Total Recall Getting Total Remake

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I guess Hollywood executives still think my generation is a bunch of gullible fools who refuse to do or see anything original, because that's exactly who all of these remakes are targeted at.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Please dont fuck this up, please dont fuck this up, please dont fuck this up *repeat*

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I don't think this movie needs a remake. Just few lazy ass writers need booting.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Jaredin said:
Oh wow, talk about blasts from the past! Well...with all the modern technology we have today...it could actually be rather intresting!
Ooh... Maybe they could get Quentin Tarantino to direct it!

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Lol, I remember when my uncle took me and my cousin to see this in the theatre.... I was like 7. Anyways, yeah, this is not realy a movie that I consider to be remade. It's not that old of a movie yet, and the original is a complete masterpiece anyways.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Well let's see, theoriginal ended nicely with that vagueness of reality, and where It could be real, or maybe not. Now I just know that's gonna be fucked with somehow. Not to say the movie will be bad, even if fights might be a bit more spectacular, maybe a CG Quado, and even a lack of the big guy himself Arnold, but I just hope the ending stays intact and is not further explained or something dumb.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
*Intrigued Face*
Could be... interesting but as said it won't live up to the expectations the fans will want.
...What expectations? from what i've remember Total recall was not that good in the first place.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Yes, let's give it to Len Wiseman, because he did such a great job on Die Hard 4... Fucking piece of shit that was.

Thanks for remaking another one of my favourites that didn't need an update guys. It's only 20 years old for gods sake!

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Hyper-space said:
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
*Intrigued Face*
Could be... interesting but as said it won't live up to the expectations the fans will want.
...What expectations? from what i've remember Total recall was not that good in the first place.
I take it you didn't grow up in the 80s / early 90s. The 'expectations of the fans' likely refers to the tone of the piece, in addition to key scenes that resonate with said tone.

Have you seen Inception? How about the Matrix? They both took a page from Total Recall. Yes, it's dated and campy by modern standards. That doesn't mean it's bad, especially given the subtext Verhoven conveys in all of his work.

OT: I am disappoint, Hollywood. Very disappoint. I know you're just doing what you've always done, but you've made it very hard for me to go to the theater in the last few years. You want to keep remaking stuff? Fine by me. Just dig a little deeper - people my age don't need to see their childhood again for another 20 years or so. We still remember it.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Hm. In spite of the fact that it will not be nearly as awesome as the original due to the lack of Ahnold, it would be nice to see how Total Recall's depiction of the future would stem from modern tastes, as opposed to the way the original looked, which was like a bad acid trip in a 1985 American dance club, or alternatively, a bad acid trip in a 1995 Canadian dance club.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
A remake... Oh well... I'll probably go see it. But I'm not expecting anything as good as the original.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Whether it does or not, there's simply no way it'll be as cool as the first movie.

I'm just not sure anything can live up to the genius of the original, especially without Arnold Schwarzenegger punching everybody in the stomach as Douglas Quaid.

Who could replace Arnold in one of his best roles ever?

Nothing will ever beat a prostitute with three boobs.
God damn right.

Also, the charlatan who directed Die Hard 4 will at best achieve not ruining Total Recall by associating this likely turd with.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
-Zen- said:
Hm. In spite of the fact that it will not be nearly as awesome as the original due to the lack of Ahnold, it would be nice to see how Total Recall's depiction of the future would stem from modern tastes, as opposed to the way the original looked, which was like a bad acid trip in a 1985 American dance club, or alternatively, a bad acid trip in a 1995 Canadian dance club.
Or, alternatively, a bad acid trip in a 1975 European dance club.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Ok this is one Nostalgia flick I DO NOT WANT A REMAKE OF. screw that im never gonna see the new one! it will forever tarnish the fond memories of the over the top original.

still thinks the best part was when Arnold pulled a random civilian as a meat shield, when he is suppose to be the good guy! XD
Why not? The guy was already shot up, if its the scene on the escalator you're referring to. Might as well put his dead meat to use.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Campy is good when it's done well. "Total Recall" is a classic to me, and I don't think it's a movie that can be done well. What's more Arnie was integral to the success of that movie, I seem to remember from the special features on the DVD version of it that I have sitting around that the movie almost died, and he had a lot of influance on both keeping it alive and adding elements to it that made it what it was. Things like a few of the exterior scenes so people could get an idea of what the world this was taking place in was like did a lot to help convey the movie, and were his idea. I think people seriously underestimate how talented everyone's favorite muscleman is, even the famous cheez he spouts seems to involve a bit more thought than people think whn you hear about some of the movies from behind the scenes.

As far as the issue of things being recycled, well I think a lot of it has to do with Generation X being "The Lost Generation", we were pretty much skipped over by society and wound up creating very little of our own, or seeing very little created to be targeted at us since we've never been a very profitable demographic compared to our parents (the boomers) or our successors (Generation Y which is starting to arrive). A lot has been written about the subject. The bottom line is that us "Xers" are pretty much adults now and we have untapped money even if it's not as much as previous generations, and really to get to that vein of cash childhood or teen nostolgia is pretty much the only thing we have to target given the fact that we have really gone nowhere and produced very little since we never moved into the jobs of our parents due to modern lifespans and various sociological realities keeping them in those same jobs at the same time they would normally have been phasing themselves out.

rpsms

Mar 18, 2010
If it is going back to the source material, it will be fine. Total Recall had very little to do with the Dick story: in the same way that "I, Robot" had nothing to do with the Asimov book(s)

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
ugh... i however take pride in my negative nancy attitude. this film will almost certainly be shit. :-( why remake such a brilliant film?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I see this as something of a good thing. The original idea, as found in Dick's short story, was pretty heavily expanded and extrapolated upon for the movie (as is generally the case with interpretations of Dick's work, even when the source isn't a short story, such as seen in Bladerunner). If the "new" Total Recall goes in it's own direction and isn't just a remake of the Arnold picture, it could be great.

That's one of the greatest things about Dick's work. The strength isn't so much in the characters and stories, it's in the concepts and ideas. Using his ideas you can end up almost anywhere, and you really have to because, as a straight conversion, most of his writing would just never work as a Hollywood movie.