Twitch removes famous emote

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The real blame IS on Capcom though.

Anyway, Gootecks is an example of someone who fell off the wagon. Once upon a time I 100% thought the free flow of unlimited information would make everyone smarter, but instead we got conspiracy truthers or whatever you call them. Twitch chat lives on its own and the emote, in essence, will live on through a 3rd party addon to Twitch.
I mean part of that has been sealing off people from information and allowing people to be sealed off.

Which all that's happening now is more different echo chambers forming instead.

I mean Tumblr has / had a shoplifting community. As in a community that was pro stealing from shops and bragged about their thefts. It went on for quite a while until people exposed them and the community suddenly found their act of rebellion and "fighting the evil capitalist system" wasn't actually seen as grand gestures and brave stands by the rest of the internet.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
To be honest I don't really care about what this guy said or didn't but complaining about an emote being removed sounds like the first world problem of first world problems. It isn't censorship or anything alike, it's a meaningless symbolic action without any real consequence for anybody. How people can get upset about something as trivial as this is beyond me.
Because one of the key things about the decline of political debate, and key to the manufactured "culture wars", is petty grievance over trivial things.

Just imagine if people cared this much about whether their fellow citizens had access healthcare free at the point of delivery, or not have to use food banks. But if they did, politicians might have to do something about it. Thus ensuring we're busy arguing about emojis is very convenient for them.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Because one of the key things about the decline of political debate, and key to the manufactured "culture wars", is petty grievance over trivial things.

Just imagine if people cared this much about whether their fellow citizens had access healthcare free at the point of delivery, or not have to use food banks. But if they did, politicians might have to do something about it. Thus ensuring we're busy arguing about emojis is very convenient for them.
Just paint an enemy is all you need to do

It is often over trivial bullshit the thing being it gets blown up as the most important thing in the world.
E.G. a fairly little well known game suddenly being accused of excluding women from the industry by merely existing and being actually harmful to women because the female character is sexy (and ignoring that she's apparently fairly realistic from an anatomical perspective.)

The problem with the healthcare debate is some people have adopted the position that the way to change society is by forcing change in media. So rather than post apocalyptic media where humans fight over scraps it's a harmonious post apocalyptic society commune where everyone works together in perfect harmony. Like The Good Life only more unrealistic and with more collapsing society stuff.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland

At least this is news. Are there NEW perspectives to age-old debates?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
...if you care this much about Twitch emotes, the Twitch tagging system, and Twitch banning certain words when used in a derogatory fashion, maybe don't use Twitch?

Shit, unplug for a bit and detox from the internet in general. It's clearly doing you no favors.

Etika would be a good base for a new poggers emote if they get permission. Was an excited guy

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Company removes image of a "celebrity" they no longer wish to be associated with due to controversial or differing stances in public eye.

Welcome to any form of promotional tie in for the last 40 years.

Companies are not obligated to maintain connections with people who they dont want to represent them. Shared marketing images, promotional material or branding deals will be revoked when this occurs.

Stop trying to present the literal status quo for decades as some arm of a new trendy culture war.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Just paint an enemy is all you need to do

It is often over trivial bullshit the thing being it gets blown up as the most important thing in the world.
E.G. a fairly little well known game suddenly being accused of excluding women from the industry by merely existing and being actually harmful to women because the female character is sexy (and ignoring that she's apparently fairly realistic from an anatomical perspective.)
Sure. One might note you have of course used as an example something the people you oppose do. Of course, so does everyone else. But isn;t that all part of painting an enemy?

The problem with the healthcare debate is some people have adopted the position that the way to change society is by forcing change in media.
Since when has it not? Media is a primary way of communicating with our fellow men.

Virgil's "Aeneid" was part-commissioned by Augustus as a guide to Roman morality and the justification of his rule. Loads of those UFO movies from the 60s are parables of Communist infiltration and invasion. Godzilla is a warning about nuclear power. Imagine all the shit H.G. Wells, Dickens and Steinbeck would be getting for "virtue signalling" and "wokeness" if the internet existed in their day.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
...if you care this much about Twitch emotes, the Twitch tagging system, and Twitch banning certain words when used in a derogatory fashion, maybe don't use Twitch?

Shit, unplug for a bit and detox from the internet in general. It's clearly doing you no favors.

Etika would be a good base for a new poggers emote if they get permission. Was an excited guy
Company removes image of a "celebrity" they no longer wish to be associated with due to controversial or differing stances in public eye.

Welcome to any form of promotional tie in for the last 40 years.

Companies are not obligated to maintain connections with people who they dont want to represent them. Shared marketing images, promotional material or branding deals will be revoked when this occurs.

Stop trying to present the literal status quo for decades as some arm of a new trendy culture war.

Best responses in this thread.

@CriticalGaming, you can huff and puff and get mad all you want, but it's not going to make a difference in this case. Especially if it's caring about someone that clearly doesn't give a crap about you or me. I know you dislike twitch too, but there are better things get mad about them some dumb emote nobody cares for. Just stay away from them. I'm not constantly going to their beck and call whenever they so much a scratch their butt. I only go there for like three or four users and they're not on there everyday, so good enough for me. Take a step back and look for something more positive or fight for a better cause. A cause that isn't just reactionary keyboard shit. I say this with 100% sincerity. You take care.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
Sure, it exists, and it's a joke and smeared in the media as a far-right hate site, so that's another barrier to entry, if you deviate from the norm you'll be instantly called a nazi.
You know, I decided to check it out, just to give it the benefit of doubt... Oh jeesh, first video on the "popular" section: crazy conspiracy video linking Jezuits, the pope, presidents, jews, Freemasons and god knows what else. Second video in that section, something about Hunter Biden's laptop, sure why not. So for the two first you have crazy fucked conspiracy and one classic partisan propaganda. So than I decide to scroll a bit, come across a video with a title about a swimming pool in Auschwitz from a channel called "Holocaust lies exposed", I ain't going to touch that one but I think we all know where that is going. And that's just the 7th video on the main page "popular" section mind you! For the rest based on the titles/channels/first image it all seemed to be partisan propaganda and average conspiracies. But I did stop scrolling after a minute.

So is the entire website Nazi shit? No. But having Revisionist and crazy conspiracies right on your main page "popular" section may be contributing to the idea the website is full of crazy and/or hateful nonsense.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Best responses in this thread.

@CriticalGaming, you can huff and puff and get mad all you want, but it's not going to make a difference in this case. Especially if it's caring about someone that clearly doesn't give a crap about you or me. I know you dislike twitch too, but there are better things get mad about them some dumb emote nobody cares for. Just stay away from them. I'm not constantly going to their beck and call whenever they so much a scratch their butt. I only go there for like three or four users and they're not on there everyday, so good enough for me. Take a step back and look for something more positive or fight for a better cause. A cause that isn't just reactionary keyboard shit. I say this with 100% sincerity. You take care.
I think my biggest problem is the hypocracy behind it all. (see the video I just posted above). But to use Twitch as an example and your favorite streamer in the world (kidding dont kill me) DSP.

Twitch has no problem leaving Wingsofredemption, Low Tier God, DarkSydePhil, or any other scummy fucker on the platform. But one person makes a tweet about a current event that you don't agree with? OH BAN EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM!!!! But yet Alinty can flash her tit, spit vodka into her cat's mouth, chuck her cat over her head in a fit of rage....Amoranth can flash her pussy on camera, and nothing happens to them?

Ban Simp why? Oh because twitch staff really likes streamers like Alinty and Amoranth and they don't want people who view those ladies to be insulted so they ban "hurtful" words like simp, virgin, and incel.

Twitch will stand behind shitty people because they've proven time and time again to do it. So long as that shitty behavior doesn't conflict with accepted views.

That's the reason why it bothers me. That's why I will always bring crap like this up.

Totalbiscuit used to tell people to die in a fire or get cancer (ironically). Why is his emote still on the site?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think my biggest problem is the hypocracy behind it all. (see the video I just posted above). But to use Twitch as an example and your favorite streamer in the world (kidding dont kill me) DSP.

Twitch has no problem leaving Wingsofredemption, Low Tier God, DarkSydePhil, or any other scummy fucker on the platform. But one person makes a tweet about a current event that you don't agree with? OH BAN EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM!!!! But yet Alinty can flash her tit, spit vodka into her cat's mouth, chuck her cat over her head in a fit of rage....Amoranth can flash her pussy on camera, and nothing happens to them?

Ban Simp why? Oh because twitch staff really likes streamers like Alinty and Amoranth and they don't want people who view those ladies to be insulted so they ban "hurtful" words like simp, virgin, and incel.

Twitch will stand behind shitty people because they've proven time and time again to do it. So long as that shitty behavior doesn't conflict with accepted views.

That's the reason why it bothers me. That's why I will always bring crap like this up.

Totalbiscuit used to tell people to die in a fire or get cancer (ironically). Why is his emote still on the site?
You are 100% correct on their hypocrisy. That I don't have a problem with it. I didn't realize LTG still had a twitch account. Just goes to show you how small he is and not that important. I think the only reason twitch keeps DSP around, is because it's out of pity and they know he has nowhere else to go. So he would have to screw up super hard to get kicked off. Alinity I vaguely remember in the wings of redemption guy I've never heard of. Call the double standards in hypocrisy, I just wanted to make sure you weren't getting too obsessed with the other guy or what's his face. Now I bet you if they all started same thing Gooey boy did, their asses would probably be banned too. Like I said before, I rarely go to twitch unless it's somebody I like. And it boils down to about four users. The good people that don't act like arrogant assholes.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Sure, it exists, and it's a joke and smeared in the media as a far-right hate site, so that's another barrier to entry, if you deviate from the norm you'll be instantly called a nazi.
I know. I just used it as an example of people being dissatisfied with how their video platform provider treated them starting up their own. Which is evidently doable.

But bitchute is not for live-streaming, so let's see what other alternatives are available:
YouTube Gaming
Facebook Gaming
periscope.tv
dlive.tv
younow
caffeine.tv

That ought to be enough to find someone that treats him better. And it ought to be enough to put to bed that it is a matter of free speech, if Elijin in post #47 had not already done so.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland

Twitch has been and still is ridiculous with its enforcement of its own dumb rules so I agree with the premise, BUT not with the examples.

Totalbiscuit was redeemed. His edgier days were behind him (in fact he had died at that point) when his already popular emote was added by Twitch. Gootecks hasn't been relevant since Capcom tore SF to the ground and that's the thing: Gootecks' output since than has been conspiracy bullshit. He doesn't give a fuck. Twitch is being pre-emptive here, and playing it safe knowing how it could be spun by trash online media later.

The Alinity hatewagon ("animal abuse! take away her cats! also she fucks her dog!") was stupid to begin with and Twitch doesn't deal a straight permaban for any "NSFW flashes" that a streamer might do. AFAIK, this is more or less consistent. I do agree that Twitch does bend and dictate its rules and policies so that their favorite hunnies stay. Which brings us to the newest TOS additions (no commenting on sexual history or morality), but that was already discussed in the other thread.

Last edited:

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Twitch should just make a softcore section where streamers play naked. Think of the views they'd get!

"Oh, did my webcam slip down to show there again? Oopsie [wink]!"
"Johnny, what are you watching up there?"
"Er hi mum, just some Twitch streamer showing forepl... I mean Fortnite"

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Sure. One might note you have of course used as an example something the people you oppose do. Of course, so does everyone else. But isn;t that all part of painting an enemy?
Well It's kinda harder for me to argue art has no value and should be wilfully destroyed because somehow it's meant to e holding humanity back somehow. than to present it as rather silly that somehow the whole of society will suddenly become a utopia if only we made all Mad Max films about a commune working together in the post apocalypse

Since when has it not? Media is a primary way of communicating with our fellow men.
Media is the black mirror reflecting our society. You won't suddenly create utopia by eliminating any films with conflict in it. Same as you won't stop all gun violence by trying to ban all games with any kind of violence in them.

Virgil's "Aeneid" was part-commissioned by Augustus as a guide to Roman morality and the justification of his rule. Loads of those UFO movies from the 60s are parables of Communist infiltration and invasion. Godzilla is a warning about nuclear power. Imagine all the shit H.G. Wells, Dickens and Steinbeck would be getting for "virtue signalling" and "wokeness" if the internet existed in their day.
as I said the Black Mirror reflecting society not controlling it or telling it how to be.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
as I said the Black Mirror reflecting society not controlling it or telling it how to be.
Media is a two-way process. It is both informed by society and informs society. People create media and it changes how other people think, and that feeds back into media, and so on.

Yes, you can exercise control over people with media. If propaganda didn't work, it would have stopped being used a long time ago.