Total Recall Remake Trailer Remembers Things Differently

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
I hated the first total recall. I realized with that movie how terrible an actor Arnold Schwarzenegger really was. This one, while looking sort of generic has potential for greatness.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'm with you Andy, we don't see enough Ironside these days. I'm sorry Roy, you were great in Jaws, The French Connection, and Marathon Man, but the third season of SeaQuest is the best. I mean Ironside was Revok for freaks sake.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
This looks generic and general shit.
People will see i regardless of how it screwed the original over. Total re-imagination.
To tell you the truth - It suits the time. A fact that wants to make me cry...

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Well I wont judge the film although it is clearly trying to be very serious and keep with the modern style of 'smart' action movies. I think they're going to tell a totally different story but the premise, that memories are brought back via a re call thing, forced them to attach Total Recall to it for fear of being branded copycats. I wont judge before its out but I must say that using loud monotone noises in just about every movie with something 'EPIC' is getting tedious. Seriously its too widespread to be anything but cliched. plus the movie feels like its being a bit too serious with the recall centre considering earth wasnt some dystopia in total recall as it is infered here.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
How can people hate Total Recall? Sharon Stone was at her absolute hottest. Do you really expect Arnold to act, his job for the past 5 years was kill something then shout one liner at it.

This new movie, it looks to be missing the satire that helps make Verhoeven movies enjoyable to me.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Wait he isn't going to get his ass to mars then? WHY CALL IT TOTAL RECALL THEN?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
SpiderJerusalem said:
What can they do? Rename it to any other title and keep the "based on the Phillip K. Dick story" in the credits, only to have smarmy internet writers point out that "hey, this is just a ripoff of the Arnold movie!"
It's a tough spot but one the producers put themselves in. Claiming that it's an adaptation of the novel and not a remake of the movie, while at the same time using the title of that movie, is just a cheap cop-out. Maybe it won't suck but comparisons are inevitable, and while I hate to burst anyone's bubble, Total Recall is widely regarded as a pinnacle of the classic Hollywood action blockbuster industry. Maybe you don't like the genre, maybe you think it's silly/cheesy/campy/whatever, but I don't you ("you" meaning anyone, btw) can reasonably dismiss it, and furthermore, I do think that in 20 or 30 or 50 years, when we're talking about films that left a mark, it will be the 1990 version, and not this one, we'll be talking about.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
blackrave said:
newwiseman said:
I'm saving up all my reboot criticism for the new Robocop, though I'm sure Total Recall will try really hard to ruin my day.
Wait as second, there will be a new Robocop?
Why? That movie is still up to date (at least 1st one).
I would give it a try, but without high expectations.
Total Recall, Robocop, and Starship Troopers reboots (not remakes) were all announced at about the same time. The industry is basically trying for another Star Trek with dead franchises (not that Star Trek will ever die for better or worse). As I said I'm saving up my rage.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
I'd rather see a new season of Total Recall 2070: even if it had hardly anything to do with the movie, it was frakking brilliant.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Blind Sight said:
Vigormortis said:
Blind Sight said:
Seems like they're taking more information from Philip K. Dicks' work then the 80s version did...it's probably only called Total Recall because 'Overdrawn at the Memory Bank' is less dramatic.
Don't you mean "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"?

Anyway, I loved the original Phillip K. Dick story. I've always felt that "Ah-nold" film was utter shit. I've never been a fan of Paul Verhoeven's adaptations. In my eyes, he's responsible for taking some of the better sci-fi stories ever written and turning them into awful, B-grade schlock; often with half-assed socio-politic "statements" crowbarred in. He ruined "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (Total Recall)" and he ruined "Starship Troopers".

Therefore any "remake" of Total Recall, even if it does turn out to be just another "generic summer sci-fi action flick", will be better in my eyes than that abortion of a film Verhoeven made.

Here's hoping this one's closer to the book. Which, at first blush, it seems to be the case, even if they're seemingly removing the whole "Mars" aspect of it. Likewise, I've high hopes for the "Starship Troopers" remake. By all accounts, it seems they're aiming to adhere to the novel's version of the story rather than Vehoevens.
I was actually referencing this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrawn_at_the_Memory_Bank

A silly Canadian movie influenced by Dicks' work that was on Mystery Science Theatre (even though it's based on a John Varley story). It was a bad joke about how Hollywood is remaking everything.
I hadn't heard of that made-for-TV movie. (sounds like that may be a good thing, based on that wiki info)

But yeah, I get your joke now. It's sadly true. Even worse, the "original" ideas are either shit or based on some other property.

I mean, hell, did you know that besides Battleship there are film adaptations of Ouija, Candyland, and Stretch Armstrong in the works?

Stretch....****ing....Armstrong.

:|

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
In what psychotic hell was the original Total Recall a good film by any stretch of the imagination. I'm as fond of nostalgia goggles as much as the next guy, but I rather clearly remember a couple hours of Arnie beating on people while spouting the most gloriously narmy sci-fi dribble I think I've ever heard. I also remember a sentient, vaguely human shaped tumor growing out a man's stomach leading the revolution against "insert evil megacorp here." That's not innovative or necessarily creative in any good sense of the word, it's someone's acid trip gone horribly, horribly wrong.... Now get your ass back to Mars.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Total Recall wasn't good, it was AWESOME.

But hey, we'll see how the sequel is.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
What can they do? Rename it to any other title and keep the "based on the Phillip K. Dick story" in the credits, only to have smarmy internet writers point out that "hey, this is just a ripoff of the Arnold movie!"
It's a tough spot but one the producers put themselves in. Claiming that it's an adaptation of the novel and not a remake of the movie, while at the same time using the title of that movie, is just a cheap cop-out. Maybe it won't suck but comparisons are inevitable, and while I hate to burst anyone's bubble, Total Recall is widely regarded as a pinnacle of the classic Hollywood action blockbuster industry. Maybe you don't like the genre, maybe you think it's silly/cheesy/campy/whatever, but I don't you ("you" meaning anyone, btw) can reasonably dismiss it, and furthermore, I do think that in 20 or 30 or 50 years, when we're talking about films that left a mark, it will be the 1990 version, and not this one, we'll be talking about.
Here's an idea: DON'T REMAKE IT. Do something new. Want a thought-provoking story to build a new sci-fi feature around? Dig into PKD's collection of yet-unfilmed stories. The guy wrote a lot [http://www.philipkdick.com/works_stories.html]