Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

miraclefilms

Apr 2, 2008
I'm sure the pirated version will include a crack that circumvents this.

What I wonder, is how many honest gamers are gonna be introduced to the Wonderful World of Warez, by the moronic executives that came up with this gem of a decision.

-"Sometimes we are our own worst enemy."

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Does anyone else remember the good old days when the only thing you needed was a CD key?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Canid117 said:
Does anyone else remember the good old days when the only thing you needed was a CD key?
Remember how people used to complain about that? Ever wonder if they're wishing they hadn't?

VGCATZ

Nov 23, 2007
All I can say is ouch, way to go Ubisoft-It's not like you're going to drive people away from buying your titles on PC

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
DeadlyFred said:
Starke said:
I think I speak for everyone on the PC when I say: What the fuck. :(
How about: fuck THAT noise.

And you know... you just KNOW its going to be hacked, because it ALWAYS is. What software have they EVER managed to successfully copy-protect? Nothing I can bloody think of.
This one. [http://www.steelbeasts.com/]

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
I don't believe it works. Last I checked, someone ran a contest for it to be broken but Steel Beasts couldn't give money away because no one broke it.

It used a USB dongle which made it super effective.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Goodbye Ubisoft. Good fucking riddance! If you don't want to develop games for the PC, then go ahead and FUCKING say it. Don't go into all this stupid trouble to develop crappy PC ports that none will buy. You will be doing nothing more than wasting your limited time and money.

I'm also a bit paranoid that all this DRM bullshit on the PC is nothing more than experimentation. Experimentation on the least important market (to those developers anyway) before moving to the consoles. DRM-activated console games? Consider yourselves warned.

Gunslinger_GearRust

Nov 19, 2009
Great, Ubisoft has become even a greater public pariah.

But still, that old humorous joke never gets old.

Dare you ask what it is? "Ubisoft". HA! now that's a funny joke.

Ubisoft's games are good (if you take the time to make them more difficult for yourself, rather than stabbing everyone you see and then smokebomb until their all dead), but their board of directors are terrible.

What next, you have to be on chat with one of their representatives speaking a code that it sent to you via game every 5 minutes to make sure that you aren't a bot or pirate?

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
SlainPwner666 said:
Sebenko said:
Playbahnosh said:
You're a conspiracy theorist. If they wanted to kill off PC gaming, the obvious solution would be to not release the game on PC and claim that it wouldn't be commercially viable.
And one publisher? yeah, Ubisoft on it's own is going to bring us down. if it was "well thought out", they'd just get all the dev teams/publishers to work together and not release on PC.
You are aware that he was being sarcastic, right? And I mean DRIPPING with sarcasm.
Heh, some people still don't get sarcasm. :) I mean, seriously, Ubisoft is not that stupid, to cut the tree underneath itself...or is it?

r0manz said:
I laughed, good post.

Luckily we still have good old Bioware to keep PC gaming alive.
...and Valve, Actizzard (or Blizzision), many indie developers, etc. You just can't kill PC gaming, not a chance. Ubisoft's dick-move to sabotage piracy is just plain stupid, they are sabotaging themselves. Even is nobody buys Ubisoft games for the PC, the other publishers will fill in for them, no biggie there.

r0manz

Jul 17, 2008
r0manz said:
I laughed, good post.

Luckily we still have good old Bioware to keep PC gaming alive.
...and Valve, Actizzard (or Blizzision), many indie developers, etc. You just can't kill PC gaming, not a chance. Ubisoft's dick-move to sabotage piracy is just plain stupid, they are sabotaging themselves. Even is nobody buys Ubisoft games for the PC, the other publishers will fill in for them, no biggie there.[/quote]
I didn't mean to come off saying that Bioware is the only good PC develop left. Just that they are the best left.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
Well at least this means I won't have a hard time choosing which interesting games not to buy. Oops, I mean "rent", since that's what Ubisoft is really having people do.

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
They only people who are actually hurt by this are the ones who actually go out of their way to legally buy the game, the need to start focusing more on stoping piracy and less on punishing the few people who actually support them.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Well, then, I guess we, as PC gamers won't be buying anything Ubi Soft anymore. You hear that Ubi Soft?

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Playbahnosh said:
CopperBoom said:
Playbahnosh said:
Hell, I won't even pirate them, I just won't play any of them ever again.
Sounds like the system works!
I am glad not to have to deal with the likes on you in a Splinter Cell multiplayer match.
The system works? Sure, if they want to scare people away and don't want anyone playing their games, then yea, it seems it works perfectly. Soon, there will be no one playing Ubisoft games, and that will be justice.

BTW, what the fuck do you mean by "the likes of me"? Bah, nevermind. And don't worry, I don't care a rat's ass about Splinter Cell or it's multiplayer, so you can do whatever.
Sorry mate, just taking the piss a little bit.

In addition, I would never play Splinter Cell online, save for co-op with people I know in real life.

I do not think the DRM is a good thing, I just think it might be an inevitable one. I also only play console games, so rip into me if you will.