And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Aaanyway.

Russia bombs Wagner.

Wagner vows revenge.

Russia investigates Wagner for mutiny.

Wagner, claiming they'll go punish all the responsibles before returning to the frontlines, asks russians to stay in house (but also to go out and join them), and assures them that it is not a military coup at all.

So. What.

Civil war ? For realsies ?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Aaanyway.

Russia bombs Wagner.

Wagner vows revenge.

Wagner, claiming they'll go punish all the responsibles before returning to the frontlines, asks russians to stay in house (but also to go out and join them), and assures them that it is not a military coup at all.

So. What.

The Russian military has already fired on Wagner, and Wagner have already captured and interrogated a senior officer from the Russian military.

This won't change anything. Wagner has no meaningful standing in the internal Moscow power struggle. It will only serve to degenerate coordination between the Russian military and Wagner, not to forment change.

Last edited:

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Aaanyway.

Russia bombs Wagner.

Wagner vows revenge.

So. What.

My money says psyop.
But that's because of my instinctive distrust of these people.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
To what end? What's the 'psy' here?
The Russian (and previously USSR) government has long operated on the propaganda equivalent of "throw everything at the wall including poor old babushka and see what sticks." The more noise and confusion generated by conflicting messages, the better. Rather than hide the truth in private, shotgun it into public with 99 other possible scenarios of varying plausibility.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I'm not sure this noise and confusion benefits Russia a lot. Putin would probably not sacrifice the internal perception of the situation in order to muddle its perception abroad. And these conflicting narratives really aren't good for the russian citizens' image of that "special operation" and their leader's reliability.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The article keeps being updated.

Amid rumours that columns of Wagner fighters were already on the move, General Sergei Surovikin, the deputy commander of Russia’s Ukraine campaign, released a video address ordering the mercenaries to remain loyal to Putin.

“I urge you to stop,” said Surovikin, who was previously understood to be close to Prigozhin. “The enemy is just waiting for the internal political situation to worsen in our country.”
Yup. (y)

The FSB urged Wagner fighters “not to make irreparable mistakes, to stop any forceful actions against the Russian people, not to carry out the criminal and treacherous orders of Prigozhin, and to take measures to detain him”.
One hell of a psy-op.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States

I seriously have no idea what's going on. I'm watching this situation unfold with confusion and disbelief.
There's gotta be some angle to this, right? They're not this stupid, right?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm guessing wagner was about to become the scapegoat and so he didn't much of a choice and had to either run or fight. He can't seriously put up a fight against the army, but he might be able to carve himself a territory and the army will be too busy with Ukraine to attack him and take it back.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

I seriously have no idea what's going on. I'm watching this situation unfold with confusion and disbelief.
There's gotta be some angle to this, right? They're not this stupid, right?
Yeah, this is like seeing the Berlin Wall fall, planes hit the twin towers, Lebanon explode or Tsunamis hit Fukushima or Aceh.

What a time to be alive

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
I'm guessing wagner was about to become the scapegoat and so he didn't much of a choice and had to either run or fight. He can't seriously put up a fight against the army, but he might be able to carve himself a territory and the army will be too busy with Ukraine to attack him and take it back.
Here is what i believe is most likely happening

After Wagner took Bakmut, the Russian Minister of Defense, Shoigu, ordered all PMCs to be integrated into the Russian military by July 1st. And before all...THIS happened, Wagner's leader, Prigozhin, stated that he would not comply.

As you all know, Russia's war in Ukraine has been a shit show and Russia's military leaders, including Shoigu, are very unpopular among the Russian troops and civilian population, especially the Ultra-nationalists. Prigozhin is one of the few people who openly criticize the military's leadership (not Putin) and face no consequences (up until now); this is probably because Wagner is one of the few competent organizations in the Russian military. He was very critical of Shoigu and the military leadership over the last few months and the integration of Wagner into the Russian military may be a way for the Russian MoD to "remove" him.

July 1st is less than a week away, and Prigozhin is launching this coup because his back is up against the wall. I don't think the Russian MoD is trying to find a scapegoat and is just simply trying to remove someone they fear is gaining too much popular support, though to be fair scapegoating could be part of it. The average Wagner mercenary is mostly likely supporting Prigozhin because he signs their paychecks and the Russian government has not been on time with paying some of their troops. There is also the possibility that the average Wagner mercenary does not want to serve under the Russian military leadership given how bad their handling of the war has been.

EDIT:

Well, Putin just sided with the MoD and called Wagner's actions treason; though its seems he didn't mention Prigozhin by name.

Last edited:

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
There are reports, Wagner is already in Voronesh, which is basically half the distance from Rostov to Moskow. It's the classicla march to the capital. And it is fast. They probably hope to get there before the MoD can mount any proper reaction.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
There are reports, Wagner is already in Voronesh, which is basically half the distance from Rostov to Moskow. It's the classicla march to the capital. And it is fast. They probably hope to get there before the MoD can mount any proper reaction.
I think the issue for the MoD is that most of the security forces sent to stop Wagner have just parted like the Red Sea. Things might change now that Putin has condemned Wagner's actions, but I would not be surprised if this comes down to FSB vs Wagner.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Does he win and become the king of russia if he gets there?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Gosh. This is interesting.

Oh, I don't think he'll carve out a territory, he'll march on Moscow and launch, I guess, a kind of coup. What sort of coup? Remove Putin? Just clear out the elites he doesn't like and leave Putin in charge, nominally or effectively?

A lot of the Russian troops that could stop him are deployed in Ukraine. And also, he might know that the military available aren't prepared to put up a fight.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Gosh. This is interesting.

Oh, I don't think he'll carve out a territory, he'll march on Moscow and launch, I guess, a kind of coup. What sort of coup? Remove Putin? Just clear out the elites he doesn't like and leave Putin in charge, nominally or effectively?

A lot of the Russian troops that could stop him are deployed in Ukraine. And also, he might know that the military available aren't prepared to put up a fight.
If Wagner maintains a presence in Rostov they could effectively hold the entire supply line to the southern front in Ukraine hostage. Given the counter offensive going on right now, i don't think i need to explain why that would be a massive problem for Russia.

As for Prigozhin's goals, at first I thought he was just trying to oust Shoigu, but apparently Wagner's official telegram recently posted,
"Putin made the wrong choice. That's worse for him. Soon we will have a new President."

If that's true then I think Prigozhin is going all in.

EDIT:
I believe Rastov is also where Russia's central command for the southern front is located.

Last edited: