Trailers: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine: Combat System

ctuncks

Oct 18, 2004
IndianaJonny said:
Lascannon was tiny! Anyway, things have certainly come on since Fire Warrior.
That wasn't a Lascannon it was a Lasgun. Someone screwed up putting the video together. Also a Heavy Bolter isn't like a gattling gun, that would be an Assault Cannon that's like a gattling gun.

Also "Movie Style Marines" are bullshit, the only place Marines are that good is in Imperial propaganda.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
Okay. I was quite excited when they announced this, but somewhat less so. They have been pretty sparse on information and just show lots of gore and shiny animation (not a good thing). Agree that this looks like Dynasty Warriors. I was hoping the animations would be a bit weightier, the enemies a bit tougher. I mean, this is meant to be Warhammer 40,000.

And I seriously hope there is an option to turn off the gore. It's too distracting when it covers the whole screen and not at all satisfying if you can cut through enemies like paper.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I saw Imperial Guard for a second there! How will they play out in the game I wander?

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
OK... firstly, am I the only one who like Ultramarines? They have the second best color scheme, next to Death Guard and the most badasses HQ units.. next to Space Wolves.

And go the fluff Space Marines. A Marine Captain would tear through Ork Boyz and Grots like paper. Hell in Horus Rising a Marine killed a guy by running at him, shoulder down, and exploding his chest. And in another book, a Marine killed a Guardsman by yelling at him(burst his ears and he bled to death).

Marines really are that powerful.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
When I think 40k, I think grim decision, cutting your losses and doing what must be done.

I might be able to accept the murderfest if this were a Grey knights game, but ultramarines, while famed for melee, should still be in squad-based firefights. Heat-of-the-battle squad-based firefights, but firefights nonetheless.

Salamanders would have worked, too.

Nerd hate aside, this looks like a pretty fun game, though not one I'll be preordering. I'll wait for a recommendation from a friend before I buy this.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
Fortesque said:
OK... firstly, am I the only one who like Ultramarines? They have the second best color scheme, next to Death Guard and the most badasses HQ units.. next to Space Wolves.

And go the fluff Space Marines. A Marine Captain would tear through Ork Boyz and Grots like paper. Hell in Horus Rising a Marine killed a guy by running at him, shoulder down, and exploding his chest. And in another book, a Marine killed a Guardsman by yelling at him(burst his ears and he bled to death).

Marines really are that powerful.
I...I like Ultramarines.
They're pretty cool guys...
And you've got a good point bringing up the fluff without shouting MATT WARD IS A DICK, which is a statement that I don't dispute, but it does seem slightly irrelevant.
Look at the history of fluff-marines from, I think, 3rd, or 2nd, edition onwards. Canonically, from the very beginning, this is a force that can take out a planets-worth of hostile forces with 100 men and some vehicles. In terms of support, even, a whole chapter complimenting an Imperial guard legion is considered overkill. The points about their rigorous, constant training and their inhuman fortitude in mental, spiritual and physical matters has been hammered home again and again and again in every iteration - but that is something that gets raped by Matt Ward one way, and raped by other media the other way.
Also, consider what you are playing as.
From a ridiculous, detailed selection process which only chooses the best of the very best humans, to a ridiculous, detailed selection process which only chooses the best of the best scouts etc. distilled to the point where the player character is one of the ten best fighter/tactician/scholar/spiritual leaders in the entire chapter. It is more than one out of a hundred space marines - it is one out of multiple generations of space marines that gets that captaincy.
Yeah, so...when you look at it like that it doesn't seem so ridiculous. Not like Matt Ward "one space marine finger actually has the power to fuck up an entire eco-system", but not like "actually - he only has two (is it three?) wounds. No way can he handle that shit."

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
I'm not a fan of cover based shooting, but aren't space marines supposed to be tactical fighters.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Haha! Im glad they aren't basing this on tabletop. Because if they were then you'd die very quickly, since Space Marines aren't very good, especially in close combat. Now give me a Grey Knight Paladin...or any Grey Knight in close combat, and Ill show you how to kill a Daemon Prince in one attack.

Corekrash

Aug 26, 2010
Considering the apparent focus they still seem to have on Melee combat, you'd think they would have just said, "Screw it guys, lets make 'em Black Templars" (Or blood angels of Space wolves) If they want such a focus on melee, why do the White bread chapter of the Ultramarines? (I know it's kind of a nerdy gripe, but if they're making health boosts or whatever by wading into melee and executing over-the-top kills, then ffs use a chapter where they are known for behaving like that!) Eh, at least it wasn't their pet chapter the Blood ravens again

Little concerned over how easily the Chaos marines seem to die, as not a fan of the orks just waiting their turn for death, hopefully this isn't indicative of gameplay and more for show? I can hope at least.

One thing I've noticed some people have complained about is the Marines seem to move too fast. Yes their Armour is crazy heavy, but it is also designed to allow them such incredibly quick movements.

PS: Would much rather seen Black Templars or space Wolves as the main chapter, not dlc, but oh well.

Corekrash

Aug 26, 2010
dantoddd said:
I'm not a fan of cover based shooting, but aren't space marines supposed to be tactical fighters.
Yes Space Marines are, but remember the Armour they wear is pretty indestructible. About the only thing better at providing protection would be standing behind another space Marine, or wearing Terminator Armour. Not to mention they are drastically modified to the point you can't really even call them human anymore, and are naturally really tough to kill even without their Power Armour. (Blood that instantly turns to scar tissue preventing blood loss from injury or loss of limb, night vision, bones strong as reinforced steel, physical strength enabling them to crush a man's skull in with their bare hands, redundant organs, etc,...) blend this with their extremely fanatical religious teachings, and you got some tough hombres!

Basically the only time they will take cover is when they have to deny their enemy a clear shot when said enemy is wielding particularly potent anti-armour weaponry that could manage to bypass all those defenses a space marine relies on for kicking tail. Given that it looks like most of the time you're fighting orks in this game, a race notorious for poor aim and unreliable weapons that prefers melee, hiding behind cover is not really going to be on the agenda much.

Sadly, like good Mr. Doom-slayer pointed out, the tabletop version of space marines are actually really toned down from what they are supposed to be capable of.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Corekrash said:
Considering the apparent focus they still seem to have on Melee combat, you'd think they would have just said, "Screw it guys, lets make 'em Black Templars" (Or blood angels of Space wolves)
Blood Angels would make an interesting choice. You go in to a blood rage, have your armour painted black and spend the rest of the game with a chest sized hole where you chest used to be swinging two power axes like a holy cyclone of hate.

Would like to have two power fists like Lord Calgar wears, maybe with storm bolters built in. I suppose the Thunder Hammer will have to do for the kind of weapon that says
"In a moment, you will no longer be a solid object."

Psychic powers would have been nice too, as I understand it each chapter has access to different powers. Dark Angels Librarians can breath fire.

Zsazal

Sep 12, 2008
This game looks great, but I'm curious. i've never actually played a Warhammer game, and I need to know this. Does the Warhammer online/Medieval universe still tie into this one? Because if they kept up a fight this long, i'd love to know how they got the resources for space travel scrapped together while an ogre is trying to smash down the door.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Imperial Guardsmen!!! I was hoping they would make an appearance.

Also the quote at the start about not spending time behind cover made me laugh.

ProzacMan

Aug 24, 2010
This is exactly what I was imagining what was going on, on my table top back in the day when I use to play 40k (and that was when they had beak nose Marines). Can't wait for this game!

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
This sounds fun, but I'm not sold on the whole you're a vampire health system. Maybe I misinterpreted what they said, but it sounds like you only get your health back by killing things. I guess they just want the game to be about KILL KILL STAB STAB, but this seems rather jarring. It also has the problem that if you get the crap beaten out of you for whatever reason, instead of running away and trying to think up a more tactical approach to the fight like common sense would encourage, you're instead forced to pull out your hammer and jump in, hoping you'll kill things fast enough to keep your health up until they're all dead. It just doesn't seem like there'll be any real strategy.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I will be buying it, thats for DAMN sure. I only wish you could pick your chapter colors. Ultramarines are cool and all but I would love to be a Blood Angel or something else.