Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4811054957/m/6811098728/p/1

Link to the Ubisoft forums if you want to tell them to FOAD directly.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
sirdanrhodes said:
As a PC gamer, does Ubisoft not realize we are an unforgiving bunch? Do they also not realize we complain like there's no tomorrow?
yes, but they also realize that PC gamers can´t do anything to change their mind

Apr 28, 2008
Didn't EA try to pull this shit with Spore and Mass Effect?
Did Ubisoft not see what happned?!

As a gamer in rural Vermont who's connection drops all the time, allow me to speak briefly for all PC gamers when I say: FUCK YOU UBISOFT!

*ahem*

There is no sound reasoning for this. At all.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
dkuch said:
Hiphophippo said:
That's that then isn't it? No PC ubisoft games for me from this point on. I'm not even going to make a big deal out of it.

That's just the way it is if they take this route.
It's not like it really matters anyways, Ubisoft has never made a good PC port, so it just gives gamers more of a reason for them not to go to Ubisoft. Lets just pray to god that no other big publisher thinks this is a good idea, cause then we are really fucked.
You know, actually you're right. Outside of loving the second splinter cell game online I don't know that I've ever bought a ubisoft pc game.

Heh, glad I didn't make a stink over it. I would have looked extra dumb.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
why in God's sweet name do these people think this stuff is a good move?
The whole point to a game like that is if your net is down you can, doi, play that.
I mean jeebus what's the point anymore? I might as well be playing an MMO becuase I have to have a constant net connection to play that too.

*shakes head*

They just keep flailing this dead horse trying to trick us into thinking it's "good" for us with this trick or that trick.
I don't care if I can install the game on an infinite number of PCs and access my saves on an infinite number of PCs.
Who precisely does that appeal to?
Who has access to and is jumping around on that many freaking computers?

Last time that would have been even slightly useful to me, was when I was in a college lab.

I don't know about anyone else but I tend to be on one computer, mine, and that's it.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, and I hate to say this, but at this point I'm almost rooting for people to hack through this and break it, because it'll make the game playable in a non annoying way, because what is the point of having a game like that if it's dependent on the internet connection?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've already commented on the PCG section of the CVG site (on the actual article) but I'd like to say two things again:

1) People will pirate MORE because of this (not that I condone it, its those fucking pricks who've brought it on the rest of us in the first place)

2) Those not willing to pirate will not buy their games

And of course, when no one buys the games and they have however many copies pirated they'll claim they can't afford to sell to the PC market.

Thanks pirates, you dumb fucking c*nts!

EDIT: Oh, and to all PC gamers I suggest emails to Ubisoft en masse and a petition. Who knows, it may even bloody work this time.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm not exactly having a good time with Ubisoft, it seems. I have AC and AC2 on Xbox 360, and can't play either because my 360 was stolen and I have yet to replace it. And now if I decide to get them for PC, I'm fucked over again. Ubisoft are usually awesome, but right now I really dislike them...

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
Altheus_Necron said:
Dahaka27 said:
This is why I buy games of this type for console, no BS there unless you count XBL.....
But you don't have to be connected to XBL to play the game. You put the disc in and it is guaranteed work... excluding RROD of course
Yeah well I was being sarcastic, anyway.

DRM is one of the reasons I look at a game released over three platforms: PS3, XBOX 360 and PC and go for PS3 or XBOX nearly every time.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Malicious said:
Bleh if you want to fight piracy make everyone register online with the cd key the first time they install the game, not this. Its not a f-ing mmo rpg its a single player game. Whats with all the big releases f-ing us pc gamers in the arse?!
because the big companies like ubisoft and EA hate PC gamers because some of us pirate so they fuck us over with rediculous shit like this. and do you know who doesnt fuck PC gamers over... VALVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Starke said:
I think I speak for everyone on the PC when I say: What the fuck. :(
Definetly...Ubisoft...come on, stop been such idiots ><

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
I'm going to be laughing hysterically all through downloading this game illegally.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
halo3rulzer said:
Malicious said:
Bleh if you want to fight piracy make everyone register online with the cd key the first time they install the game, not this. Its not a f-ing mmo rpg its a single player game. Whats with all the big releases f-ing us pc gamers in the arse?!
because the big companies like ubisoft and EA hate PC gamers because some of us pirate so they fuck us over with rediculous shit like this. and do you know who doesnt fuck PC gamers over... VALVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
Yeah and console game pirating is totally non existent huh?
I can walk down to my local market on a Sunday and pick up next week's releases for about £10.
Not that I can even play them ofc, since modding consoles is stupid if you even want look at online modes.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Punishing the people who actually buy your game, what a wonderful advert for piracy.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
What happens to the person who buys this game 3 years down the road? And ubisoft just neglects their servers? Fuck them. Unless they MAINTAIN a patch afterwards no one will be able to play it after a couple years.

And no, after Bethesda stopped supporting their DLC, I don't trust anything online from a company site. FUCK THAT.