Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Ever heard of a letter?

I write those.

Send them to companies.
Me and the Wife are sending Sid Meier a Birthday card with a note about DRM and Civ 5.

<.<

The Political Gamer

Oct 12, 2008
I just realized something; if DRM is in a game people will pirate it more to avoid the DRM. Then the game company say they need more DRM to counter it. In other words the only way for both sides to "win" is not to play. Hey look its Cold War mark II.

Lucifus

Dec 3, 2008
The Political Gamer said:
I just realized something; if DRM is in a game people will pirate it more to avoid the DRM. Then the game company say they need more DRM to counter it. In other words the only way for both sides to "win" is not to play. Hey look its Cold War mark II.
Its been like this for years. I don't think company's "get" that you cannot stop a game or softwear from being cracked.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
That's ridiculous, why? There's no online play so what's the point?

I guess it's probably to stop pirates but it's still ridiculous, a hope most PC gamers can find a console for Ubisoft games and they can see how much they fucked up
I have 6 consoles plugged into my TV (this includes the current 3), but Ubisoft is not going to get another dime from me on ANY platform I own. This is just wrong.

edit:
Also, doesn't anyone see how Ubi's DRM seems insanely vulnerable to man in the middle attacks?

DeadlyFred

Aug 13, 2008
Starke said:
I think I speak for everyone on the PC when I say: What the fuck. :(
How about: fuck THAT noise.

And you know... you just KNOW its going to be hacked, because it ALWAYS is. What software have they EVER managed to successfully copy-protect? Nothing I can bloody think of.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
What About if they ever decide to shut those servers off, does that mean no one will be able to play that game anymore?

FretfulGnome

Jan 11, 2010
There's people who were going to pirate the game anyway. And now you can add on the people who were planning on paying for the game, but because of this they're going to resort to pirating it. This doesn't solve the problem, it just inflates it.

vampirekid.13

May 8, 2009
so thats gonna take like what a month for someone to make a remote server emulation software for pc gamers to install on the pc to spoof ubi.com signals to the game, assuming someone doesnt just decompile the game and completely remove the need for them?

Tankenstein

Apr 15, 2009
Furburt said:
Right, that's it, I'm not buying it.

This isn't a boycott, I just don't need that kind of fucking hassle when I play. I'll go play a game that doesn't treat me like a potential criminal.
agreed, this is one of the worst moves ever made in pc gaming history. Just makes you really sad how bad the companies are today. LISTEN TO THE FUCKING GAMERS FOR ONCE! at least bioware and valve are ok. FOR NOW. btw new avatar again? you change them like clothes.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Just a reminder for you people to read (and possibly discuss) the great DRM articles we have on this site:
DRM Systems and the Publishers Who Love Them [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.176274-Experienced-Points-DRM-Systems-and-the-Publishers-Who-Love-Them]
(Written by our favorite DRM-loathing author [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Shamus+Young], of course).

wierdman51

Apr 24, 2009
danpascooch said:
Pendragon9 said:
This is funny. I give em a week before they realize how UTTERLY stupid this is.
Realize? lol, when is the last time Ubisoft "realized" anything?
when they left the womb " oh theres a light over there... what is it? wait, where the fuck am i? oh well ill inconvenience people when i grow up."

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Phenakist said:
Some people at Ubisoft really need to take a step back from whatever they're doing and actually look at it, I mean LOADS of thing SOUND good, I mean I can say "Water powered vehicles will save the world" but if I put water in my bike's fuel tank it WON'T WORK. Similar principal here
I had a good chuckle when I read your post. I was envisioning a steam powered bicycle, and something about that struck me as amusing (although I'm assuming you were referring to a motorcycle).

This kind of DRM is exactly what is killing PC gaming. Well, that and pirates. Wake up people! Why are they doing stuff like this? They are trying to protect their work from piracy!

*Gets off soapbox*

I won't be buying any Ubisoft games from now on. It's a shame too because I was thinking about picking up Assassin's Creed II, but I will not be doing so now.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
tsb247 said:
Phenakist said:
Some people at Ubisoft really need to take a step back from whatever they're doing and actually look at it, I mean LOADS of thing SOUND good, I mean I can say "Water powered vehicles will save the world" but if I put water in my bike's fuel tank it WON'T WORK. Similar principal here
I had a good chuckle when I read your post. I was envisioning a steam powered bicycle, and something about that struck me as amusing (although I'm assuming you were referring to a motorcycle).

This kind of DRM is exactly what is killing PC gaming. Well, that and pirates. Wake up people! Why are they doing stuff like this? They are trying to protect their work from piracy!

*Gets off soapbox*

I won't be buying any Ubisoft games from now on. It's a shame too because I was thinking about picking up Assassin's Creed II, but I will not be doing so now.
*Climbs onto discarded soapbox and takes a deep breath*

[sub]Agreed.[/sub]

*Steps off soapbox*

DRM is the reason I set Bioshock 2 back on the shelf, along with being the reason I havn't bought any "new & big" games for a while. Hell I bought Brutal Legend today, and it's awesome especially because I know it's not a LONG TERM RENT.

Gl1tch

Jun 22, 2009
I don't want to be forced to crack my games just to be able to play them where and when I want to.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
There is hope. EA learned its lesson when they pushed gamers one step too far with the Spore debacle. Amazon rating bombs and bad press (and rampant piracy once this is broken, and it WILL be broken like all DRM schemes are) might hit them hard enough in the wallet to realize this isn't worth the trouble.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
McNinja said:
Lol it's a good thing I got this for PS3 then.

Lol it's a good thing I got this for PS3 then.

Also, it's quite interesting how many people say they'd rather pirate the game than have to deal with the ridiculous DRM. It seems that Ubisoft is actually working against themselves.
Bad example. The Batman DRM actually caused problems with many copies, for instance with mine, and we had to wait for the 1.1 patch to fix it.

Flying-Emu said:
Void(null) said:
Flying-Emu said:
Buy the box, pirate the game.
So you can support Ubisofts choice of DRM, approving its use in the future, and add to the Piracy Statistics further justifying more hurtful forms of DRM which target legitimate customers more than the Pirates?

That seems like the most damaging solution in the long term.
Ever heard of a letter?

I write those.

Send them to companies.
You know what a company does when they get a letter?

1. Look at it.
2. Check for money inside.
3. If no money, into the shredder it goes.
4. If money, write a few words of thanks.

Pigeon_Grenade said:
What About if they ever decide to shut those servers off, does that mean no one will be able to play that game anymore?
Oh, no, no. The pirates will still be able to play it. And people who crack the .exe.