Tribes: Ascend Review

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
ResonanceSD said:
Yeah, but can it compete with TF2? (or brink, but we never talk a out brink)
It's really good. A lot of the time in TF2 a game is won by around 3 people on the team and everyone else's contributions were basically nil. In Tribes, everyone is doing something that actively furthers your goals.
Oh, trust me.

People find ways to be useless.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
animehermit said:
Tamrin said:
A jet pack wearing love child of Halo + Unreal... very cool.
As a person who loves this game, I don't know if I should be insulted or nodding my head.
Sorry, as somebody who has not played the game and only seen video of gameplay I just simply took the observational approach that if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and flys around like a duck it must be a duck flying around wearing a jet pack.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
The Crotch said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
ResonanceSD said:
Yeah, but can it compete with TF2? (or brink, but we never talk a out brink)
It's really good. A lot of the time in TF2 a game is won by around 3 people on the team and everyone else's contributions were basically nil. In Tribes, everyone is doing something that actively furthers your goals.
Oh, trust me.

People find ways to be useless.
Well yeah, but they have to go pretty out of their way to do absolutely nothing. Tribes is a resources game, and if one of your team mates is keeping two enemies busy, you're ahead on "player-advantage".

It is far harder to be completely useless in Tribes, than it is in TF2.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Tamrin said:
animehermit said:
Tamrin said:
As a person who loves this game, I don't know if I should be insulted or nodding my head.
Sorry, as somebody who has not played the game and only seen video of gameplay I just simply took the observational approach that if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and flys around like a duck it must be a duck flying around wearing a jet pack.

Halo: Combat Evolved - November 15, 2001
Unreal Tournament - November 30, 1999

Starseige: Tribes - November 30, 1998

Quack quack.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Way too fast paced and demanding for me I think, I can barely play well in TF2.

Also I tried the Beta and it just felt very buggy, how smooth is it now?
Not sure about the second part of post, but the first one is where I must dissent. Tribes is more about splash damage than direct hits (spinfusor, plasma, etc) so precision is not nearly as important as CODs. I kind of fail at ground based FPSs because the user base is so big, there are always those guys that play it with such fervor that you die a second after spawning or walking in a room. Tribes lets you escape at least.

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
KillerMort said:
KILGAZOR said:
Keava said:
KILGAZOR said:
The review mentioned nothing about how the experience unlocks unbalance the game in favor of veteran players with lots of experience points. The paid variety unlocks I'm fine with, but when you're handing out unlocks that outright boost the stats of your character, you've gone too far, especially since everything else in this game seems to be built with competitive play in mind. It's games like Call of Duty that popularized bad unlock systems like the one in Tribes: Ascend, and now it seems that this system is being justified with the free-to-play model. I do not like where shooters are heading. If this pattern continues, true balanced, competitive shooters will be gone in a decade.
Sorry, what? What unlocks? You mean weapon/armor upgrades? That are exp only? And take about, hm, 3-4 hours of gameplay per class loadout to get the useful ones? And are pretty damn minor in the grand scheme of things?

Sorry, Tribes is and always was more about individual skill. If You suck at skiing or aiming projectile based weapons no amount of upgrades will help You. I can wreck as much havoc on my 0 upgrades Juggernaut as anyone else. I can cap flags at decent (200+ km/h) speed with my 20% unlocked Pathfinder.
Maybe just practice a bit more instead, hm?
Oh yes, because I find something wrong with the game, clearly I just suck at it. That is a completely rational and mature argument.

Sarcasm aside, I never said that the unlocks gave you that much of an advantage in the first place. They don't. Whether you win or lose is mostly determined by skill, as it is with most shooters. But with experience unlocks (upgrades, whatever, they're the same thing), you do get a small advantage, the few extra hit points or the few extra rounds in your magazine provided by unlocks can be the difference between life and death, and very close matches can be decided by a single kill. It removes some of the competitive satisfaction from kills and victories if, in the back of your mind, you know that they may not have been exactly fair.

Also, thank you for recognizing my godhood by capitalizing the word "You".
i feel you on those armor/weapon upgrades being a massive factor in breaking the whole skill barrier. (especially with doombringers) but if we just keep playing ,have fun with the game, and progress with it along the side it will surely be worth our while. just play more it is after all a free game it's not like you have wasted your money on something you wouldn't like yet.
I totally agree that it's a really fun game, I just think it's a little unbalanced. Cuz of the unlock system, however, I'm boycotting spending any money on in-game items, at least as long as I can stand playing Technician with the crappy submachine gun instead of the grenade launcher. After buying multiple CoD and Battlefield games, I'm just sick of this unlock crap and I don't want to put any more money towards it than I have to.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I've already said what I need to say about this game in the user review section. Its awesome.
But like justin said, some of the unlocks are retardedly expensive. I'm serious when I say you might find yourself grinding for up to 24 hours of ingame time for a single damn weapon.

But its a game where you skishoot at 200km/h! :p how can you not love it?

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I picked this up about 2 days ago. I played Starsiege: Tribes to absolutely hell and back, and I was surprised to see myself ending up on top of the scoreboard just about every game. It really does feel like the original Tribes, with a good number of changes .. But the core game from 1998 is still there.

Pathfinder, spinfusor and mid-air kills all day. I was also overjoyed to play on Raindance again.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Been playing the game since beta, and it just doesn't get old. Despite my preference for the Technician and Raider classes, all nine are loads of fun to play, and the game's CTF mode has a different role for every one of them.

Might have to dial it down with the game for a few days, though - I think it's a sign of playing too much when your reaction to a real-life mishap is exclaiming "SHAZBOT!".

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I still have my Starsiege: Tribes disc lying around here somewhere, and I remember it fondly. The only thing that this game needs to get as close to perfect as it can is proper voice chatting, I mean the mute is already in place, why not the voice?

And don't tell me that [VGS] covers it, [VGS] is annoying as hell IMO, regardless of its functionality. Still haven't figured out the command for enemy spotted @ location.....

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
I gave Tribes a try during the beta; found it fun at first, but it didn't last long.
I probably just not my kind of game, not helped by how under-performed my computer apparently is (despite getting it only a few months ago).

It's also probably the one game that's made me rage the most at map design instead of my own performance.

DeadEy3

Sep 1, 2010
Tribes - FPS = Tiny Wings :p

BTW anyone else finds this game a strain on the eyes?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm I have been meaning to get a FPS game for this new pc of my. I could get this althought the unquie movement feature sort of put me off abit (I mean it's something I can't transfer if I play a different FPS game) and the ten maps may get boring for me.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I am so good with a technician in this game it´s just weird.
One time i was defending the inside of a base from a Juggie and a soldier.
I killed the soldier with a grenade,Used my speed to go circles around the juggernaut and pick up the grenade the soldier dropped.
Then another juggernaut came in i throw a grenade in his face dropping his health to half,gave the other jug a nade and dropped his health to a sliver and then died when they flushed the entire room with fusion mortars.
Friendly fire was on and they also killed each other.
Gotta love FF within a base.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
Tamrin said:
both halo and unreal(and quake 3 arena) came out after starseige tribes.just thought you'd like to know.

game is real good but it is to demanding for my laptop so I probably wont be logging in again until I upgrade.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Agayek said:
Daemascus said:
Ive been playing since the closed beta and I love this game. The speed is great, even heavy classes can go 150 kph without too much of a problem. The Raider class is my current favorite, grenade launcher, perked for extra belt grenades (Safety Third) and reduced self damage (Egocentric). Great for clearing out my teams base or wrecking havoc in the enemies.
I play Raider as my primary class too, but I've found ultra-capacitor to be more useful than Safety Third. I don't use more than 2 grenades in a fight generally and the extra maneuverability is awesome. That may be because I use white-outs over EMP grenades though.
Ultra Capacitor 1 + Potential Energy is my favorite. For a class that survives on energy, getting more of it every time you get hit by anything explosive is awesome. For a raider itt pretty much does everything egocentric does, and more. :D

Otherwise, I'm currently one of those annoying MIRV-spamming juggernauts. It's so easy to get rid of mines, force fields, doombringers, turrets and other nastiness that might be around the flag, and it makes an awesome PSSSSCHHT when the cluster bombs split up. <3

admiraljustin

Mar 18, 2009
Fayathon said:
I still have my Starsiege: Tribes disc lying around here somewhere, and I remember it fondly. The only thing that this game needs to get as close to perfect as it can is proper voice chatting, I mean the mute is already in place, why not the voice?

And don't tell me that [VGS] covers it, [VGS] is annoying as hell IMO, regardless of its functionality. Still haven't figured out the command for enemy spotted @ location.....
Left-Alt is spotting. "Heavy spotted mid-field."

In mid-field: "POOTISPOOTISPOOTIS..." "oh god he's in the wrong game someone shoot him!"