Ubisoft Cancels a Bunch of Games, Gets PC-Centric

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I hate to sound like an old man, but maybe the angry letter I sent them after this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.276628-Ubisoft-Blames-Industry-Downturn-on-Lack-of-New-Consoles] bullshit helped in a way.

Let's just hope we're not looking at more draconian DRM in these projects. A lot of good it does them when it's cracked the next day.

RSparowe

Apr 25, 2011
Phishfood said:
I don't get why a company that has devoted a lot of resources to making their PC gaming experience as miserable as possible would suddenly switch to focusing on said market.
This cannot be overstated.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Rednog said:
A developer that actually wants to develop for the PC and not make it a terrible port?!
I must be dreaming! Quick somebody pinch me.
Finally PC gamers getting some love.
Agreed, we are under-privileged and unfortunately I'm not sarcastic. Too many new releases have ignored us, it is time for the pc to reclaim its position of power.

As much as I hate Ubisoft, I love this idea.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Meh, I don't trust any 'we-are-going-to-support-PC-gaming' line anymore until and unless I'm seeing the change with my own eyes. Though hopefully it'll stop a few idiots from spouting 'Hurr durr PC gaming is dead!'

Edit: What the hell was the Forum Code of Conduct jump for? I'm incredibly annoyed.

http://www.sembeo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/spam.jpgSPAMMED!

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Rednog said:
A developer that actually wants to develop for the PC and not make it a terrible port?!
I must be dreaming! Quick somebody pinch me.
Finally PC gamers getting some love.
If they don't get rid of their ludicrous DRM scheme, I'd really rather they leave the PC alone and concentrate on the consoles. If that's love, I don't want any of it.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
First Capcom and now Ubisoft? I think I like the way where this is going. I don't care what game is it, it's good to have exclusive PC games. (or is it, I didn't fully understand the article)

shiaramoon

LRR Stalkin'
Feb 1, 2011
Don't go messing with my assassin's creed fix, Ubisoft....

As long as they continue to give me my AC goodness, I will only look forward to what they have in store for the future.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Cool. But when I read "gets PC centric", I was hoping more for something along the lines of "PC gamers won't have to wait several months more than console gamers to get the same title". Still, I shan't judge until we see what they've got in store...

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Worgen said:
they better not have canceled heroes of might and magic 6, Ive been waiting for that ever since I finished tribes of the east
Considering it's scheduled for release in six months on steam, I'm going to guess that they won't.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Finally! Now PC gamers will stop blaming us console gamers for the downfall of the industry. Please? I'm tired of that shit.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Astalano said:
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
If it's going to have DRM I don't want it.
Now, I understand UbiSoft has had notoriously bad DRM, but almost everybody has DRM in one way or another, and for good reason.
Yeah, a CD Key or a one-time activation or hell, even one activation per day, not a constant ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM. For good reason too? Don't make me laugh.
right, the always-online thing is rubbish, but CD keys are fine.

Yes, DRMs exist and function as a piracy deterrent.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
Now, I understand UbiSoft has had notoriously bad DRM, but almost everybody has DRM in one way or another, and for good reason.
Yeah, a CD Key or a one-time activation or hell, even one activation per day, not a constant ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM. For good reason too? Don't make me laugh.

No, it exists to appease executives and investors and sometimes to avoid day-1 piracy (e.g. Witcher 2).

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Games that likely got cancelled:

Endwar 2 - Covertly announced WAAAY back in 2009, heard nothing since.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - Haven't heard anything from this game, and seems to be stuck in development hell. They might also have realized that it just can't compete with CoD and Battlefield anymore.

Beyond Good and Evil 2

Some of their dance series or other licensed series.
I'm pretty sure that GR:FS didn't get canceled due to it showing up at this year's [a href=http://games.ign.com/articles/108/1086456p1.html]E3[/a]

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Astalano said:
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
zehydra said:
Astalano said:

No, it exists to appease executives and investors and sometimes to avoid day-1 piracy (e.g. Witcher 2).
what would you suggest then, for a piracy deterrent?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
HAHA! they are going to release a new drm that requires you have a police officer with you to play the game you paid for, remember, you bought the game, so you are a bad person and no one can trust you.

grinner_88

May 1, 2007
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
zehydra said:
Astalano said:

what would you suggest then, for a piracy deterrent?
Make games so awful that no one wants to play them?

Oh hang on Ubisofts DRM already does that...