Ubisoft Cancels a Bunch of Games, Gets PC-Centric

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Irridium said:
If they cancelled I Am Alive and/or Beyond Good and Evil 2 I will cry.

I Am Alive is my most anticipated game right behind Witcher 2. And behind that is Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Rednog said:
A developer that actually wants to develop for the PC and not make it a terrible port?!
I must be dreaming! Quick somebody pinch me.
Finally PC gamers getting some love.
This is the same company that gave PC gamers always-online DRM to play single player games. I wouldn't start getting too excited.
The post was made in jest, I know far too well from my copy of Splinter Cell Conviction.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'll be genuinely annoyed if I Am Alive gets cancelled, since it's one of only a few games that I'm really looking forward to. That said, it's been a long time...

I dunno, they could just cancel some of the shovelware crap they seem to throw out with alarming regularity.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Worgen said:
they better not have canceled heroes of might and magic 6, Ive been waiting for that ever since I finished tribes of the east
Don't worry they won't. Heroes 6 is coming in september I think. You can preorder it, so they certalnly won't cancel a 95% finished game, plus I would burn their HQ is they did :)

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Astalano said:
If it's going to have DRM I don't want it.
Now, I understand UbiSoft has had notoriously bad DRM, but almost everybody has DRM in one way or another, and for good reason.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
RadiusXd said:
wait, should I be frightened or excited? are we talking genuine PC AAA title or farmville/wow attempt?
Yeah that's kind of what I'm afraid of. Everyone's looking at how well farmville's doing, and I'm afraid they're all going to try that direction.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
Ubisoft decides to take their company in the direction of computer gaming. In other news, Pfizer has decided to take their company in the direction of blood-letting with leeches.

RSparowe

Apr 25, 2011
Woodsey said:
Rednog said:
A developer that actually wants to develop for the PC and not make it a terrible port?!
I must be dreaming! Quick somebody pinch me.
Finally PC gamers getting some love.
With "new business models" in that same sentence, I wouldn't be quite so optimistic. At all.
This.

That seems to be the new marketing jive for 'social game'.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
Now, I understand UbiSoft has had notoriously bad DRM, but almost everybody has DRM in one way or another, and for good reason.
Yeah, a CD Key or a one-time activation or hell, even one activation per day, not a constant ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM. For good reason too? Don't make me laugh.

Jul 22, 2009
I seriously hope they haven't cancelled I Am Alive or BGE2... if they have then heads are going to roll.

Other then that, I should actually get around to playing Brotherhoods singlepayer sometime...

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
PC games? Ha, whatever. Only PC game they will consider doing is an MMO or most likely "AssassinVille" for Facebook.

RSparowe

Apr 25, 2011
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
Ubisoft went to a new level with their "Online Services Platform" DRM. For example, if I wanted to play Settlers 7 and my router hiccuped, my game would be interrupted by a circular-loading-type-animation until it reconnected to their servers. This LOVES to hang even when an internet connection has been re-established.

Server downtime? Looks like I can't play my single player game until they're finished with maintenance.

Traveling without a stable connection? Don't even think about playing.

Ubisoft has alienated a lot of gamers with this iteration of their DRM. But on the bright side, at least it doesn't abruptly close your game without saving anymore.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I would put my money on I Am Alive being cancelled. Their hasn't been anything about it for well over a year now, and what was shown didn't mound up to much. Which kinda proves that not much work was put into the game's development.

Though, Beyond good and evil 2 being canned seems a possibility, given the low reception of the first game.

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
What about future warfighter? one clip of gameplay and nothing but silence after that

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
tcurt said:
PC games? Ha, whatever. Only PC game they will consider doing is an MMO or most likely "AssassinVille" for Facebook.
Yeah I wouldn't really worry too much about that. It already exists. It's called Assassin's Creed Project Legacy and it's actually pretty good, if you are interested in fleshing out the AC universe.

I'd love a free-to-play AC MMO, but how would that sort of thing work? Who knows?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Ubisoft makes a ton of games including cheap DS game series like Petz and Imagine. I doubt very many of the games on the chopping block were core AAA licenses.

Megahedron

Aug 27, 2010
tcurt said:
You ever been superpoked with a poisoned blade?

... And yes, I would play AssassinVille.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Games that likely got cancelled:

Endwar 2 - Covertly announced WAAAY back in 2009, heard nothing since.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - Haven't heard anything from this game, and seems to be stuck in development hell. They might also have realized that it just can't compete with CoD and Battlefield anymore.

Beyond Good and Evil 2

Some of their dance series or other licensed series.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Imbechile said:
Worgen said:
they better not have canceled heroes of might and magic 6, Ive been waiting for that ever since I finished tribes of the east
Don't worry they won't. Heroes 6 is coming in september I think. You can preorder it, so they certalnly won't cancel a 95% finished game, plus I would burn their HQ is they did :)
now they just need to release the collectors edition here in the states and Ill be happy

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
I don't get why a company that has devoted a lot of resources to making their PC gaming experience as miserable as possible would suddenly switch to focusing on said market.