Treyarch Isn't Infinity Ward Yet, Says EA Boss

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Treyarch Isn't Infinity Ward Yet, Says EA Boss

EA CEO John Riccitiello questions whether Treyarch has the ability to make a Call of Duty game on par with Infinity Ward.

Call of Duty creator Infinity Ward was shaken up by a magnificently [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100204-Infinity-Ward-Respawns-at-Respawn-UPDATED], but according to EA CEO John Riccitiello Treyarch still isn't a studio on par with the original Infinity Ward just yet.

In an interview with IndustryGamers, Riccitiello noted that sales numbers don't necessarily indicate quality. Black Ops may have beaten out Modern Warfare 2 at retail, but its average review scores are slightly lower. Because of this, he feels it's a little too early to call Treyarch an Infinity Ward replacement.

"I don't know that having two guys that probably don't play the games, in the form of the CEO of Vivendi and the CEO of Activision, come out and say 'Treyarch is our lead developer,' like you could anoint that," Riccitiello said. "They didn't make a 90-rated game; I think it's 86 now. I don't think review scores are the be-all, end-all, but we all know a mid-90 when we see it, but this was mid-80s. I don't think you could anoint them by an executive saying, 'it's so.'"

"The question, I think, really is, 'what developer is going to put forward the next great FPS that sort of follows [what Infinity Ward did],'" he continued. "It's wishful thinking, and let's hope for Activision's sake they're right. I think it's far from proven that the gaming consumer views a product from Treyarch in the same category as a product from what was Infinity Ward."

Of course, Riccitiello thinks that EA has the goods to release a game on par with the products that Infinity Ward put out in the past, once it works out some kinks. EA's Bulletstorm [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Xbox-360/dp/B000TI836G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292771590&sr=8-1], and then our big focus is Battlefield 3 in the second half of the year. I'd be shocked if we didn't take a notch out of [Activision]."

Riccitiello also criticized Activision for taking as long as it did to sell so many copies of Call of Duty. "Activision will do 25 million on the tail of last year's Modern Warfare 2 and the start of this year's Black Ops, and then probably something similar next year," he said. "But it took them, what, five or six editions to get into double digit millions?" Riccitiello has been pretty vocal about EA's potential to take on the massive Call of Duty franchise, so all that's left is for the company to back up his talk.

Source: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-ceo-treyarch-far-from-proven-in-eyes-of-consumers/]

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
"...then our big focus is Battlefield 3..."
Yay, i hope its gonna be great on pc.

On topic... well, i dont care if they arent the IW replacent, all i care is if the game is good.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Doesn't it seem like forever ago when EA was the devil's company and Activision was the underdog?

My god, how times have changed

OT: I can see, and mostly agree, with what he's saying. Though Medal of Honor "exceeding expectations" when he said (in the source) "It's somewhere around mid-70s? Jeez, those are some interesting expectations you ahve there.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
If that comment was coming from Activision, I'd think by that he really meant "they still have room for improvement to screw people out of their money", but coming from EA? Erm... hmm... not quite sure what to think. Personally, I think World at War was better than CoD4. MW2 sucked and I haven't played BLops, so no comment on that.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
F*** that. Treyarch, this game was MILES better than MW2. Those guys deserve medals for saving the CoD franchise.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Out of the Cod games I have played
Cod 4
Cod Blops
Cod WaW
MW2

So Treyarch have not got the top spot but MW2 was awful in terms of plot and multiplayer. Too many killstreaks and perks that allow a player to cheat the game (only Spec Ops redeems it). WaW and Blops were good but 4 managed to get a modern setting without making it all about who has the newest technology. MW2 was just Chopper Gunner! Nuke! (how is it tactical to call a nuke in on your own position?) AC-130! Harrier! Stealth Bomber!

Love Treyarch, used to love IW, now I don't.

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
I think both Treyarch and IW are more marketeers than game designers; none of them is particularly good at all, as all they do is stick with the always safe triple A action game formula, but Black Ops is definitely a better game than Modern Warfare 2; review scores on the most popular sites mean absolutely nothing, we all know IGN and Gamespot only hire those who give in to the hype as much as humanly possible. Overall, Treyarch has the stench of motherly milk all over; they are just starting and this lead for them taking more risks and going for the unfamiliar more often in BO, while IW did nothing but stick it to the safest possibility since ever.

Treyarch makes games a bit more with their hearts, while IW goes for the numbers.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Of course Treyarch aren't Infinity Ward!
The difference being, despite the woobie status IW took on, when they were sitting pretty, they were a bunch of arrogant "hur, our game's da best!" jerks. People only felt sorry for them when the bigger asshole sat on them.

Treyarch doesn't seem quite as arrogant.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Jumplion said:
Doesn't it seem like forever ago when EA was the devil's company and Activision was the underdog?

OT: I can see, and mostly agree, with what he's saying. Though Medal of Honor "exceeding expectations" when he said (in the source) "It's somewhere around mid-70s? Jeez, those are some interesting expectations you ahve there.
Blame Kotick...

Also, I see his point, but we all know the new IW is one who can make a fair and balanced MP.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
No Treyarch is no where near Infinity Ward, you haveto understand that 95% of CoD5 and CoD7 is Infinity Ward's work.
Treyarch simply re-skinned the games best they could, but if they were to build something on their own it would be CoD3 all over again.

The part Treyarch actually made for COD7 was the zombie thing, and it stands out like a sore thumb compared to the polish of the rest (that was already in CoD6).

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
They made the multiplayer miles better, though it still isn't that good, and the story made some degree of sense. The only part their lagging in is graphics, but who cares?

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Did you just manage to criticize the people who made one of the most successful entertainment products in history by saying they didn't do it fast enough, John? That's some skill in PR.

Other than that. Yes. Yes, actually. Treyarch is not IW. Even if you though BlOps was better than MW2 (and I didn't), you have to look at the track records. Even if you liked CoD 3 and World At War better, Treyarch did not create the formula. IW did. [footnote] Please, don't correct me that MoH created the formula. The games are really different. They're as different as military shooters get. [/footnote]

I'm not going to deny that Treys are getting surprisingly good at those games... but, as a long-time series fan, they're not there yet. Yet.

BruceyBaby

Feb 17, 2008
I just can't believe Sledgehammer games is making the next Call of Duty. Black ops is a piece of garbage, so at least it isn't Treyarch doing it. But still, wtf has Sledgehammer games done to earn this duty?

I don't know ANY Sledgehammer games...

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
by actually putting in a bot mode, they've made up a lot of ground in my mind. But I can still name every MW and MW2 mission because they are so distinctive, even when you fight in the same place more than once.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
Black Ops is a far superior game to the unbalanced mess that was Modern Warfare 2, Riccitiello is just frustrated that the Call of Duty franchise didn't end with Infinity Ward.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
BruceyBaby said:
I just can't believe Sledgehammer games is making the next Call of Duty. Black ops is a piece of garbage, so at least it isn't Treyarch doing it. But still, wtf has Sledgehammer games done to earn this duty?

I don't know ANY Sledgehammer games...
before sledgehammer became sledgehammer, they were Visceral Games. so Dead Space, Dante´s Inferno and some other minor things.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
TerribleAssassin said:
Jumplion said:

Blame Kotick...

Also, I see his point, but we all know the new IW is one who can make a fair and balanced MP.
Which not even IW could do *kekekekeke*

Oh, c'mon, as far as I've played, none of the new CoD games have ever been balanced in terms of multiplayer. It's like, every other second you expect to die compared to something like Bad Company where it's a much more slower paced game and you get rewarded for helping your teammates.

Wait, I think I may have started something...

Crap! Get to the bunker!