TorrentFreak Reveals Top Pirated Games of 2011

nsqared

Nov 1, 2011
There are really pirates on the Wii?
Man, those are some hardcore nursing homes.

...On the other hand, i'm surprised there wasn't an inclusion of mobile games, as most of my friends have jailbroken their iPods and downloaded all apps for free. I guess that's a bit harder to track, though.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I'm glad Crysis 2 was pirated the most, teach Crytek a lesson for releasing that piece of crap game.

Releasing a game with no-anti cheat, that was a horrible console port and that removed everything that made the original Crysis multiplayer good was a stupid idea by them. Wish I could get my money back for it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
1. torrentfeaks statistics are flawed. they intentionally skip some huge sites out of their statistics. you cant really say this or that is more pirated by thier numbers. most downloads happen in private trackers which they have no acess to anyway.
2. point t 1 is proven by PC leading the way, when in reality both xbox and PS3 has quite high download numbers as well as PC. PS3 has much lower number because pirates would have to buy the awfully overpriced empty blue ray discs.
3. It is obvious that pirates have no taste. I cna understand Crysis 2, its a full price for a 5 hour long CGI fest. But games like fifa and call of duty.....
4. pirating numbers can be very easily lowered if they, well, actually allowed us to buy games we want and maybe for a bit less than half of months pay?
5. Failed sales are not loss. Gaming industry has been one of the most profitable industry during the whole crysis timeframe. if you count failed sales as a loss i can blame pretty much anyone for not selling highly overpriced crap and be right about it.

lol 4 million downloads on the counter for just one game on just one platform for just one method of piracy for only as much as one website can keep track of and still there are claims those people couldn't afford it..

It sure is quite the first-world problem for enough people to fill a small country that they can´t afford their luxury 20 a piece products (if you just get it second hand and not on release date) after already having a console and presumably education, food, tv, internet, a place to live, basic medical help where needed etc.
4 million downloads.
6 billion people in second and third world countries.
thats a 0,067% of non-first world people that downloaded it. say what?
also, i live in second world country, and an average pay will not be enough for food, tv, internet, a palce to live and medical help. actually, it wont be enough for medical help alone. higher education is luxury. game costing third of your monthly pay ending up in 5 hour cgi movie (crysis 2) isnt really worth starving for a month is it?

I'm a little surprised at the console numbers. I thought console piracy was very difficult to conduct and maintain.
its not hard at all. people have streamlined the method. the problem is you got to buy expensive discs for that.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
theonecookie said:
So the WII has more piracy than the Xbox is it me or is that bit odd
Nah, the Wii was cracked sooner and better. It doesn't even require any soldering to use the best modding kit, it doesn't even require the use of discs. All it takes is the modding kit (which needs no soldering or technical knowledge at all) and an external hard drive and you got the games up an running in no time.

Hmm. Xenoblade being pirated... isn't that just what the Jimquisition tols us would happen? Nintendo of America could probably take some of the blame for that one being the third most pirated game out there...

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
theonecookie said:
So the WII has more piracy than the Xbox is it me or is that bit odd
It's not that it has more privacy...

Just more that most gamers older than 10 hate the WII as a rule, meaning less downloads. Me included.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
saregos said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Even 700,000 copies of a full-priced Xbox title is still a painful $42,000,000 of potential revenue loss.
It wouldn't be fair to say that every pirated copy represents a lost sale, but it would be equally unfair to say that every copy didn't.
So why did you? And if you actually read the studies (instead of jumping into an "OMG PIRACY IS BAD" mentality)
He didn't. He said "potential revenue loss". If every pirate bought the game they otherwise copied, that would be the maximum revenue loss. "Potential" does not mean "Definitive". The problem with digital products is that it is harder to visualise the financial loss. Suppose a car gets stolen from a dealer: they would say that the car is worth $5000 and so they have basically lost that much money. Even if the thief argues that "I wasn't going to buy the car, if I couldn't steal it", it wouldn't make a difference. The dealer is obviously still out of pocket by one car.

1) Most pirates, if they like the game, will purchase it at some point in the future. Oftentimes the pirated copy is treated as a glorified demo (and I'll note, by the way, that none of the games called out above have demos), as that particular bit of customer service has fallen by the wayside in the interest of bigger margins.
I find it hard to believe that most pirates would buy all the games they stole and liked. Suggesting that they do is as dishonest as claiming every lost game is a lost sale, because they both make sweeping generalisations about the habits of pirates. Thinking about it, if someone is willing to steal something in the first place, it doesn't seem very likely that they will ever intend to paying for it later. Fairly obvious proof to this is the old World of Goo example. The developer 2DBOY revealed that 80-90% of people who own World of Goo pirated it. If those people genuinely were going to buy the game later, than 2DBOY would surely be expecting a ton of revenue from those 80-90% of players. Such money did not materialise.

As for the lack of demos: it is harder and less necessary to make demos in this day and age. Harder because of the technical difficultues, and unecessary because of the massive number of reviews, forums, lets plays, and other avenues in which customers can find out about the game in advance. Back in the days before the widespread popularity of the internet, demos were vital. Now they aren't. Contrary to popular opinion, a demo isn't that much better at demonstrating a game to a consumer, so it isn't really that big of a loss.

2) Of those pirates who don't buy the game, the vast majority would not have bought it even if a pirated version wasn't available.
So they are opportunists. That isn't an excuse.

You're being disingenuous even putting a number like $42M in your article. Actual losses are a tiny fraction of that... although, as you point out, it's not fair to say it's zero, it's also fair to say it's much, much closer to zero than 42M.
Ignoring the fact that we don't know how many pirates would have bough the game if they couldn't steal it, companies also lose cash due to having to make the game, print it onto DVDs or provide the bandwith for digital distribution etc. If a business went to the expense of making a car, advertising it and putting it in a show room, only to have it stolen anyway, they basically wasted all the money invested in providing that vehicle. So if anything, the losses could be even greater for all we know, taking into consideration those factors.

The point that needs raising is that study after study after study (and I mean real studies, not industry shill studies) have demonstrated that piracy is a symptom of a failure in customer service - i.e. the pirate almost universally produces a better product than the studio in at least some respects.
So does all theft. Think about it: stealing anything provides you with a "try before you buy" opportunity. Theft is the ultimate customer service, or rather, the ultimate self-service. That is the reason why there are pirates or thieves, but in no way does that justify or excuse theft.

Gilgamesh00

Nov 22, 2008
I'm pretty sure one of the reasons Crysis 2 was the most pirated on PC was because they could even play multiplayer with the pirated game for the first month or so. I remember people doing this.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Freezy_Breezy said:
Mike Kayatta said:
The industry faces yet another year of massive loss
Size of global game market revenue:

$65 billion, up from $62.7 billion in 2010.

OH BOY LOOK AT ALL THAT LOSS

THEY SURE ARE GOING DOW- OH WAIT THAT'S UP.

Christ, do you even do any factchecking?

Source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/06/us-videogames-factbox-idUKTRE75552I20110606
That is 'revenue', it says nothing about how much profit the gaming industry made.

Also that is the number for the entire gamining industry (software + subscriptions + hardware) not just software.

Software sales are actually slightly down (according to your link).

However this could be explained by a shift to online games (which has increased revenue)

rembrandtqeinstein said:
There is no fundamental difference between not buying a game because it is downloaded and not buying it because of any other reason.
Except if you download it then you have use of the software.

I have been a coder for over 30 years, I know piracy has cost me money.

People have emailed me asking to support their pirated copy...

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
SillyBear said:
Tubez said:
Meh I really do not care, and in no way is a download a lost sale.
I don't agree with that. I think many of those people who pirated the game would have bought the game if it wasn't so easily available to pirate.

You can't claim that none of the millions of people who pirated Modern Warfare 3 wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.
It's true that you can't claim that "None" of the people would, but most wouldn't.

Why? Because they don't have that much money. That's why.

Game companies tend to have this ridiculous belief that every time someone pirates their game, they take the money they just "saved" and stuff it under their bed until they have their own little pirate treasure down there. That's not how it works. The money 90% of pirates "save" are spent elsewhere, often on other entertainment (for example, other games, or perhaps music, movies, or even real-life entertainment like movie theater or partying).

In short, the problem is that there is always going to be a player that "suffers" for the non-existant money that pirates are supposed to have. Right now the industry is claiming losses, but imagine if we could make all piracy disappear tomorrow. Then the industry might not be claiming losses anymore, but suddenly the clubs, liquor stores etc. would see their income drop because some of the former pirates would now be using more money to purchase digital entertainment and less money to purchase those things. Hell, even indie game developers would suffer from it because people who used to buy indie games and pirate big titles would now be buying big titles instead.

The point I'm trying to make is that companies (not just from the entertainment industry, but basically any company that sells what can be classified as luxury-goods) are fighting over non-existent money they believe to exist. But they don't, so someone is always going to be stuck with the short end of the stick (as-in, their product doesn't get purchased because you can't use the non-existent money for that). Fighting piracy is, at best, going to shift that balance, but someone is ALWAYS going to end up being the loser.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Billions of dollars worth of product distributed that wasn't payed for.

Yes, that is a loss. Damn asshats.
You mean, "however many dollars worth of product distributed that wouldn't have been purchased anyway. Asshats."

Put it this way. I didn't buy Oblivion, but Skyrim got released anyway.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Hey, how do people get stuff for free I have to pay for. I hate being a goody-two-shoes law abiding citizen sometimes.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I don't know if it's good or bad for them that CoD was unseated from first place (they usually win), but I'm happy either way.
Given that Xenoblade was pirated so much, maybe NoA will think again next time they ignore something like operation rainfall.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
BoogieManFL said:
I'd also venture a guess that the numbers have something to do with far more people having computers than consoles.

Also, lack of demos. I firmly believe not having a demo for your game greatly increases how much it's pirated.
crysis 2 has gaikai in browser dmeo´s im playing one right now look
http://www.screwattack.com/game-trials#Client
so that is a flaw in your argument the most pirated game had a multiplayer demo
and in browser demo´s this was just pure piracy and "prtesting" pc gamers.
I was speaking more in general of the overall PC vs. Console pirating issue and not just strictly relating to this one post.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
Hey guys guess what? despite these shocking figures Game publishers still turn a profit year on year even during a recession!

As long as the game is good or hyped enough or has a large online element then people usuallly buy it to be free of the hassle of the hit and miss process of dling and installing cracked games.

mrc390

Jan 31, 2011
saregos said:
1) Most pirates, if they like the game, will purchase it at some point in the future. Oftentimes the pirated copy is treated as a glorified demo (and I'll note, by the way, that none of the games called out above have demos), as that particular bit of customer service has fallen by the wayside in the interest of bigger margins.
Don't give people that shit, you know 90% of pirates simply don't give a shit about the developer and just want free games. Even if you plan to buy it afterwards, it's hard to justify buying that new game for ?50 when you already have it on your hard drive so most people don't(and buying it two years later on sale for ?5 doesn't count)

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
maninahat said:
The dealer is obviously still out of pocket by one car.

I find it hard to believe that most pirates would buy all the games they stole and liked.

if someone is willing to steal something in the first place

If a business went to the expense of making a car, advertising it and putting it in a show room, only to have it stolen anyway, they basically wasted all the money invested in providing that vehicle.
You're missing (deliberately, I think) one very important point:
PIRACY IS NOT THEFT
If I steal your car, you are indeed out a car. If I copy your book, you still have your book. It's disingenuous in the extreme (and debunked many, many times, not that it stops people from making the comparison) to pretend that pirating a game and stealing something are equivalent.

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
mrc390 said:
Don't give people that shit, you know 90% of pirates simply don't give a shit about the developer and just want free games.
Evidence? Citation? Anything? No? Ok then. Just verifying that you're pulling unfounded, morally sacrosanct bullshit out of your ass.

And I'll note that if "90% of pirates don't buy the game", that's still 10% more sales than you would have had if nobody had pirated at all.

There's a very strong argument to be made that what really hurts developers is obscurity, not piracy. When most developers are putting out samey crap and sequels every cycle, gaining the additional exposure from piracy could actually help a game's sales, if it's good enough (or unique enough) to withstand the additional scrutiny.

And, since the developer isn't out anything other than a "potential sale" (again, from someone likely to not buy the game if no pirated version existed) it could easily be argued that piracy potentially increases revenue.

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
saregos said:
Whoops, sorry. When you said: "Tend not to have the unskippable 'this company made this game!' crap at the beginning," I thought you meant you didn't want to see the logos of those who made the games.
Because... I don't. I know who made the game, it's really stupid to force me to sit through their animated logos (and in some cases the intro cutscene for the game) every time I want to play. And when the pirated version doesn't force you into seeing them, it's a better product.

Mike Kayatta said:
When you said: "Aren't as restricted (DRM and install limit wise)" and "In some cases, provide additional features. For example, LAN play or local multiplayer," I thought you meant that you wanted altered versions of people's products.
No, what I'd really like is for developers to actually provide a product that isn't deliberately crippled. But when they remove (or skip) features that would improve the product, and the pirates add them in, then the pirates are providing a better product.
Mike Kayatta said:
When you said: "Provide a try-before-you-buy opportunity. I.e. the ability to try that $60 game before you make a $60 commitment," I thought you meant taking someone's product without paying them.
Ever hear of this thing called a "demo"? Pirates provide them, developers no longer do. Again, pirates are providing a better product.
Mike Kayatta said:
And since I want to stop "driving people to piracy" with my attitude, I suppose I'll start advocating the practice in order to quell it.
Where, precisely, have I advocated piracy? I've simply been pointing out (correctly) that it's largely a symptom of a larger problem - that developers are not providing a better product than the pirates are.

Provide demos, go back to having the logos be skippable, stop pulling features, etc. Start providing the product that people ACTUALLY WANT. And you'll probably see lower piracy (or, actually, higher sales... because piracy really doesn't matter).

Or, we can continue to criminalize, demonize and persecute customers. And continue to lock the product down in a fruitless attempt to quell piracy (an effort which, I'll note, only actually winds up hurting legitimate customers).

That sounds like a much better plan than innovating and adapting to a changing market. Judging by your behavior, I assume you support SOPA as well?

EtherealBeaver

Apr 26, 2011
I have yet to see any proof that 1 download equals 1 lost sale. As far as I have seen, from friends who use torrents, at least 90% of all downloads happen because people hears a lot about the game and want to try it before they buy it.

The companies making horrible demo versions which make the game look like something it just isn't - or even making no demo what so ever is hardly the consumers fault.

Would you ever buy a car without trying it? Or buy a house without seeing the interior? Or a board game, for that matter, without reading what it is about and having some sense of how it actually looks inside? I know I wouldn't and I have no idea why game companies think they should be exempt from the concept of try-before-you-buy.

Yes there are people who just wont pay for stuff they like and that is not right but saying that "because some of a certain group are very unlikeable people, that entire group is unlikeable". That is how racism, sexism and all other "isms" work and they do not exactly contribute much good to society.

And yes I did just compare hating "all pirates regardless of their intent" to being an internet racist. As long as people actually pay for stuff they like and ignore stuff they do not like I find it quite moral that they should get to try the stuff and see if they like it.

Let the flow of hate mails commence

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
the computer community is plagued by more than three times the amount of virtual theft
Piracy is wrong, but it's not theft. I'm starting to think Escapist writers get a commission for every time they beat up the ebil, ebil pirates as the worst people in the world.

Seriously, get a new villain to beat up, the pirate one is just getting stale. Try Bobby Kotick, I'm sure he's said something stupid recently.