Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
TitanAtlas said:
mParadox said:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...
Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...
HOMMM has gone to pants!
Far Cry 2 sucked, I cba with any of the other games.
Ubisoft hasn't had a game I've been interested in buying for years!

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Least people now know where Ubisoft stands with PC's. Wish other companies had the balls to simply admit they don't care about a particular market *Ahem*valve*ahem*. Besides, what are people losing here? Only thing I can think of is Creed, and that's not that good.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
Fold down and shut their programming divisions, because it´s not worth it anymore...

On the topic:
My friends do pirate, hell, the only time they BUY games or movies is when theres a limited edition collectors malarky going on, but then they spend big. Still...friend of mine got Skyrim pirated, and immidiatelly told me he could give it to me aswell.
I just bought it for my Xbox 360 instead. Good purchase.
And no, it´s not completely wrong to asume the game will get pirated...because it WILL...like ANY PC GAME EVER MADE!
It´s just much easier on PCs then on Consoles, and so this is a very logical step in my eyes...finaly, all the pirates get fucked up their ass for doing this because it "saves money, everyone who buys games is stupid!"
Still doesn´t excuse the way they did it.

If more companies would do this, then we will still see no drop in piracy of PC games, because it´s just that easy...cracking is easy, distribution is easy, and it´s free for you...

The only thing that saves a game from being pirated is a good multiplayer mode, because that might not work on a cracked version that can´t get patched...but some even can.

On account, I have a cracked game myself...Brigade 7.62mm, which is an obscure russian game you probably never heard of and neither did I. AND Minecraft. Because I´m not gonna spend a cent to try out a game I might not like...the lack of MP doesn´t concern me, however I might get the full version to keep up the patches...but then I see that the newest versions also get pirated almost instantly...I could upgrade if I wanted too.

Dularn

Nov 7, 2006
Ubisoft uses a form of DRM so restrictive that the pirate versions become superior to the purchased version and then become surprised that their games are pirated...

How about using a form of DRM that is accepted by the community AND provides advantages over pirated version such as steamworks which can be utilised to allow games to be saved to the cloud and synched between PC's, adds achievements, adds very good social functuality through the overlay and allows for easy automatic updates to the client.

Now add a good level of post-launch support through updates and quality DLC that makes it difficult for pirates to maintain a fully up to date version.

Personally I have no problem simply boycotting Ubisoft games. I have enough self control to stand up for what I think is right without stooping to piracy. If a game uses restrictive DRM or price gouges certain regions I see no need to waste my time on that company (and Ubisoft does both of these things - Revelations is $80 USD on steam here).

I think it is no surprise that Skyrim has been very succesful on Steam with up to 300,000 simultaneous players logged just after launch (the actual number of copies sold is probably far larger than 300,000). They released a quality game with a non-intrusive DRM (imo) with the promise of 'big' post-launch DLC. Skyrim did fail on the pricing front with a $90 USD price tag but due to all PC copies activating through Steam I was able to get an imported physical copy for $42 (which I gave to a friend) as well as a $47 copy from Greenmangaming for myself. I'm not saying Skyrim hasn't been pirated - it has and very likely in large numbers. But it was still a significant return on investment for Bethesda. I believe it's success was based on the reputation and respect for Bethesda and a relatively non-intrusive form of DRM.

Ubisoft is fast losing any respect it has among PC users and fails massively on the DRM front. I almost hope their claim of 95% piracy is accurate because at this stage it is exactly what they deserve, though personally I would prefer people to simply boycott.

DRM will always be cracked. Always. Publishers need to realise that they need to find another way to convince customers to pay for their games. They will never have a 100% success rate against pirates but they can reduce the piracy rate by earning the respect of gamers and providing a quality service post-launch.

My 5am post is turning into a rambling incoherant mess so I think it is best if I just stop writing now and go to bed. There is a point somewhere in here if you can be bothered looking for it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
So what about Settlers, Silent Hunter, Anno, HOMM and Trackmania? Are they just going to die now? To be honest all the Tom Clancy games have dropped in quality since Ubisoft took over. I had zero interest in Ghost Recon, because it was not likely to be anything like the games made by RedStorm.

Unfortunately the new Rainbow Six game did look interesting, dealing as it does with domestic terrorism in the US. Still just a fairly generic cover based shooter, but I had heard that they were reintroducing tactical aspects to the game. While the Vegas games did neuter the franchise they were still fun mindless shooters.

Beyond Good and Evil is the kicker though. I'll miss that, though like I have said before Ubi will probably make it either a modern warfare style FPS, or a kart racing game. Because Ubisoft hate you and your favourite franchises no matter what platform you play on.

L3G0kees

Mar 25, 2010
hmm.... Rainbow Six looked way more interesting if they kill that for PC they're dead for me.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
... I wonder... is there a chance that all this apparent "PC Gamer hatred" is, in fact, a publicity stunt? I mean, the direction they are taking with this seems a tad too stupid. Like, beyond the normal scope of developer stupidity. Declaring that 95% of PC gamers are pirates seems too dumb to be plausible.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
One day I will walk up to the Ubisoft exec who decided this and give him the finger.
Because he is certainly not getting any of my money.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Jesus Ubi. You don't wanna develop for PC? You know what, that's fine. I'm kinda dissapointed, but that's your prerogative. But to repeatedly go out of your way to insult not just the PC, but PC GAMERS? The people who have given you money? And to do so with fabricated, baseless, misleading, bullshit statistics?

I don't pirate games, and I will not pirate games, but damn if I'm not tempted now. And if I were a console player, frankly, I would have serious concerns about buying a game from a company that hates it's consumers. They just killed any interest I had in their console games.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Chrinik said:
It´s just much easier on PCs then on Consoles
Actually, they're both piss easy... In fact, although it takes 15 or so minutes to softmod a console, once you've got your console modded or chipped it's easier to pirate for consoles and no having to worry about borked cracked .exes screwing things up... I've used a few No-DVD cracks that I've had to tear back out because they did stupid things to the game.

Hell not even the PS3 using Bluray discs makes much of a difference... mate of mine has a drawer half full of 16Gb flashdrives with PS3 games on them (they're cheaper than blank BRD media at the moment and don't require an expensive burner... plus I think he stole most of them from work).

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Xanadu84 said:
Jesus Ubi. You don't wanna develop for PC? You know what, that's fine. I'm kinda dissapointed, but that's your prerogative. But to repeatedly go out of your way to insult not just the PC, but PC GAMERS? The people who have given you money? And to do so with fabricated, baseless, misleading, bullshit statistics?
I think it's a fascinating business model. First announce a F2P game, a model which relies heavily on community goodwill, and at the same time call that same community a bunch of thieving pricks. It's like they're doing a thesis titled "The Effects of Mutual Antagonism Between Consumer and Developer/Publisher on Free To Play Games" or possibly "New Efficiencies In Destroying Money - Steps Beyond The Incinerator".

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
oh. i guess that means that from now on im fully justified to pirate their games. if im accused of crime i didnt commit, with no way to prove my innocence - hell i might as well embrace my new reputation.....

see, stupid thinking leads to stupid decisions. there is a lesson to be learned here and ubisoft failed that one. dont share their mistake.

tbh the only game from ubisoft that i remotely care about is assassins creed.... bought all of them.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
Yup I'm primarily a PC gamer and how did Ubisoft guess that I'm such a scoundrel pirate. They must have snooped in my steam account and saw my roughly 200 purchased games and started screeching at me.

Kind of sorry that I gave these ass clowns money for their games even when they were on sale on steam with this kind of poor attitude.

I refuse to support them anymore on PC or Console. I don't need to play your games, I have tons of other developers I can throw my money at for a QUALITY experience. That's alright though, you'll just brand me a pirate because I don't agree with your shitty attitude, shitty drm or shitty business practices.

Does this constant blaming of PC Gamers kind of remind people of the olden days of screaming, "Witch" while bringing out some poor innocent soul to go roast on a stick because someone got the sniffles?

Corran006

May 20, 2009
Maybe UBisoft should just stop making video games on console too. I seen a lot of Torrents for Xbox and PS3 games, pirates are not a PC only thing.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Stublore said:
TitanAtlas said:
mParadox said:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...
Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...
HOMMM has gone to pants!
Far Cry 2 sucked, I cba with any of the other games.
Ubisoft hasn't had a game I've been interested in buying for years!
Well... Rayman... that game looks and is freaking insane.... i loved it... and still expecting a Beyond Good and Evil 2 so.... :D

Corran006

May 20, 2009
I guess we should just not buy the new Creed game on PC than. I have a feeling that will be the last one on PC given their new direction.