Total Recall Remake Trailer Remembers Things Differently

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
newwiseman said:
I'm saving up all my reboot criticism for the new Robocop, though I'm sure Total Recall will try really hard to ruin my day.
Wait as second, there will be a new Robocop?
Why? That movie is still up to date (at least 1st one).
I would give it a try, but without high expectations.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Hmm...the movie actually reminds me of the book it's based off, not the fucking disaster the 1990 adaptation was.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
It doesn't look as bad as The Thing, but still pretty bad. I'm just so tired of the slick futuristic look and the fast paced quickly cut fights in these movies. Was something wrong with the industrial look or the brutality of a brawl? There's no variation anymore and I can barely tell movies apart, it's discouraging.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Crono1973 said:
Sis said:
Inb4RetakeTotallRecalltohavethreeboobiedwomen
I would call this a low content post.

Tip: The space bar is your friend and not using it isn't cool. Bowties are cool.

No interest in a remake of Total Recall, it was fine the first time.
Hi, welcome to the internet. I see this is your first time here. Well, let me introduce you to one, well known means of communication. When someone is expecting something to happen, instead of posting it in full and several sentences, they revert to "inb4". Inb4 is a short and comedic way of bringing over your entire point. My point was a joke, which went over quite nicely, thank you.

Now that you are more familiar with these "Intorwebs", you are well on your way of becoming a true, Internet master!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Doesn't look too bad, except for the 3 main actors not really being to my taste. Oh, and John Cho. *sigh*

Honestly, I don't mind a remake. The original movie was a big fat slab of cheese anyway. It was enjoyable, no doubt about that, but hardly anything I would deem too sacred to remake. And it looks like this remake is going in a totally different direction, trying to distance itself as much from the original's aesthetic as possible, so what's the big deal?

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
nikki191 said:
before watching the trailer "it will be dark and gritty with standard dark and gritty ominous music but i wonder how much of the orignal movie will be left

after watching the trailer.. "apparently nothing"

actually an honest question for everyone. when do you guys think the dark and gritty bubble will burst for tv and movies?
I saw no dark ang gritty in this trailer. When I look at this trailer I actuallt see "PG13" safe out of the assembly line sci-fi.

What was cool about the original total recall (and what is cool about most of the sci-fi) is the actually interesting visuals and alienation of the world.

In original TR we had disgusting mutatnts like wato or the cab driver, hostile environment of mars and much more. The film was in fact much more gory than this one (lately all movies became PG13 fest). Things like showing a woman getting a bullet in the head or 3 boobed hookers are not shown today.

None of that weirdness is shown in the trailer, it's just generic sci-fi city (not that good looking even tbh) and generic shooting.

In the end, I think that "dark and gritty bubble" did burst, and what we are left with is shitty wannabe gritty movies.

God I'm tired of PG13...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Isnt this based closer to the book than the last movie was? Looks like to generic, has no personality or charm. An i dont know about you guys here but im sick of movies with over choreographed fight scenes. Its just boring now and over used. Look in that trailer, takes out a room full of guards in seconds...might as well just make him bullet proof. Kinda sucks all the danger out the movie when your main character is never in danger because the guards are never a threat.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
What the hell did I just watch?

Pass, the Arnie version was weird, shoddy, brutal and had one liners. This one looks like Minority Report,with Bayformers sounds and Fifth Element sets.

I'd rather go and watch those one of those movies.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
BTW, This is a pretty good take on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgkHKBO5b5U
You deserve to be shot for making me listen to that hag for the second I had the window open.

OT: The trailer looks rent-able. Unless the writing is top-notch, it just looks like another summer action flick.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Revolutionaryloser said:
I think the common wisdom that Arnold can't act is rubbish. In Terminator 1, 2 and 3 he is only making the most subtle of changes in his performance to interpret radically different characters and each of them seems completely realized and authentic. He also has an enormous range of roles and films he can do unlike most actors.

People just focus on him having a silly accent in all his films. It's the only tangible detail in his otherwise pretty great and subtle performances. In any case, he only keeps the accent up because it's an endearing quality and people really enjoy hearing it.
Im actually unsure whether you are being sarcastic or not. Because while parts of it are true, well one part anyway, other parts arent.

The trailer looks..bland. I mean you could basicly tell what was coming before it even happened. When the guys raided the "Store"? Yeah my first thought was "They all got 2 Days till retirement". I knew they were a goner, every single one of them. Everything about that movie essentially screams "The same shit you've seen twenty times before" and the "maybe its real, or its a dream" thing wont save it. The only good thing i can see if they actually write themselves into a dark corner.

By that i mean that the Guy is experiencing a Fantasy within Reality, in short, he is hallucinating and not everything is as he experiences it and he will have to realize that at the end..and by end i mean just before the credits roll, with a horrified look on his face...wait a second..DAMNIT, they already did that with a game *hint hint*.

Seriously though, if they do that angle and a good writer, it might pay off. But otherwise i dont see anything new to this, i mean the basic premise and everything the trailer shows is so basic that we've seen it literally at least 20 times before this.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Blind Sight said:
Seems like they're taking more information from Philip K. Dicks' work then the 80s version did...it's probably only called Total Recall because 'Overdrawn at the Memory Bank' is less dramatic.
Don't you mean "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"?

Anyway, I loved the original Phillip K. Dick story. I've always felt that "Ah-nold" film was utter shit. I've never been a fan of Paul Verhoeven's adaptations. In my eyes, he's responsible for taking some of the better sci-fi stories ever written and turning them into awful, B-grade schlock; often with half-assed socio-politic "statements" crowbarred in. He ruined "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (Total Recall)" and he ruined "Starship Troopers".

Therefore any "remake" of Total Recall, even if it does turn out to be just another "generic summer sci-fi action flick", will be better in my eyes than that abortion of a film Verhoeven made.

Here's hoping this one's closer to the book. Which, at first blush, it seems to be the case, even if they're seemingly removing the whole "Mars" aspect of it. Likewise, I've high hopes for the "Starship Troopers" remake. By all accounts, it seems they're aiming to adhere to the novel's version of the story rather than Vehoevens.
I was actually referencing this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrawn_at_the_Memory_Bank

A silly Canadian movie influenced by Dicks' work that was on Mystery Science Theatre (even though it's based on a John Varley story). It was a bad joke about how Hollywood is remaking everything.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
This Summer...
Is nothing sacred!
I think I'll give this one a miss.

I should say though the original I liked probably because of it's faults, so I can't say I can defend it much either but I think the studio want money so why make a new action movie with a similar plot and not use the same name? The free advertising they'll get from us being annoyed alone will publicise this movie.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FelixG said:
By god! What with those people spreading the petition about the new ninja turtles movie we are going to be back in the 90s before long!

Wait... if we get knocked into the 90s does that mean the next remake of total recall will be the original?
It also means that time will collapse in on itself from the paradox.

THIS IS WHAT MOVIEBOB WAS WARNING ABOUT, PEOPLE!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Sis said:
Crono1973 said:
Sis said:
Inb4RetakeTotallRecalltohavethreeboobiedwomen
I would call this a low content post.

Tip: The space bar is your friend and not using it isn't cool. Bowties are cool.

No interest in a remake of Total Recall, it was fine the first time.
Hi, welcome to the internet. I see this is your first time here. Well, let me introduce you to one, well known means of communication. When someone is expecting something to happen, instead of posting it in full and several sentences, they revert to "inb4". Inb4 is a short and comedic way of bringing over your entire point. My point was a joke, which went over quite nicely, thank you.

Now that you are more familiar with these "Intorwebs", you are well on your way of becoming a true, Internet master!
Is it comedic? It seems pretty dumb to purposely misspelling words and not use spaces. I guess I forgot to laugh because it really isn't funny at all.