U.S. Military to Test Iron Man Suit in June, Seeks Your Help for Components

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Rhykker said:
CriticalMiss said:
Rhykker said:
TALOS has the potential to provide the U.S. with a "huge comparative advantage over our enemies and give our warriors the protection they need," McRaven said.
And don't forget that killing civilians super bad terrorists with drone strikes is too impersonal.

Do they seriously need this or is it just propaganda to scare folks? They already spend billions on technology to murder people that is effective enough, but rather than using the money to improve hospitals, education or burning it for heat they're wasting it on a comic book dream. Also calling them 'warriors' is just sad.
Yeah, this suit is for Spec Ops, which is already a small subset of armed forces. These won't be mass produced.
Oh that's good then.

Because while I trust the soldiers of most NATO nations (Denmark, Britain, Norway) I wouldn't want to see what would happen if a normal US Army soldier got this kind of capability.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
As Lucius Fox said in Batman Begins: "Bean counters didn't think a soldier's life was worth 300 grand"
Yeah, but we're Americans. We have a major hard-on for military dominance.

The real problem is that this isn't an Iron Man suit. It's a Goblin suit. Glider pending. hastagthetruth

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Hang on...

But...

... with the fuck-tonnes of money the US Military has spent on it, they're asking civilians to make their shit for them?!
To be clear, EVERYTHING in the military is made by civilians. That's one of the things that shocked me the most when I joined. The issue is if the military made their own equipment then no one would get rich (everything would be made "at cost") so they instead have corporations do it for 20 times the price that way the CEO's and such get rich and filter some of those profits back to the pockets of the politicians who hired them.

That's why it's such a broken system, much like the prison and medical systems. Anytime you make death and misery profitable then the people who profit will do whatever they can to increase death and misery.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I am really excited for this. My only hope is that one day they do battle with Japan's inevitable Gundams.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
When I first saw the title, I assumed they would be crowdfunding through Kickstarter or something...

Any idea what the tier awards be for that?

OT: Seems Ok, it IS very silly. As others have said, the US already has plenty of other toys and tools for killing. How many options do they want here?? .-.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yes. Let civilians contribute to creating something that will ultimately be used to oppress them and kill a whole bunch of innocent people overseas. Brilliant fuckin' plan. And it will work because people are naive and they don't care. All they hear is IRON MAN and they think it's cool.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
omega 616 said:
Oh, come the fuck on ... did you already try blasting a dude with gamma rays?
Unfortunately, yes they basically did.

(1951 photo from one of the early nuclear blasts in the 6 year long "Operation Desert Rock" in Nevada)

and not just on soldiers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States

PsychicTaco115 said:
OT: Seems Ok, it IS very silly. As others have said, the US already has plenty of other toys and tools for killing. How many options do they want here?? .-.
"We're a war-like people. We like war because we're good at it... ..And it's a good thing to because we're not very good at anything else anymore." - George Carlin

As for the original topic I've heard about this for years and while it does amusingly remind me of the Talos from 1963's Jason and the Argonauts (a 100 foot killer bronze statue) I see the project itself as just more bloat really. Even if it's successful it's not terribly practical for most situations.

The standing US military (and its budget) has been too large since the end of WW2 thanks to the cold war. With current weapons technology it makes more sense to have a smaller, more intensely trained force.

But now that huge size coupled with regret over the shameful mistreatment of our veterans after they came home from Vietnam has made "warrior worship" a big part of our culture. I doubt many people would react well to any attempts to shrink the force, especially since a military career is one of the most stable you can have in the US and can be entered right out of high school.
So the bloat goes on. But hey at least this is actually research into more efficient ways to protect and aid rather than kill.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, publicity stunt, it would seem like.

Perhaps this will be viable one day, but not just yet.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
So they name their invincible robo-suit after the man who became a god.

That seems far too appropriate.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Would probably be good on advanced recon and SEAL-type special forces.. Would be a long, long time before this was available to more standard troops.

Would probably not only increase lives save on the US/Allied side, but elite solders with something like this could probably pull off stuff that would normally require larger numbers of soldiers and/or firepower so it could even conceivably save enemy lives by being more surgical than standard assaults. You'd think a small group of of these guys could better take out leaders, launch sites, emplacements, and stuff like that more easily.

And in time, as with a great number of other things that were originally designed for the military, this should help the civilian authorities. Variants of these could be utilized by Firemen, Policemen, and Emergency rescue personnel. Maybe even some construction and mining applications.

There are a lot of benefits that can come from things like this than just what everyone is assuming. Not the mention the advances in the various other technologies that are being developed for this could apply to other things just as well as the initial development.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Sounds more like the HEV from half-life than the Iron Man suit.
But I doubt it'll really get off the ground. Something like this would be too expensive, because you'd probably need to tailor some of the parts to an individual, especially if they want it to do things like be able to apply basic first aid.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Rhykker said:
Loop Stricken said:
Hang on...

But...

... with the fuck-tonnes of money the US Military has spent on it, they're asking civilians to make their shit for them?!
I was confused as well. But I believe they are seeking creative talent. How better to find the mad scientists of the world than through an open call for submissions?

I can see it already... a new reality show... holding auditions... American's Next Top Evil Genius!
Now that is a reality show i would watch, although you might be short on people willing to be judges. How many people are going to volunteer to reject contenstants when those same contestants come wielding death-rays?

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I am really excited for this. My only hope is that one day they do battle with Japan's inevitable Gundams.

So basically a who would win: Gypsy Danger vs Iron Man?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Not to be a Debby downer here but...

Even if they get full on awesome-mode with an actual Iron Man suit, will they actually use them? I mean, there was a lot of issues with getting soldiers proper freaking body armor for a long while and I'm guessing that a Kevlar Jacket costs a lot less than RoboCop here. As Lucius Fox said in Batman Begins: "Bean counters didn't think a soldier's life was worth 300 grand"

It'd be great to have since anything that gives our boys a better chance to come home is a good thing but this just seems like one of those projects that looks awesome in prototype stage and then we never see it again...
It's not really about money.

The main issue is that if any armour becomes standard issue, the enemy will simply equip themselves with weapons that penetrate the armour. The US would greatly encumber it's soldiers to no actual benefit.

Of course, if a battle suit lets the wearer run at 30mph for hours and lift half a ton, those are advantages that the enemy cannot easily take away. So a powered suit may become standard issue.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Gotta respect a man called Dick McRaven.
Richard shortens to Dick, I've never seen William shorten to Dick. (Any double entenrdes were not intentional)

Nice flair naming it after a living bronze guardian.