Ubisoft Blames DRM Outage on "Server Attack"

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ah, humor aside, it's still pretty unfair for the people who actually did buy the games. I hate this DRM as much as anyone, perhaps more since I don't have a stable connection and AC2 was one of my most anticipated games in a very long time. Assuming Ubi is telling the truth and the servers really were attacked then maybe, just maybe this was going a bit too far.

But even if it is, it's still hilarious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
I was playing my legal copy of Assassin's Creed II for PC during the time period stated, in the area supposedly affected, and had no problems whatsoever.

My internet connection isn't particularly good, and cuts out at times, yet I've still had no problems with the game. If my connection cuts out, the game pauses itself and I wait for it to reconnect, or I can load up my last save (usually about 5 seconds ago since it autosaves so often) and continue playing offline to be re-synchronized with the Ubisoft server when the connection is re-established.

Yes it is a little annoying that I have to be connected to the internet to play a single-player game, but I think you're all making way too big a deal out of this. Steam does the same thing after all.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Furburt said:
However, that stuff about the Silent Hunter 5 crack not working is bullshit. AC2 isn't properly working yet, but from what I hear, SH5 is working perfectly for everyone.
That last remark about the game being uncracked was not necessarily just directed at the customers.
It was directed at their investors or potential investors. An attack like that is embarrassing for the company.

Of course, with shit like this going on, it's often embarrassing that I still call myself a Gamer.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Kollega said:
So pathetic it's not even funny anymore. All people who know of this DRM, yet are still willing to buy the game, are phenomenal idiots.
Maybe the want to feed their fandom even if they are aware of the problem. If the cookie was great last time but this time you need to wait bit longer for the next ones to be baked so why shuldn't you if it was so good? minor incovinience, but the prize is worth it. And oh yeah there might be some burnt ones in the next patch but The ones that aint are still good.
In common we call it addiction.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I think good wa´y to test that 95% is to do Poll if there are people who play it here and noticed something can fill it and we will see what the numbers will be... Statisticly they should be right ^^

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Desaari said:
Yes it is a little annoying that I have to be connected to the internet to play a single-player game, but I think you're all making way too big a deal out of this. Steam does the same thing after all.
Huh. Well, it's cool that you were able to play, but plenty of other people weren't. If anything, I think too little of a deal is being made out of this. Fact is that there were a good deal of people who couldn't play a game that they shelled out $60 for. Oh and then there's the poor souls that bought Assassin's Creed AND Silent Hunters.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the people who can't play it at all because they have no internet connection and they weren't warned before-hand that they'd need one to play.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
Desaari said:
Yeah! Except that's not what it does at all. Steam only has to connect to the servers once per game, plus various other connections for patching and the like. Also, Steam has that nice little offline mode, so after you do the initial connection, you can go into offline mode and never go online again.

Jul 19, 2009
commasplice said:
Edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the people who can't play it at all because they have no internet connection and they weren't warned before-hand that they'd need one to play.
To be fair, how many people that own a computer don't have an Internet connection?

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Nitpicker of the Wastes said:
commasplice said:
To be fair, how many people that own a computer don't have an Internet connection?
A few. There was one guy on the Ubisoft forums who claimed that was his exact situation. I'd copy/paste, but the server's still being a douche. I did manage to grab this, though:
Zuher11 said:
So the Ubisoft servers are down.....again

I called the Ubisoft 'support' number, and was told try again in an hour, I replied am I going to be compensated for the time I cant play? I was told no, and contact head office if you have a problem, then I was hung up on.

This has all lead me to the conclusion that while i love Assassin's Creed 2, and was looking forward to completing it I will be returning the game.

To everyone in the UK please read up on your statutory rights, you CAN return the game to the shop you bought it from if you cannot play through no fault of your own (whether or not you have taken off the plastic wrapping).

Sorry Ubisoft, you have just lost another loyal customer, I do hope the constant haemorrhaging of customers is worth this DRM crusade you seem to be on.
Maybe I'll get through to the other pages so that I can post what that other guy said one of these days...

Edit:
farns2010 said:
I do not like the new requirement for a constant internet connection! As others have stated, I have purchased my game, not rented it. I am now FORCED to continue to have internet service to keep my game unlocked. B.S.
If the economy gets any tighter, I will be giving up my internet connection...AND LOSING A GAME I PAID FOR!!!!!
I have all the games in the Silent Hunter series - this is the last UBI game I will buy.
SilverSabre said:
Yup, we buy the software...we pay for it...and it isnt playable.

For me its cos my gaming rig does not have a internet connection. For others it's cos their internet is unstable. And note again, I've bought the game!

In all cases the only people you have penalised / inconvenienced is the paying customer...

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Good. I'm pretty sure this won't be the last one either. They should never have been allowed to make this kind of DRM.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
This is so delightfully juicy. This is precisely the thing all the anti-DRM people were waiting for, so we could finally say "We told you so."

Yes we did Ubisoft.

Yes we did.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
commasplice said:
What I'm wondering is how accurate that "95% of users had no problems" statistic is. I read a lot of posts on this board and on the Ubisoft forums and not one said, "My copy is working just fine."
Well, at least on the Ubisoft boards, that makes sense.

Nobody posts on a forum to say "Everything's great! Hooray!"

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Likely it was a server attack, but that doesn't make it any less their own fault.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
JEBWrench said:
commasplice said:
What I'm wondering is how accurate that "95% of users had no problems" statistic is. I read a lot of posts on this board and on the Ubisoft forums and not one said, "My copy is working just fine."
Well, at least on the Ubisoft boards, that makes sense.

Nobody posts on a forum to say "Everything's great! Hooray!"
Maybe not, but I'm sure that there had to have been at least one person who wasn't affected, but browses the boards for other reasons.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Antari said:
More outright lies from Electronic Arts, I'm not shocked in the slightest. 95% 90% .... how is it everything is always over 90% ... never 82%, god forbid 74% .. it MUST BE 95% so we can feel important! Nevermind that is has absolutely no basis in reality.
Wait, Electronic Arts?
I think Ubi Soft should perhaps take the hint that nobody likes their new DRM, or that they should perhaps consider Steam a viable option without anything extra added. ( I don't get why some publishers need extra DRM added on top of Steam?????)

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
commasplice said:
Desaari said:
Huh. Well, it's cool that you were able to play, but plenty of other people weren't. If anything, I think too little of a deal is being made out of this. Fact is that there were a good deal of people who couldn't play a game that they shelled out $60 for. Oh and then there's the poor souls that bought Assassin's Creed AND Silent Hunters.

Well, it sucks that some people couldn't play, but unless this is a recurring problem that affects a large number of players I still don't think it's a big deal. Also, my copy cost under $40.

As for people who don't have an internet connection, I think the big sign on the front of the box that reads:
"A permanent internet conection is required to play this game"
is a pretty big forewarning.

7ru7h said:
Yeah! Except that's not what it does at all. Steam only has to connect to the servers once per game, plus various other connections for patching and the like. Also, Steam has that nice little offline mode, so after you do the initial connection, you can go into offline mode and never go online again.
Then why, when my internet cuts out, do I get kicked out of a single player Steam game?
I also tested the offline mode, and it refused to let me into offline mode for no real reason