Ubisoft: DRM is Ineffective Against Piracy

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
I'll be happy when you let me play all the Assassin's Creed games that are sitting in my Steam library, locked in unplayability because UPlay hates me

(AC:2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Still not going to believe the lies Ubisoft, you burning bridges with Nintendo and lying about WD and recently the female player models for the next ass creed just aren't making you look amazing.

Also if people want rid of Uplay I want rid of Steam also, Origin too since I want all my games completely DRM free and at least the upcoming Galaxy is going to be completely optional.
It does seem like Ubi can't catch a break lately, mostly due to their own failings. If that's not enough, apparently Quebec (where Ubisoft Montreal is located) is looking to repeal the tax exemptions game studios get. Of course if that happens Ubi will probably just try to clamp down harder...and it'll fail harder. The more I see them, the more I wonder how that company is worth over a billion dollars.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
None too surprising if I'm not mistaken Watch Dogs was leaked like a week before it was released. I'm not gonna say why bother but they've gone to great lengths to penalize honest customers.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Hey, Ubisoft? I'll believe it when you drop Uplay, you bunch of dicks. Seriously, Uplay is the reason I don't buy Ubisoft games anymore.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
Another thing is not to sell your games for $60. PC games used to be around $50 and consoles $60 because publishers have to pay royalties to the console manufacturers. Lately there's been a trend by publishers, and Ubisoft first among them, to release PC, digital only games for the same price as console or retail PC games. I find this really offensive.

I know they like better margins like any business but it's getting out of hand. If the extra $10 would give me a DLC or something that a retail box doesn't provide, I'd be happy to pay the fee. But I don't like feeling cheated and there's simply no reason for a digital version to be as expensive as a physical one - there's no shipping and handling or stolen trucks or warehouse fires. You upload the files once, then you only have to pay for storage and bandwidth - costs which are marginal and certainly don't come anywhere close to $10 per user.

So, yeah, DRM sucks, thanks for joining the consensus Ubisoft. But greed also sucks, try not to be too obvious.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Aiddon said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Still not going to believe the lies Ubisoft, you burning bridges with Nintendo and lying about WD and recently the female player models for the next ass creed just aren't making you look amazing.

Also if people want rid of Uplay I want rid of Steam also, Origin too since I want all my games completely DRM free and at least the upcoming Galaxy is going to be completely optional.
It does seem like Ubi can't catch a break lately, mostly due to their own failings. If that's not enough, apparently Quebec (where Ubisoft Montreal is located) is looking to repeal the tax exemptions game studios get. Of course if that happens Ubi will probably just try to clamp down harder...and it'll fail harder. The more I see them, the more I wonder how that company is worth over a billion dollars.
It seems as if they're bringing this upon themselves over time, as time passes they keep trying to create many games at the same time, remember Black flag and all the people they threw onto that game alone?, they need to lessen the number of games and really refine them to a point where they become excellent stand alone products on their own, but since they aren't going to do that they are losing quality and of course when it comes to Nintendo they're just being immature and childish on top of not really showing care for Wii U gamers even considering Watch Dogs on Wii U isn't even due until November which is a long time after it's release, I'm not expecting it to get patched or appear any better either tbh knowing Ubisoft.

I think on top of all that's happened recently they're slowly becoming a new form of EA while EA itself is slowly trying to pick up the pieces and become good again even though that's going to be a slow and long process but at least they're trying, same with MS and nintendo at this years E3, they really knocked it out the park and for fans and some non fans too, I know I'm more than sold on a Wii U at this point.

Ubisoft, they really just ened to be completely honest to us, take down Uplay or at the very least make it like the upcoming Galaxy where it;s completely optional eyt rewards you with Uplay points for taking part with it, have sales on their games and drop their install DRM's from the past and the present, make less games and really refine them, toss in all of that and I'm sure they will look good and function normally once more, until then they're going down a slippery slope that might end up with them becoming like Capcom with the posability of being bought out and not being a separate entity anymore.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Chances are that with this they are just preparing to shove in Uplay even deeper: It is a service and gives you a lot of interaction! Now games will no longer be always-online to prevent piracy.
Instead, from now on every game will require to be always-online for crossplay with your friends, random invasions and other such great multiplayer features. Option to turn that off? Why would you ever do that?

I see it already: You're trying to climb Notre Dame, your cape blowing in the wind, trying to not get spotted by guards lest they shoot you down. "Player xXxaSSa55inxXx has entered your game! Find and kill him before he burns down your spotting tower location!" Then the invading player attacks everything, pulls a train of 100 guards everywhere and counters them to death. Meanwhile, you got shot down by one of the 100 guards and lie splattered on the cobbles.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
They ditch Uplay and I can start playing their games again. That service is so annoying, I have stopped from buying their games just on that front alone.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Is this one of those 'but UPlay doesn't count as DRM' Steam style things?
Pretty much, but this thread alone pretty much illustrates why that's a good tack to take. Just look at how many posters here are wanting Ubi to drop UPlay but making no mention at all of Steam. If you can pretty up the DRM enough and make it into what appears to be an essential service, gamers will find it more than acceptable.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
BrotherRool said:
Is this one of those 'but UPlay doesn't count as DRM' Steam style things?
Pretty much, but this thread alone pretty much illustrates why that's a good tack to take. Just look at how many posters here are wanting Ubi to drop UPlay but making no mention at all of Steam. If you can pretty up the DRM enough and make it into what appears to be an essential service, gamers will find it more than acceptable.

If UPlay actually -worked- in any meaningful capacity... if it served a purpose in any kind of light similar to that of Steam or even Origin (which people also hate, but some are coming around as it improves)... then yeah, UPlay probably would be tolerable. The problem isn't that it EXISTS. It's that the whole damn system is worthless, and they layer it over the top of already-existing DRM-providing services like Steam anyway!

It's definitely a good position to take if they can figure out what it is that makes UPlay complete shit and fix it... but I'm pretty sure they don't have Valve-money to go and turn it into the Steam-Clone digital storefront and online gateway to Ubisoft that they really would like it to be.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
*sigh* this is a blatant publicity stunt to try to distract gamers from the issue that much of the company leadership is blatantly sexist, most likely vehemently racist, and purposely gimps certain versions of games in order to create a false sense of parity with inferior systems. There was no mention about any actual cessation on the use of DRM in their games, or the scrapping of the UPlay service. In addition, their press release seems to be making the indication that they want to move more in the direction of the initial release of the newest Sim City, which forces the user to have a constant internet connection in order to be able to play the game.

The problem with game piracy is that no company is willing to attack the core reasons why people pirate games. The price point is too high, especially for digital copies of games, the games aren't good enough to warrant full purchase, and you're likely to find less spyware and malware in a pirated copy of a game from companies like Ubi or Activision/Blizzard than in a copy from retail or digital distribution.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Ubisoft has certainly come a long way from those Assassin's Creed II days...
That's a really positive way to see things.
Or... how long has it taken Ubi to realise what most of us already knew back in the days of Assassin's Creed II.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
That means we'll see more crappy multiplayer in games with a core singleplayer experience woopty fuckin' doo

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011

Now if you just get your Uplay bullshit out of my face I might consider buying your games again, not multiplayer ones though, I still haven't been able to play the Assassin's Creed Revelations multiplayer because your shitty software keeps thinking I'm cheating for some reason.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Thank Christ! It only took them 4 years and a horrible service to learn that.

Now, can you guys please just switch to Steam already?

Also, how many times do I have to say this, pirated copy=/=stolen copy. Piracy is not that simple of a crime.
Steam is DRM, so to switch to that would undermine their statement. They would have to go GoG style to follow through with their comments. Don't get me wrong I like steam but if their saying DRM is useless and their going to stop then swapping to steam technically isn't the correct action (although that doesn't stop them from selling on steam).