Trailers: BioShock Infinite Gameplay

Flamingpenguin

Nov 10, 2009
That was BEAUTIFUL. I mean... There are a lot of things I'm glad to see there. Let's list them, shall we?

1) More open world.
Glad to see some sniper rifle action in there, and the huge statues and the bell crashing were great moments.

2) Scenery is beautiful.
I mean... It looks nice! It's not brown or dark and wet or anything! :D

3) Character development.
You talk, and not sparingly. Even during gameplay. Awww yeah. Plus, you're dealing with another character who talks.

4) Return to political commentary.
What's all this about foreigners, eh? Well Rumor has it this game is set in the early 1900's, and takes place on a floating city/battleship in the sky [obvious] launched by the U.S. government and relates heavily to the concept of exceptionalism [Not as obvious]. Good to see, as the bashing of Ayn Rand was part of what made Bioshock fun. [And part of the reason why the second game felt empty to me.]

5) Complex interactions and paths.
You walk into the bar. Bartender shoots you. Crowd gets riled. You hold them off, but it's obvious you're not making it through that bar. They probably didn't even program the back of the bar, for god's sake. (Well okay, they probably did, but you get the point)

6) Factions and enemies.
Say goodbye to big daddies as you know them! New guys look scary and more like bosses than typical enemies. Boy am I glad!

Also, now they're working the game's plot into the driving force of the game in terms of enemies. It's clear you are an outsider. You have plasmids, and are more powerful than the regular citizens. My guess is you're part of a stronger but smaller faction. Great excuse to have enemies be human and be totally sane, contributing members to plot, huh?

7) No health bar.
I got tired of keeping my eye on it anyways. Good riddance.

8) Wrench jousting.
I mean... This is some creative stuff! ._.

So yeah. Epic.

Trizshjen

May 20, 2010
the thing that stood out to me was the changing propaganda throughout the footage ones that imediately stood out were:
the politician dudes badge changing to communist when his eyes lit up
the banner on the ground after bell tower fell morphing and changing
the painting in the bar changing from horses to a picture of a man

i am intrigued and hope perception is a big theme of the game

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
dfcrackhead said:
Chris^^ said:
what the fuck was that?
just ran like some kind of retarded dream sequence, isn't the whole point of Bioshock that its set in the real world? just looks to me like another unnecessary and over the top pr/sequel..
the whole world looks implausibly stupid and contrived, I can't see myself ever enjoying playing a game like that.
The first Bioshock was in a ruined underwater "utopia" where people had been OD-ing on shots that gave you superpowers, there were giant stomping killer robots that protected little girls that had a bunch of super cool shit in them. If thats the "real" world, I'm obviously fucking crazy because I live somewhere REALLY different.
I did mean under the real world, but have you ever been to Salford?
the thought of a submerged utopia is very 30s so I found it at least believable, flying cities though...

Withard

Feb 4, 2010
Chris^^ said:
dfcrackhead said:
Chris^^ said:
what the fuck was that?
just ran like some kind of retarded dream sequence, isn't the whole point of Bioshock that its set in the real world? just looks to me like another unnecessary and over the top pr/sequel..
the whole world looks implausibly stupid and contrived, I can't see myself ever enjoying playing a game like that.
The first Bioshock was in a ruined underwater "utopia" where people had been OD-ing on shots that gave you superpowers, there were giant stomping killer robots that protected little girls that had a bunch of super cool shit in them. If thats the "real" world, I'm obviously fucking crazy because I live somewhere REALLY different.
the thought of a submerged utopia is very 30s so I found it at least believable, flying cities though...
*sigh #2*

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
SnipErlite said:
Holy....

*snip*

When the gun was picked up and he turned around with...murder? In his eyes...that was creeeeepy.
Well played, Sir. ;) I was quite interested in the "Murder of Crows" drink as well. Did it specifically attune you to crows as used by the other guy who was feeding them like pigeons? Is it a general psychic energy tonic? Either way, the game looks amazing and even if it is a bit scripted I somehow think I'd play this one more than once. Mmmm, I can't wait for the release date for this one!

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Gyrefalcon said:
Well played, Sir. ;) I was quite interested in the "Murder of Crows" drink as well. Did it specifically attune you to crows as used by the other guy who was feeding them like pigeons? Is it a general psychic energy tonic? Either way, the game looks amazing and even if it is a bit scripted I somehow think I'd play this one more than once. Mmmm, I can't wait for the release date for this one!
Err actually I just meant that I wasn't sure if he intended on killing the player or whether he was set on getting the lackey to do it. As in, whether it was murder or just anger in his eyes.

But we can pretend I made a clever reference on purpose >.<

Mr.logic

Nov 18, 2009
This looks just as beautiful memorable and fucked up as the first bio shcok... also they added a teaspoon of epicness. So yeah im buying it.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I'm sorry but I still don't buy this being "actual" gameplay.

Everything feels way to scripted.
So what, it's scripted using the ingame engine so the end product will probably end up similar to this, also every game has their scripted bits, just because this IS scripted doesn't make it any less exciting. I mean this is more believable than the first Bioshock trailer with the guy getting a drill through the torso.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Chunko said:
I hate to be negative, but I'm really skeptical about this game. I think it's going to be really hard to justify building a city in the sky, so the plot will be garbage. Without a feeling of being trapped, or seeing a city decay around you, the atmosphere won't be the same (which was what made Bioshock 1 great). How are we supposed to be scared when a game is assaulting us with bloom. Sorry, but I'm going to have to pass.
Well stated. I demand realism in my pulp-fiction-based turn-of-the-century science-fiction games.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Chris^^ said:
dfcrackhead said:
Chris^^ said:
what the fuck was that?
It's like a steampunk Jetson's game, besides, why play games for the realism? They are supposed to be an escape from the real world into fantasy.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
...okay, NOW I'm interested.

Having Stephen Russell (who voiced Garrett, as well as HALF THE REST OF THE CHARACTERS in the Thief series) on board is a huge plus for me. The fact that you might end up facing entire crowds of enemies (did Bioshock ever have more than five or six Splicers against you at any one point?) is also sweet. I've also got to admit that the setting- early-20th-century American exceptionalism and racism turned up to 11 with the knob broken off- is pretty intriguing, and I also picked up on the weird things changing... is there some sort of illusionism or even mind control going on? Maybe a weird psychic power allowing Felix to pick up on the "true meaning" of things? Hard to say.

Also, Elizabeth, dear? I'm going to be staring at your cleavage a lot. I apologize in advance.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
mr_rubino said:
Chunko said:
I hate to be negative, but I'm really skeptical about this game. I think it's going to be really hard to justify building a city in the sky, so the plot will be garbage. Without a feeling of being trapped, or seeing a city decay around you, the atmosphere won't be the same (which was what made Bioshock 1 great). How are we supposed to be scared when a game is assaulting us with bloom. Sorry, but I'm going to have to pass.
Well stated. I demand realism in my pulp-fiction-based turn-of-the-century science-fiction games.
I'm going more for believability here, not realism.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
.. that looked fairly pretty but generic. Bioshock in the sky with a different flavor of psychos?

And it wasnt gameplay at all. Where is the health, the "mana"?, the user interface? Its Just one long, sexy, in-engine cutscene.

also; did the guy is the same voice actor that voiced Garrett from thief?

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Chunko said:
mr_rubino said:
Chunko said:
I'm going more for believability here, not realism.
If you're not going to try, don't reply to my posts. It just adds unnecessary junk to my inbox.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
Hmm, you know in the first game I almost started to feel bad about killing splicers after I found out that they were attacking me because they were slaves to their ADAM addiction induced insanity; an addiction which many of them were forced into because of fear following the start of the civil war. They were tragic figures, and I really hoped that at the end of the game there would either be some sort of cure or else the city would flood and end their suffering (I still think the reason that Rapture wasn't destroyed at the end of the first game was because marketing pressured them to leave room for a sequel).

Unless I'm mistaken it looks like the citizens of Columbia are slaves even more so. You see a man in a cart with a broken axle, a woman sweeping out her store while it burns and a politician stumping before an empty park. My guess is that something is projecting an idealized vision of Columbia on these people and not allowing them to see the corruption and destruction that has occurred. And the only reason that these people are attacking you is because their perception of your character has been altered to make them hostile to you. Or maybe it's the other way around? Maybe you are attacking them because your perception has been altered? The fact that you are seeing objects shift makes me think that Booker's perception is being at least somewhat altered.

Huh, maybe that's going to be the twist this time around? Maybe Elizabeth (or some other entity) is the one responsible for what's happening and she's treating the citizens of Columbia like her own personal pets. Pets which, after years of psychic control, are finally becoming immune to her psychic impulses and are able to break free momentarily in order to attack her and her pawn: you, a new-comer to the city who has yet to develop an immunity. It would help to resolve the whole "killing slaves" concern in my head and would actually help develop motivation for killing Elizabeth if she (or whoever turned out to be the "man behind the curtain") turned out to be the super-secret final boss.

Far more motivation than I'd had for killing Fontaine in the first game anyway. It never made sense why he'd want to kill Jack, his own personal slave/pseudo-son. The only motivation I had for killing him was because he was trying to kill me and a sense of betrayal which I overcame fairly quickly.

On a lighter note, the turn of the century was the height of the American Big Band movement, when people supposedly actually liked going out and watching parades with marching bands playing Sousa tunes. So how awesome would it be if you came across one of those parades playing something like "Stars and Stripes Forever" and then they suddenly became hostile and started clubbing you trombones and such? SUPER AWESOME? Yeah, I thought so. Plus it'd help reinforce a lot of the themes they seem to want to convey: patriotism, jingoism, turn of the century Americana, and general f'ed upedness. Make it happen Irrational!