Ukraine

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So looks like Wagner is calling the whole thing off. They're turning around and going back. Putin probably told them in no uncertain terms he would 100% nuke them if they got within 100 kilometers of Moscow.
NOOOOOOO!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So looks like Wagner is calling the whole thing off. They're turning around and going back. Putin probably told them in no uncertain terms he would 100% nuke them if they got within 100 kilometers of Moscow.
Da fuck just happened?

How do you go from "Prighozen is a Traitor" to "Wagner turning around within 200 Km of Moscow when they were advancing rapidly with little resistance" that fast?

What kind of deal did they cut with him? Like did they offer him SW Russia as an automous Wagner state or something?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Da fuck just happened?

How do you go from "Prighozen is a Traitor" to "Wagner turning around within 200 Km of Moscow when they were advancing rapidly with little resistance" that fast?

What kind of deal did they cut with him? Like did they offer him SW Russia as an automous Wagner state or something?
Surely you can't just un-declare war on the Russian state?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Da fuck just happened?

Nukes. That was the deal. Stand down immediately or we will nuke your army into oblivion. Putin didn't offer them more money or a better funded 401K. He threatened to use tactical nuclear missiles if they got with 100km of Moscow or didn't immediately stand down.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Nukes. That was the deal. Stand down immediately or we will nuke your army into oblivion. Putin didn't offer them more money or a better funded 401K. He threatened to use tactical nuclear missiles if they got with 100km of Moscow or didn't immediately stand down.
Everyone happy asking ¿Quién es más macho? until someone starts talking about nukes.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Everyone happy asking ¿Quién es más macho? until someone starts talking about nukes.
Basically yeah. Putin had to remind Wagner what real power is. Real power isn't 20,000 psycho soldiers and tanks. Real power is a single missile that can level everything for 20 square miles and turn the very ground to liquid.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Yeah, not sure about this speculation there. I don't think Putin would have used thos on his own soil, and I don't think he's have asked Lukashenko to make the threat on his behalf.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, not sure about this speculation there. I don't think Putin would have used thos on his own soil, and I don't think he's have asked Lukashenko to make the threat on his behalf.
Using those on his own soil (or anywhere, really) would leave to him having an accident with a high window, so seems unlikely, yeah. Of course, if he's desperate, maybe nobody wanted to call a bluff.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If 20,000 battle hardened ex-con Veterans are marching on your capitol, are only about a day away, and your own military is letting them go by unopposed, I think that big red button gets very tempting, very quickly. Ask yourself what wouldn't Putin do to stay in power? He would absolutely 100% use a nuke on his own country and citizens if it meant he stays in power. He's never cared about Russian citizens or safety before, why would he suddenly grow a conscience when his very life is on the line? I mean what do you think he offered Wagner to get them to stop? Better parking spaces? Sick leave? Remote working? These are brutal convicts who are given two choices, fight in Ukraine or be executed. Putin absolutely gave them that choice again, just with an ICBM instead of a bullet to the back of the skull.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
If 20,000 battle hardened ex-con Veterans are marching on your capitol, are only about a day away, and your own military is letting them go by unopposed, I think that big red button gets very tempting, very quickly. Ask yourself what wouldn't Putin do to stay in power? He would absolutely 100% use a nuke on his own country and citizens if it meant he stays in power. He's never cared about Russian citizens or safety before, why would he suddenly grow a conscience when his very life is on the line? I mean what do you think he offered Wagner to get them to stop? Better parking spaces? Sick leave? Remote working? These are brutal convicts who are given two choices, fight in Ukraine or be executed. Putin absolutely gave them that choice again, just with an ICBM instead of a bullet to the back of the skull.
Not only he would probably not have stayed in power after nuking Russia, but also why the need to dialogue with Lukashenko, to present him as he person to thank with the negociation ? It doesn't look, to his voters, like Putin disciplining "his" troops. It would be useless and uselessly awkward for a direct boom boom threat.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Not only he would probably not have stayed in power after nuking Russia, but also why the need to dialogue with Lukashenko, to present him as he person to thank with the negociation ? It doesn't look, to his voters, like Putin disciplining "his" troops. It would be useless and uselessly awkward for a direct boom boom threat.
Putin doesn't have voters. Russia isn't a Democracy. Putin is a dictator, who owns Russia and actually has a pretty tight grip on the minds and beliefs of the average Russian after 30+ years of state sponsored propaganda. He absolutely would have stayed in power and been seen as a real tough guy who actually had the balls to use nuclear weapons.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah its weird he backed out, surely he's aware that Russian who displease Putin tend to just disappear, does he think it won't happen to him? Why would he think that? He's been sorta exiled to Belarus, but what will happen to his men? Are they all going with him or are they being integrated into the army, and why would they agree to that, they'll just get stabbed in the back on their first night.

Oh well, I hope this helped Ukraine in some small way in the end. It can't have strenghten Putin position, a lot of people are probably shocked at how weak him and his regime looked so we might get more stuff like this or people behind the scene not being so cooperative with the regime.

Reactions: Dalisclock