Tv Openings/Movie Intros That Really Stand Out

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I grew up in the 90s, some memorable ones are the intro to Men in black, the Lion King opening sequence, the Rugrats theme song, the Winnie the Pooh theme song, Peter rabbit intro, and the elevator sequence of Get Smart, though that last one was from the 70s I believe? Still love it.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I try to avoid Morricone as much as I can because that would be cheating (and I don't think we need any mention of Leone, his intros being the best ever just goes without saying). But still, it's only "as much as I can".

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
Sorry for any duplicates.

Also, for TV, The Equalizer:

The Prisoner:

CI5: The Professionals

Tour of Duty

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
Magnum, PI (bonus: with scenes from Star Wars)

Miami Vice

Space: 1999, first season intro

UFO

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
You Only Live Twice

The Age of Innocence

Barry Lyndon

Yojimbo (no video available, but there are parts of it online)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
IIRC, the "Paint It, Black" version was from a later series when the quality declined a lot, so I prefer the other one.
I think the Paint it Black intro is better, but I can't speak to the quality of the episodes it bracketed since I only ever caught one or two episodes of that show ever.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I think the Paint it Black intro is better, but I can't speak to the quality of the episodes it bracketed since I only ever caught one or two episodes of that show ever.
The music itself is better, yeah.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Knightmare

(This is very good from memory; I'm on my work machine and don't have speakers so this could just be a guy playing the drums over a cool cartoon for all I know.)

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Man, i remember posting in a similar thread like quite a few years back here.

Eh, my answer stays.
The eighties were a good time for sci-fi westerns (mirbrownbread already posted Saber Rider)

I freaking love this intro (Galaxy Rangers):

Man, i would love it to have new show with a similar set-up and atmosphere at the moment. It is a bit like a somewhat "dirtier" Star Trek -Federation setting. We have a "Humanity! Fuck yeah" undertone, but also quite a few human villains and shady stuff (The whole super-trooper background and so on) but great stuff with cooperation with aliens, freedom and peace for all (by shooting bad guys).

Oh also What about this (sci-fi + classical greek):

These intros draw you in. Just having a narrator say "It is the 31st century - Ulysses killed the giant cyclops..." Is just a "That's where we going? Buckle up" - feeling for me.

Reactions: Absent

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
These intros draw you in. Just having a narrator say "It is the 31st century - Ulysses killed the giant cyclops..." Is just a "That's where we going? Buckle up" - feeling for me.
To be fair, the whole of that series' soundtrack was absolutely badass.

But it's so weird to me to listen to these titles with the extra syllable of "ulyss-es", when used to the "ulysse" original song.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, they only translated one of the three songs in english ? So you had no version of the alternate opening title :

"Through the skies, space and time a ship is going. Against it the gods, the giant traps - it's the Odysseus. Ulysses comes back, and it's quite a long way..."

Nor any specific ending title :

"In the icy coldness of dark olympus the gods have in vain used of their power, of their strength, against Ulysses 31. In the infernal void of space, tired, weary, victorious, Ulysses near an aurora borealis warms up his heart a bit..."

There was indeed something uplifting and inspiring in these songs, which stressed human defiance against the Gods (and how Ulysses is opposing them only "with his heart, with his hands"). It's still, in my eyes, the most thrilling and moving aspect about Odysseus' whole struggle. He and Athena are by so far the coolest people in the whole of greek mythology.

Anyway, my point is just that, with only one accompanying song, you people got musically robbed. :(