Ubisoft Cancels a Bunch of Games, Gets PC-Centric

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
if they cancel beyond good and evil 2 Im going to deface their HQ saints row 2 style....
Savber said:
This better not be some fucking casual game or MMO. -_-
yeah when people say PC gaming isnt dying and point to WOW or farmvilliE i die a little inside

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
The one developer who wants to become PC-centric is the one who got a whole shitstorm after their crap DRM.

Huh. Funny that.

Makes no difference to me, I don't buy Ubisoft games after that shitty DRM and their chronic mishandling and blatant lies surrounding Scott Pilgrim DLC.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
zehydra said:
Astalano said:
If it's going to have DRM I don't want it.
Now, I understand UbiSoft has had notoriously bad DRM, but almost everybody has DRM in one way or another, and for good reason.
Yeah, a CD Key or a one-time activation or hell, even one activation per day, not a constant ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM. For good reason too? Don't make me laugh.
right, the always-online thing is rubbish, but CD keys are fine.

Yes, DRMs exist and function as a piracy deterrent.
No, it exists to appease executives and investors and sometimes to avoid day-1 piracy (e.g. Witcher 2).
what would you suggest then, for a piracy deterrent?
Offer a better service, better games designed for the platform, integrate the games with the online community, whether it be through modding or otherwise, offer a fair price, listen to your customers and support the game with patches and new content, some free and some not.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Hope they cancel that shitty looking new Call of Juarez game. In a market over-saturated with modern shooters, the devs decided to turn a fun wild west series into another one. OMG DEY CHANGD IT NOW IT SUX!

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I REALLY hope From Dust is still going, I need a nw god game to sink my teeth into after all these years where the genre has remained dormant/nonexistent.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Dear Ubisoft,

If you canceled Beyond Good and Evil 2, the cult behind it will come to your offices and find you. Seriously, you've given us multiple games on stealth infantry, parkour, and assassinations. We know what we're doing.

Sincerely,
BG&E HD owner.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
oh crap im getting a horrible feeling that beyond good and evil 2 is getting the chopping block. bah if it does get cancelled i predict my reaction is gonna be the same as most people, torrents of rage followed by crying to myself as i play the next assassins creed

CosmoK

Oct 25, 2009
They're going to release... Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Online!

Nah, j/k, but I'm sure I remember them mentioning that they would be starting development on a new MMO (and I think they said based on an existing franchise). I dunno...

Danish_4116

Sep 15, 2009
Maybe the new PC-centric game will be the new Brothers in Arms sequel hinted at the end of Hell's Highway. Ah the joys of wishful thinking.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I just hope they don't cancel beyond good and evil 2. It'll be interesting to see the new PC game, but I'm not holding my breath. Ubisoft is quite... inconsistent so to say.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Dear Ubisoft,

Until you make Scott Pilgrim for the PSP, you are dead to me. Also, any and all DRM on your games suck when I can play Steam or GoG games for far less hassle.

Sincerely,
Gindil

Alkali

Nov 25, 2009
zehydra said:
snip
Have you ever heard of someone who pirated a game so he wouldn't have to enter a CD key?
What is a CD-key but a precursor to DRM?
There is absolutely nothing that will permanently stop people from pirating games, for everything that can be created, it can be reverse-engineered, bypassed or even persuaded to work for the pirates.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Alkali said:
zehydra said:
snip
Have you ever heard of someone who pirated a game so he wouldn't have to enter a CD key?
There is absolutely nothing that will permanently stop people from pirating games, for everything that can be created, it can be reverse-engineered, bypassed or even persuaded to work for the pirates.
I'm not sure if I'm correct about this, but isn't the CD-Key a form of DRM? So when someone says that they pirate a game because they don't want to deal with the DRM, for a bunch of games still that's just the CD-Key.

While it is true that no DRM is unbreakable, it should be clear that I'm talking about a piracy Deterrent, not a total piracy stopper.

Alkali

Nov 25, 2009
zehydra said:
Alkali said:
zehydra said:
snip
I'm not sure if I'm correct about this, but isn't the CD-Key a form of DRM? So when someone says that they pirate a game because they don't want to deal with the DRM, for a bunch of games still that's just the CD-Key.

While it is true that no DRM is unbreakable, it should be clear that I'm talking about a piracy Deterrent, not a total piracy stopper.
Except that you seem to be trying both sides of the argument here.

We've agreed that a CD-Key is a DRM, yes?
And we've acknowledged that people will pirate a game, just so they don't have to purchase a CD-Key.
Which would then lead us to;

People are pirating (In the sense of D/Ling) because there is a mechanism that should stop them from pirating (In the sense of say, borrowing a friend's disc).

In fact, in extreme cases (Such as Ubisoft's DRM) it drives people that would willingly buy the game to replace the restrictive software with a "crack" file that works around it.

Which seems a longwinded way of saying "DRM encourages piracy"

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Alkali said:
zehydra said:
Alkali said:
zehydra said:
snip

Except that you seem to be trying both sides of the argument here.

We've agreed that a CD-Key is a DRM, yes?
And we've acknowledged that people will pirate a game, just so they don't have to purchase a CD-Key.
Which would then lead us to;

People are pirating (In the sense of D/Ling) because there is a mechanism that should stop them from pirating (In the sense of say, borrowing a friend's disc).

In fact, in extreme cases (Such as Ubisoft's DRM) it drives people that would willingly buy the game to replace the restrictive software with a "crack" file that works around it.

Which seems a longwinded way of saying "DRM encourages piracy"
My original point was that nobody pirates a game because they don't want to have to deal with a CD-key. You said that people pirate so they don't have to deal with DRM, but if the only DRM that exists for a game is a CD-key, then I find it unlikely that they are pirating the game for that reason.

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Sounds pretty good to me since I'm going to switch to PC gaming in the near future. Basically when I move to my own place and buy a good computer.

Alkali

Nov 25, 2009
zehydra said:
Alkali said:
My original point was that nobody pirates a game because they don't want to have to deal with a CD-key. You said that people pirate so they don't have to deal with DRM, but if the only DRM that exists for a game is a CD-key, then I find it unlikely that they are pirating the game for that reason.
I see, I see.
Fair point; though really it's only the CD-key (Assuming it has a single use) that is of any value to the purchaser. I could get the files off of someone else, but without the CD-key, they don't really achieve much.
Which would have them then seek out some method of getting around that lack of CD-key; Piracy.

One example of which is World of Warcraft.
Blizzard knows that the CDs the game comes out on are just a way for people to save on their internet quota. They allow free download of the files, but you pay to make the account, add the expansions, etc.

Without those authorisations, those files just take up space on your hard drive (Unless you resort to private servers, a piracy of sorts)

Vapus

May 15, 2010
They Said as much when making Far cry 2 , and then spewed out a turd of a console port..

I dont believe a thing this company says, Its just more hype, or rather, a foundation for a game they will try to hype for PC . and then port out to consoles..

The Drm they use is so draconian anyways, I and many others, simply wont buy it.