Total Recall Remake Trailer Remembers Things Differently

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Christ, people, it's another adaptation of the short story, not a remake of the movie. That's why there's no Mars.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Metal Brother said:
Really?

I thought the original was a mediocre action flick, and that the new trailer shows promise. I doubt it's going to be great (why the hell do we need to keep remaking existing films, anyway?) but I think Andy either has a distorted view of the original or just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
Mean the trailer that is identical to every other action movie trailer made these days down to even spamming the Inception/Transformers horn every 5 seconds?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I would have an easier time swallowing the "it's a new version of the original book, not a remake of the awesome 1990 action film" story if it wasn't actually named after the awesome 1990 action film. That makes the whole position a bit problematic.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
biased article is fucking biased. As long as they dont have that creepy dude popping out of a mans chest in this one Ill probably go see it

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I like it, though I have to wonder how many people will be bitching that it's stolen Inception's premise. You just KNOW there's gonna be someone saying that.

At any rate it seems to be pulling off the whole "I am a secret agent maybe, but maybe this is all just a dream" thing off pretty well.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Aside from a certain amount of style and visual imagination, the biggest thing to separate the original Total Recall from any other reasonably competent action flick was the ongoing (and some argue unanswered) question of whether the hero is dealing with reality, buried in a fantasy, or acting on a hallucination within reality (possibly with horrific consequences.)

While the new version might be a fun movie, the visual presentation of the thing as seen in the trailer is going to make it very difficult to believe that the "reality" of the situation is anything other than one of the latter two options.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
OK, if it has bad writing, then the big plot twist will be that he never even left the chair.
If the writing is good, it won't do that. And that is all I have to say about the trailer.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The first one wasn't all that great and now they're making it into an even MORE generic looking si-fi flick.

Is Tom Cruise gonna show up at any point and arrest someone for a future crime they haven't committed yet?

Velvo

Jan 25, 2010
Anyone actually read the short story that the original 'Total Recall' was based on?

It was called 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' by Phillip K Dick. They never go to Mars, it's all about how this regular guy goes and tries this "recall" thing and oops, turns out he's a secret agent whose memory was erased... or is he?

This actually looks a lot more like the short story than the original was. Schwarzenegger's Total Recall kinda butchered the premise of the short story with the whole 'going to Mars' thing.

Phillip K Dick was the author of The Minority Report and Paycheck, both halfway decent sci-fi movies now.

I am excite.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
When it comes out, I'll watch the original and not waste my money. They made this because they know people of the last one will see this, otherwise they wouldn't bother, that's why it doesn't matter if it's not a strict remake. Stop giving them money.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
OMG they don't go to Mars!!!
WTF it has CGI in 2012!!!

This is kind of like arguing about Carpenter's "The Thing" remake like this:
OMG it doesn't have alien plants or a Frankenstein monster! Betrayal!!!

You want a shot for shot remake?
Go watch the remake of "The Psycho" and see how well that turned out.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Sis said:
Inb4RetakeTotallRecalltohavethreeboobiedwomen
I would call this a low content post.

Tip: The space bar is your friend and not using it isn't cool. Bowties are cool.

No interest in a remake of Total Recall, it was fine the first time.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
The fact that I completely detest Colin Farrell was enough to keep me away. Everything else just makes me that much more happy with my decision not to see it.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
It really looks like they're going to focus on special effects and just sorta shove in the part about not being sure which reality is real. I doubt I'll be going to see it. Also, damn Holleywood needs some new writers, all they seem to do now is sequals and re makes.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009

seriously. stop making remakes of already good movies. no schwarzenegger in it. i want my "get your ass to mars" quote.
but no complains about the ladies in it :p

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The real question is this: 20 years from now, which one do you think will be remembered as the "real" Total Recall?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Its funny, today I discussed this with a few work collegues of mine. Acknoweldging fully that this version of Total Recall is based closer to the novel 'We Can Remember it for you Wholesale' (seriously, try and compress that) we actually decided that one reason we were not looking forward to it was that Colin Farrel lacks 'presence' compared to Arnie.

But Colin Farrel is a better actor I hear you say, well, you're probably right. But I have noticed today that fewer and fewer actors are able to command the attention of the camera in the way Arnold could in an action flick: he steps into frame and you feel drawn to look at him. The same way Sharon Stone once strode into frame and BOOM, suddenly the screen was oozing sex appeal.

There are some actors still capable of it; Sean Bean is always a commanding figure on set (see: Game of Thrones), and so is Liam Neeson and probably dozens of other's I either forgot or may not even know of but I feel its a dwindling talent.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The real question is this: 20 years from now, which one do you think will be remembered as the "real" Total Recall?
My re-remake of this film I will make in 2 years!

I shall wait to see what they do with it. It may work or it may be a failure. I shall send a minion to see it first, see if they think it is worthy of my attention.

I pray they do not over do the explosions, the cgi, or the macho action stuff. Movies need a balance.