Ubisoft Says Gamers Just Don't Understand The Wii U

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I kinda figure the slow start is due to some of the truly abysmal horror stories that arose when people first got the console on launch. Does the Wii U still require that massive software update at start up that bricks your console if it gets interrupted for any reason?

cheetahguy

May 19, 2012
The Wii U is too expensive with little pay off, as in little selection of games or at least games that haven come out yet and will not be out for quite some time.

I like the look of the Wii U and it's pretty fun, but it suffers from no involvement from Nintendo! they were giving the Wii a good name and advertised it well but the Wii U they were like "here's our new console... Screw it, lets not show any adds or even try to explain it"

And of course good games can (and probably will) be made for it but that's only from other developers with not much help form Nintendo (and lets not forget how long some of the games take a very, very, very long time to make). Lets hope that Nintendo doesn't make a dumb choice in abandoning this console too early.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Coming from one that has the WiiU, the system is off to a damn dismal start because NO GAMES WORTH A SHIT ARE ON THE SYSTEM! Why own this system when there's not even 1 system selling game for it?! I feel like a sucker at this point because the damn thing has done little beyond gather dust since 1 week after I bought it. It's a good thing I had a beat up old 360 to trade for it cause I'd be bummed spending cash on the WiiU.

The system is a waste of space right now, Nintendo is surely filled with dipshits that are still WAY out of touch with "core" gamers and sadly it doesn't appear to be rectifying itself soon. Nothing short of a few worthwhile NEW IP's or bringing back a few of their ancient, whooped like a dead horse IP's will repair their slow sales. I would actually buy a new Metroid or a new Zelda (maybe) but fuck all the crap they've been dropping on us lately. Balloon Fight?! You have to be fucking kidding me you dipshit mofo's, no one wants to play that kind of shit when you have some of the best games on the planet sitting in your backlog waiting to be repackaged for WiiU.

Suck my balls Nintendo, you guys are fucking idiots...

*whew*

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
What kind of stupid argument is this to make??

If we don't understand it, that is absolutely Nintendo's fault.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I tried it out at the local gamestop and simply thought it was dumb... I don't like switching from looking down to up all the time.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ladies and gentlemen, these are the people who now hold the fate of The Stick of Truth in their hands. We are in some deep shit unless it is taken away from them.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well I'm prepared to admit I've probably dimissed it as a gimmick a bit too readily, and I'm certainly approaching it the way one would expect a successor to the Wii to be approached. But I'm not going to buy a console and games for it just to set my opinion straight, and what I've seen so far from asymmetrical gaming is interesting and a bit of fun but ultimately not something that is going to have a large application in serious games. There are a lot of things I can think of that would be fun to do involving two players like this, for example the RTS/FPS duality that sounds like great fun, but I doubt that's going to come from Nintendo.

Bit condescending to suggest that people just don't understand it, but then again, I'm not sure that's what they're actually getting at. They want people to give it a chance. Which isn't going to happen where hundreds of dollars are involved I'm afraid.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Nicolaus99 said:
Carpal Tunneling into a giant brick of a handheld, staring into a tiny screen while sitting in front of a giant superior screen wishing I was holding a real controller and not a supersized VHS cassette?

What's not to love?
This made my day. I'm also 100% in agreement.

OT: terrible PR is standard in the industry but Ubisoft continues to blow me away with their ability to have people come out and consistently say exactly the wrong thing.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
"...The whole idea of the asymmetrical gameplay and using two screens to do two very different things is not simple to explain to people."
You mean what the DS did and most games barely used? Where the best use usually was bottom screen does menus, top screen does game? That's not worth the investment, I have 2 screens on my PC, one is for painting as it's a tablet and it's only really good for work and previewing websites on smaller screens, the other screen does all the media and normal stuff. I don't ever really think 2 screens is worth the investment for gaming, I don't even use my screens together for gaming.

I've never heard a credible defense for use of 2 screens in gaming. It never works out for the majority of games and winds up as something forced upon a game that makes the experience worse. It almost always comes across forced and when something isn't forced it's just a useless screen to have.
It's a neat idea to have the controller screen take over when the TV is in use but that's not worth the cash either.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I think that's part of the problem. I also think some gamers are just hardened douchbags that are going to ignore the system because its designed around an ideas that doesn't fit there notion of gaming and therefore must suck. That and numerous other things.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Every thing SkarKrow said, and from what I've seen in some forums, a lot of people were very disappointed with some of previous hardware, software, online connection and popular game titles on the Wii and just don't trust Nintendo any more.

Also, not every one likes the idea of looking down at the mini screen in the middle of the game. That turned me off as soon as I saw it, but thankfully that isn't for most games that I've seen.

I'm saving money and looking out to see if there is any games I really want on it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I think neither WiiU nor Ubisoft understand gamers and that is the problem.
Then again, what do i know, Wii was a sucess after all, this has proven that gamers arent hard to please.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I just can't dump 300-350$ + tax on one thing. I'd definitely get a Wii U if I could afford to do so, but no such luck. Also, I'm bad at saving up.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Strazdas said:
I think neither WiiU nor Ubisoft understand gamers and that is the problem.
Then again, what do i know, Wii was a sucess after all, this has proven that gamers arent hard to please.
The Wii was a success, because it didn't target gamers, it targeted non-gamers. It sold to them as a dance/party/excercise device that required no gaming skills. That's where it's dominant sales came from. People who never gamed saw it as something fun, not as a game console.

That and in comparison to the other two consoles, it was a God send to your wallet.

Snakktastic

Dec 2, 2008
Twilight_guy said:
I think that's part of the problem. I also think some gamers are just hardened douchbags that are going to ignore the system because its designed around an ideas that doesn't fit there notion of gaming and therefore must suck. That and numerous other things.
So this "some" are the total sum of people that's stopping the masses from going out and buying a HD Wii? No it's not at all the new Playstation or Xbox, that seem to be lurking around, gearing up for a release soon (end of the year type of deal).
Perhaps "gamers" don't want to have to shell out the $430 (AUD for Australians) it'll cost to get the 32GB WiiU so they can install the update that eats all the base WiiU memory space (unless that's not a problem now) in that case its still only 32GB. Oh well we all gotta blame someone.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
The Wii was an expensive piece of shit, the actual colour with wich it was first presented (black and blue) was launched when they started to sell less, and the plastic square that made the controls work as they should've work since the beginning costs as much as a game, which is pretty fucking expensive. (600$ the console, 60$ the motion thing)

And now comes another "look we have different controls" which make me stop looking at the screen, which I hate, and has a hundred functions that don't work over here cuz technology is not really the fastest (3D just became a thing last year after having one movie theater with 1 3D room). AND the fucking thing costs 700 bucks, cuz some retard at Nintendo chose to put prices 1=1, which is worse than the 1 dollar= 1 Euro/pound, cuz our monetary convertion wors as $500= 1$, which is just another proof that they don't give a shit about a lot countries except or a few.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
FelixG said:
Considering the Wii was a 350 dollar waste of space and money (I still regret buying one, my dad only played it once!), I have no interest in buying a WiiU, and considering the Wii was the first of the consoles of this generation to be emulated, I can just borrow my friends games and play them on my PC if one interests me.
which is usually how you show your appreciation for a system that doesn't actively screw you over in order to stop that from happening, by immediately taking advantage of that trust