U.S. Military to Test Iron Man Suit in June, Seeks Your Help for Components

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
spartan231490 said:
You expect me to believe that dragon-skin is too expensive for wide-spread deployment, but you're going to make iron man suits?
dragonskin (or more precise- scalemail) is nice design for body armor
But there were issues (main issue- weight)
Now since there are C-nanotube based plates emerging (Kryron for example) it could be made lighter (and even more stronger), but still- to effectively wear something like this we need assisted movement

On the other hand weapons will always be one step ahead of defense, so escalation is inevitable

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
TALOS has the potential to provide the U.S. with a "huge comparative advantage over our enemies and give our warriors the protection they need," McRaven said.
Um...don't we have that already? In fact, isn't that the common criticism of most modern war games, that the US is a vastly technologically superior force attacking someone else for reasons that seem either petty or impossible?

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Souplex said:
FoolKiller said:
Umm... so the first time I come across it in combat I will chuck an EMP near it and then it will be all sorts of vulnerable.
And how would you generate said EMP?
Nobody has figured out how to make EMPs practical for use, and magnetic shielding exists.
EMPs as a win button exist only in bad stories.
Hero in a half shell said:
Do portable EMP weapons exist? I'm pretty sure that they are still firmly in the range of sci-fi as far as using them for offensive weaponry.
That's not entirely true. Weaponized use of EMP's has been an option since the Cold War (and I mean besides nuclear weapons). And we're not just talking some goofy experimental stuff either (Although there's plenty of that as well):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_weapon#Iraq_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse#Non-nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse_.28NNEMP.29
http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/army/mipb/1997-1/merkle.htm
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/21/beijing-develops-radiation-weapons/?page=all

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Gotta respect a man called Dick McRaven.
He was born for greatness
Dick is short for Richard, not William. H'ed be Bill McRaven, far less cool.
OT: We already spend more on our military than a number of the other top countries combined but no, we totally need this. We owe trillions of dollars, but screw paying it off like an enlightened society, lets just arm ourselves so heavily no one would ever dare collect. It's clearly the logical choice.
As far as suggestions for this inevitability, it definitely needs kangaroo shoes and a chocolate bar dispenser. The former will make the guy move much faster, and the latter will let us do what we did in WWII, kill the bad guys and give chocolate to the "oppressed" masses.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
blackrave said:
spartan231490 said:
You expect me to believe that dragon-skin is too expensive for wide-spread deployment, but you're going to make iron man suits?
Now since there are C-nanotube based plates emerging (Kryron for example) it could be made lighter (and even more stronger), but still- to effectively wear something like this we need assisted movement

On the other hand weapons will always be one step ahead of defense, so escalation is inevitable
way to swallow the propaganda whole, bro. The main issue wasn't weight, but price.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Do portable EMP weapons exist? I'm pretty sure that they are still firmly in the range of sci-fi as far as using them for offensive weaponry.
http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/how-to-for-emp-weapon-stunningly-accessible/
portable, homemade, relatively cheap. No, its not Sci-fi, you could actually build EMP enough to fry your radio or something on a budget you probably spend on lunch.

http://defense-update.com/20060605_hpem.html
They are used by military and professionally.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
spartan231490 said:
blackrave said:
spartan231490 said:

way to swallow the propaganda whole, bro. The main issue wasn't weight, but price.
Then correct my information please
Full Interceptor protection weights ~30 pounds, while Dragonskin equivalent can go up to 50 pounds
If this is propaganda, what are the actual numbers then?

Price and polymer stability can be fixed, by additional research and mass production.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Strazdas said:
portable, homemade, relatively cheap. No, its not Sci-fi, you could actually build EMP enough to fry your radio or something on a budget you probably spend on lunch.

Yes, but besides that defending electronics from EMP is quite simple as well (most manufacturers simply don't do it though)
For example I'm fairly sure that my PC itself could survive EMP blast (but mobile phone and laptop would die)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
blackrave said:
Strazdas said:

Yes, but besides that defending electronics from EMP is quite simple as well (most manufacturers simply don't do it though)
For example I'm fairly sure that my PC itself could survive EMP blast (but mobile phone and laptop would die)
oh i never said that its a win-a-war type of deal. yes you can shield your electronics from EMP, and plenty of electronics would actually reboot after the EMP is over if you ground the circuts, merely pointing out that portable EMP is something even you and i can make.

JetFury

May 31, 2013
Well hopefully the hicks give up any idea that they can actually overthrow the government now. The united empire cant be stopped by armed conflict. Only financially, but our bankers and politicians are doing a fine job of that already

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
MrFalconfly said:
I refer you to my usage of the word "most".

I said "most NATO nations".

Yes USA is a member of NATO but I effectively excluded them in my statement about trusting "most NATO nations".
I know, but I wanted to get you to explicitly state you distrusted the US. So why do you feel that nations that are alright with destabilizing a country and then leaving that destabilized country to be ravaged by anyone who wants to are superior in any way? Yes the war might have been a knee jerk reaction. Yes the war might have been started with flawed intelligence. Yes the war might have been one Bush finishing what the other started. But at least the US tried to get the country back on their feet. Everyone else was fine pulling most of their troops out when it became a counter-insurgent/reconstruction initiative. Or are you laboring under the assumption that US soldiers are the only ones who make mistakes, bad judgment calls, and cross the line? I really am just curious as to why those particular countries get your seal of approval.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Sarge034 said:
MrFalconfly said:
I refer you to my usage of the word "most".

I said "most NATO nations".

Yes USA is a member of NATO but I effectively excluded them in my statement about trusting "most NATO nations".
I know, but I wanted to get you to explicitly state you distrusted the US. So why do you feel that nations that are alright with destabilizing a country and then leaving that destabilized country to be ravaged by anyone who wants to are superior in any way? Yes the war might have been a knee jerk reaction. Yes the war might have been started with flawed intelligence. Yes the war might have been one Bush finishing what the other started. But at least the US tried to get the country back on their feet. Everyone else was fine pulling most of their troops out when it became a counter-insurgent/reconstruction initiative. Or are you laboring under the assumption that US soldiers are the only ones who make mistakes, bad judgment calls, and cross the line? I really am just curious as to why those particular countries get your seal of approval.
It's not the governments that bug me.

I purely take the side of the soldiers. Looking at the training of your standard "grunts" and the general interaction between the soldiers and the civilian populace of that country, the US Army troops usually rank near the bottom. Danish soldiers, Norwegian soldiers, English soldiers usually have higher training and usually conduct themselves much more professionally.

Hell even a former USMC Officer have stated openly that some of the most professional and highly-trained soldiers in ISAF are the Danes.

Yes the war is terrible and the politicians have behaved like a bunch of twats. But it's the soldiers who need our support.

I've never supported the war, but I will stand by my mates who serve in the military.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
MrFalconfly said:
It's not the governments that bug me.

I purely take the side of the soldiers. Looking at the training of your standard "grunts" and the general interaction between the soldiers and the civilian populace of that country, the US Army troops usually rank near the bottom. Danish soldiers, Norwegian soldiers, English soldiers usually have higher training and usually conduct themselves much more professionally.

Hell even a former USMC Officer have stated openly that some of the most professional and highly-trained soldiers in ISAF are the Danes.

Yes the war is terrible and the politicians have behaved like a bunch of twats. But it's the soldiers who need our support.

I've never supported the war, but I will stand by my mates who serve in the military.
If you're looking at training standards the USAF is the biggest fucking joke (look up the "stress card"). The general interactions between the populous and the military have always been widely varied due to the nature of the US. If you have never met a significant number of US Army personal how can you compare them to others? It would be like me saying all French soldiers surrender, all German soldiers are monsters, ect. I made these generalizations based on WW2 stereotypes and no personal observation. Am I doing it right?

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Sarge034 said:
If you're looking at training standards the USAF is the biggest fucking joke (look up the "stress card"). The general interactions between the populous and the military have always been widely varied due to the nature of the US. If you have never met a significant number of US Army personal how can you compare them to others? It would be like me saying all French soldiers surrender, all German soldiers are monsters, ect. I made these generalizations based on WW2 stereotypes and no personal observation. Am I doing it right?
I'm not using my own observations.

I'm using the observations of the US military.

Again. The USMC have said that in general the basic training of Danish soldiers surpass US American standards.

That's not my words. That's the words of a USMC Officer.

As for wildly varied interactions between local civilian populace and the military. Well that just cements my statement. That shit should have been sorted out and standardized ages ago.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
MrFalconfly said:
As for wildly varied interactions between local civilian populace and the military. Well that just cements my statement. That shit should have been sorted out and standardized ages ago.
So do explain to me how exactly we should have "sorted that shit out". After Vietnam and the whole paradigm shift in the 60's what could possibly be done? There will always be friction between the military and sects of the civilian populous because they are "the man".

So aside from a totalitarian approach how do you force everyone to appreciate the military?

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Sarge034 said:
MrFalconfly said:
So do explain to me how exactly we should have "sorted that shit out". After Vietnam and the whole paradigm shift in the 60's what could possibly be done? There will always be friction between the military and sects of the civilian populous because they are "the man".

So aside from a totalitarian approach how do you force everyone to appreciate the military?
By standardizing military conduct and have very strict requirements for civilian interaction to make sure anything unprofessional doesn't happen.

It is always the responsibility of the military forces to make sure ANY interaction with the civilian populace (whether it be from their own country or in the country they're stationed) is resolved as peacefully as possible.

EDIT: If the local civilian populace "hates" the armed forces because "they're the man" (even though the armed forces are there to protect the civilian populace) then the armed forced have cocked up royally.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
MrFalconfly said:
By standardizing military conduct and have very strict requirements for civilian interaction to make sure anything unprofessional doesn't happen.

It is always the responsibility of the military forces to make sure ANY interaction with the civilian populace (whether it be from their own country or in the country they're stationed) is resolved as peacefully as possible.

EDIT: If the local civilian populace "hates" the armed forces because "they're the man" (even though the armed forces are there to protect the civilian populace) then the armed forced have cocked up royally.
UCMJ (Uniformed Code of Military Justice) passed in 1950, done.

Your edit makes it painfully clear you have no idea about American culture. In the 60's there was a paradigm shift you need to learn about if you want to have any hope of understanding. Also, for the record, it is the civilian populous that gives the military a hard time the vast majority of the time.

Lastly, I never said "hate" so you should probably take that out of quotes.