industry to think like this,
and that a lot of companies were hesitant about taking the plunge into social gaming.
"I think there are a lot of publishers out there that don't agree with it and they just haven't spoken about it," he said.
"I don't see Nintendo going into that space, as an example. There are a lot of publishers that I don't see going into that space."
What's interesting about Dyack's comments, however, is that he doesn't seem to be able to understand why some might find social games appealing.
He said that social games looked more like marketing than "real gaming" and that he didn't think that they were a good use of his time.
You actually mean that you have an opinion that someone else shares? My god it's a miracle!
Well that would mean that companies inexperienced in social gaming are hesitant to start as they could waste time and money, how is that even surprising? Companies like to stick to what they know as its safe.
Well that is undeniable proof, you think other publishers agree with you, despite no reasoning.
Well if every publisher went in to it most of them would lose money as the market would be oversaturated.
A man who can't understand why people enjoy social gaming let alone understaning that people have different likes/tastes to him, wow he is insightfull.
Why are they more like marketing? (seriously someone explain this to me i dont understand as i have no experience with social gaming) And too human was a good use of his time?

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
CpnChaos said:
Yeah, let's take the word from the man that thought Too Human was a good idea. That sounds legit enough!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thats like taking driving instructions from the Captain of the Titanic.
zapp brannigan? This explains alot.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"The Silicon Knights boss says that social games are more like marketing than "real games."
And I dare pose Too Human, which he worked on for many, many years is more like crap than "good games". So who is he to judge?

"I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. It seems imaginary to me ... it doesn't look long-term healthy to me.""
Seems like someone is extremely desparate for attention. Investor problems?

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
CpnChaos said:
It would be better to say that he's the same guy who thought that the market would prefer that over another game like Eternal Darkness. He absolutely lost all license to predict anything in the market when he made that mistake.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
While I realize this guy has a big failure tied to his name, I also tend to agree with him on this point.

I remember the huge craze over anything with a .com at the end of it in the late 90's and early oughts. Anyone remember Pets.com?

Sometimes investors are so rabid to be in on the next big thing, their speculation is bigger than the pool of profit to be had. While some .coms remain profitable today, many others struggle. Even mighty ebay is having trouble, and it was considered the juggernaut of .coms.

I still say, there is a limited amount of money to be had in social gaming. People who might put a dollar or two down to buy a new Smurf hat aren't going to support a multimillion dollar production. These games are profitable because they are cheap to make. But if everyone gets in on the business, how do you compete against so many identical products? Companies will have to start making flashier and flashier games, and that's when they will begin to fail.

People who only play free to play games, for the most part, aren't interested in plunking down $60 for a game that uses a controller that has more than 10 buttons on it, and requires an hour long tutorial to learn how to play it. If they were, they'd have done it long ago. They want something simple, and cheap - something they can fiddle with while they fuck off at work, or stand in the grocery line. There is a limit to how much money people like this are willing to spend to screw around on their phone. The more expensive these free to play endeavors become, the less profit these companies will make.

Personally, I also see this as a bubble. There's money to be had there, for sure. It just isn't as much as all the investors hope for.

Feb 13, 2008
uguito-93 said:
Exactly, what makes a platform good is the software that supports it, which is why i believe its still too early to pass that kind of judgement on the 3DS seeing as how all we have to go by is its mediocre launch lineup.
The launch lineup should make it a must have though. Unless it gets a Portal, Professor Layton or Ghost Trick pretty soon, I'm predicting a nasty death.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
HankMan said:
iLikeHippos said:
I'm taking entrepreneur classes; studying to become a business man, and that term have never stumbled upon my learnings. Like, never.
And I thought Sweden was supposed to have a good education system, although that would explain WHY the dam things keep forming.
Eeeehhhh... Not sure if srs.

Did you know they attempted to tax males for simply being male here?
That should answer all of your questions.

Still, better than Americas I suppose. *Shrug*

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
The only reason Farmville works at all is because of Facebook... if anything happened to Facebook, their current model would fail. Their audience of casual timewasters checking their friends' status whilst casually playing would move on to (hopefully) better things. It'll only take one really bad security issue (see PSN for those who don't think it could happen) and people would abandon Facebook in droves.

Not so long ago, Second Life was the big thing... Lots of money invested, live concerts played in game, advertisements, product placement... anyone still play Second Life?

I'm not sure if I agree with the guy or not, but I think that as long as there is money to be made by advertising to a captive audience of players, there'll be some form of social gaming.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Hmmm, well Too Human was awful and hardly a game in either content, replay-ability or really anything more than glorified spectacle/interactive movie.

So maybe what he thinks does really matter...

I dont really play social games, but the in many ways the are a return to BBS games and PC games such as the original simcity/ tycoon vein..

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
To me I think Social gaming is a waste of time, it doesn't enrich anyone life in any from or manner.