Ukraine

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Posting in chunks because it doesn't want to post the whole thing...

Nukes on ones border might have been a big deal. There are no nukes in Ukraine (Christ, I feel like I'm repeating all over again that there are no WMDs in Iraq...) and membership of NATO does not involve owning nukes. There was an international agreement with guarantees of no nukes on Russia's doorstep. And RUSSIA BROKE IT.
The United States broke it earlier

wait, sorry, that didn't come out right. What I mean to say is,

THE UNITED STATES BROKE IT EARLIER and NATO membership would make all the provisions that apply to Ukraine's advantage superfluous, so it is perfectly reasonable to suspect they wouldn't keep the agreement (especially considering, I must remind you, that the United States had already helped overturn a democratic by US standards election in Ukraine in order to get its way). There is also the prospect of using Ukraine as a platform to strike at Russian nuclear weapons with conventional munitions to precede a first nuclear strike. And something I didn't think about in detail until more recently is that the Warsaw Pact enjoyed a much thinner effective front with the West in Europe because of the Carpathian mountains, whereas Russia in the current situation has a gigantic border through a gigantic plain; the plain is much thinner in Poland and Germany, but opens out the further east you go. On top of that, Belarus would be an indefensible bulge should there be a conflict with Ukraine on NATO's side.

There seem to be too many ways for a Ukraine in NATO to lead to either a decisive military advantage with nuclear arms or conventional arms or a perception of such an advantage that ends up ending the world as we know it. Is that Ukraine's fault? Not at all. But it seems to be a geographical reality. And based on that geographical reality, I'd expect Russia has designs on Moldova too (nevermind Lukaschenko's apparent reveal). The west should negotiate a neutral Ukraine before that's relevant in my opinion-- I suspect the United States would rather Ukraine just lose, though. Russia gets its more defensible position, the United States gets an affirmation that there is a new cold war. Which it actually wants, because it is structurally psychopathic. Also some other dubious benefits, material and psychological. Ukraine suffers if Putin intends to keep the western part (and grants Hillary Clinton's apparent wish for an opportunity to repeat the history of American support for the Afghan mujahideen), but none of the great powers really gave a shit about that in the first place.

Ukraine stuck by its obligations in Budapest.
Much like I stuck by the agreement outlined in a receipt from thirty years ago. By having paid thirty years ago. On the other hand the United States meddled quite ferociously in Ukraine's government, not only with sanctions against Yanukovych but also by participating in and legitimizing an unconstitutional coup (they plainly didn't have the fairly high number required to oust Yanukovych by parliamentary vote, but that didn't matter to the US and Europeans or the western press; they got their desired outcome, so process-- which is also to say agreements-- be damned). In response to that coup, which involved domestic neo-Nazis and foreign support, there were breakaway sentiments in the more Russian parts of Ukraine. And Russia took advantage of that. And Ukraine shut off Crimea's water for eight years (until Russia restored it during the invasion).

Now, this is kind of a subtle point, but the people in Crimea and the Donbass do actually have rights to self-determination that would supercede agreements made between Ukraine and others should those people decide that they want out of Ukraine. And the hypocrisy (Chechnya) of those who might help them is not an argument against their rights. Is it not necessarily true that the DPR/LPR represent all the people of Donetsk and Luhansk? Sure. Is the Crimean referendum disputed? Yes; in fact, it seemed to not include an important third choice. But not necessarily true does not mean false, and a referendum being kind of shitty doesn't make its result one that the people must necessarily disagree with. Maybe that's a sore subject for a Remainer, though.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Of course the Crimean referendum was presented in western media as a sham tainted by the presence of Russian troops. But I don't know. Look this over and tell me you really think it's that uncomplicated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Crimean_status_referendum

In May 2014, Washington, D.C., pollster Pew Research published results of a survey that encompassed Crimea, Ukraine, and Russia, in which it was reported that 88% of Crimeans believed the government of Kyiv should officially recognize the result of Crimea's referendum.
That is kind of a lot. And there are several other polls like that one, from western polling firms. Some of them from the years before the referendum, others after. It is not at all weird to suppose that the people of Crimea actually wanted out of Ukraine or to be part of Russia; the way they were attached to Ukraine in the first place was rather arbitrary and, moreover, the results of the Euromaidan coup were not just anti-Russia but also significantly anti-Russian. Crimea would not have been strange to feel unwelcome.

Russia then signed Minsk in bad faith, and proceeded to break it more egregiously and more frequently than any other party.
Please explain in further detail what you're referring to, as my understanding is that Ukraine kept shelling the Donbass. Thousands of people died since 2014. The ceasefire never took and the government of Ukraine as far as I can tell never took a single significant step to actually meet any of the other requirements. They could have done; Zelensky ran on doing so, I think. But, probably because of the influence/threats of neo-Nazis in (mostly unelected positions in) his own government, he never did.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Of course the Crimean referendum was presented in western media as a sham tainted by the presence of Russian troops.
Because it was.

Honestly i can believe that a free referendum still would have shown a majority in favor of joining Russia. But it would never have been that overwhelming nor would it have been without risk. That is why Putin didn't take the chance and we will never know.

Please explain in further detail what you're referring to, as my understanding is that Ukraine kept shelling the Donbass. Thousands of people died since 2014. The ceasefire never took and the government of Ukraine as far as I can tell never took a single significant step to actually meet any of the other requirements. They could have done; Zelensky ran on doing so, I think. But, probably because of the influence/threats of neo-Nazis in (mostly unelected positions in) his own government, he never did.
I am deeply sceptical about that. It is hard to find actually trustworthy sources about the Donbass conflict. Generally it seems that while the conflict did reignite several times, the Russian proxies were more interested in keeping it hot and Ukrainian shelling being vastly exeggerated. Mostly because the agreement did promise to solve it with keeping the regions in the Ukraine, so that keeping the peace would have been in Ukraines intesest but not in the interest of the separatists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanchaidh

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I am deeply sceptical about that. It is hard to find actually trustworthy sources about the Donbass conflict. Generally it seems that while the conflict did reignite several times, the Russian proxies were more interested in keeping it hot and Ukrainian shelling being vastly exeggerated. Mostly because the agreement did promise to solve it with keeping the regions in the Ukraine, so that keeping the peace would have been in Ukraines intesest but not in the interest of the separatists.
Obliterating the separatists would also have that result, if they managed it, and without having to give them any autonomy. Giving autonomy and retracting it and playing around with various setups for Crimea didn't ultimately keep it out of Russia either.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Because it was.

Honestly i can believe that a free referendum still would have shown a majority in favor of joining Russia. But it would never have been that overwhelming nor would it have been without risk. That is why Putin didn't take the chance and we will never know.
Very likely it would - I think about 70% of people in Crimea identify as Russian. When Russia conquered it and expelled the Tartars, is was primarily repopulated by Russians. It was only handed to Ukraine in the 1950s as an administrative simplification by the USSR, which of course at that time was never expecting to break up. Thus whilst I might deplore the manner of its annexation, demographically it's reasonable for Russia to own.

But as you point out, an axiom for any autocrat is to never let a vote occur which might turn out a non-approved result.

This is not true of the Donbas oblasts, which at last reliable census identified ~60% as Ukrainian. The self-declared states are effectively military dictatorships run by a the Russian minority with Russian backing. If Russia defeats Ukraine and seeks to annex them, they will not be permitted a free and fair vote, either.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
This is not true of the Donbas oblasts, which at last reliable census identified ~60% as Ukrainian.
Why on earth did they prefer Yanukovych over Yushchenko so much? Better results for Yanukovych there than in Crimea generally or even Sevastopol specifically.

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
First of all, thanks for making this thread!

One of my Ukrainian friends told me that a very revealing article had been leaked on a Russian website, and subsequently taken down. You probably have heard of this already. Anyways, he spent a lot of time trying to translate it in a proper way and I will link this translation here.

His own introduction reads:
"On the 26th of February 2022, the Russian Information Agency (RIA) 'Novosti', a news agency indirectly owned by the federal government of Russia, accidentally featured a revealing article, under the name 'The setting-in of Russia, and the new world order', for a brief time. Concern was raised from the start, as the original title can alternatively be interpreted as 'The military advance of Russia, and the setting of the new order' due to the choice of words."

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eVPz6aUAlk-OUuFsYGjNIwabmOExLGlPbvXSJipSrkc/edit

Reactions: Kwak

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
THE UNITED STATES BROKE IT EARLIER and NATO membership would make all the provisions that apply to Ukraine's advantage superfluous, so it is perfectly reasonable to suspect they wouldn't keep the agreement (especially considering, I must remind you, that the United States had already helped overturn a democratic by US standards election in Ukraine in order to get its way). There is also the prospect of using Ukraine as a platform to strike at Russian nuclear weapons with conventional munitions to precede a first nuclear strike.
Keywords: "suspect", "prospect". Ukraine didn't break the agreement. Russia just believed they might, and so broke it first.

That's not how the fucking law works.

There seem to be too many ways for a Ukraine in NATO to lead to either a decisive military advantage with nuclear arms or conventional arms or a perception of such an advantage that ends up ending the world as we know it. Is that Ukraine's fault? Not at all. But it seems to be a geographical reality. And based on that geographical reality, I'd expect Russia has designs on Moldova too (nevermind Lukaschenko's apparent reveal). The west should negotiate a neutral Ukraine before that's relevant in my opinion-- I suspect the United States would rather Ukraine just lose, though. Russia gets its more defensible position, the United States gets an affirmation that there is a new cold war. Which it actually wants, because it is structurally psychopathic. Also some other dubious benefits, material and psychological. Ukraine suffers if Putin intends to keep the western part (and grants Hillary Clinton's apparent wish for an opportunity to repeat the history of American support for the Afghan mujahideen), but none of the great powers really gave a shit about that in the first place.
So it's all in dystopian "pre-crime" territory, then. They sign an agreement, start to believe that someone else might break it, and then break it themselves to avoid a hypothetical future.

So tell me: why should we trust Putin's supposed diplomatic approaches, if that's the way forward as you seem to believe? If he considers mere suspicion enough to throw his word out the window, his word is worthless, and diplomacy or Russian promises cannot provide security against him. He's ensured he cannot be trusted to abide by agreements he makes.

And before you point to Belarus sanctions again: invasion and 8 years of annexation, and arming an insurgency, are somewhat a more severe break than some sanctions.

Much like I stuck by the agreement outlined in a receipt from thirty years ago. By having paid thirty years ago.
No, they haven't developed nuclear weapons since, either. That's abiding.

The rest is whataboutism. The actions of the US don't justify invading Ukraine, which is not the US and didn't take those actions.

Reactions: Generals and CM156

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
So tell me: why should we trust Putin's supposed diplomatic approaches, if that's the way forward as you seem to believe? If he considers mere suspicion enough to throw his word out the window, his word is worthless, and diplomacy or Russian promises cannot provide security against him. He's ensured he cannot be trusted to abide by agreements he makes.
By that standard, no one should do diplomacy with the United States.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
By that standard, no one should do diplomacy with the United States.
Well, yes, after the last few years people should (and many are) rethink their treaties with the US, and if they were wise didn't put too much faith in them to begin with. Mutual self-interest isn't normally a bad basis for diplomacy, but it's not always enough.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Why on earth did they prefer Yanukovych over Yushchenko so much? Better results for Yanukovych there than in Crimea generally or even Sevastopol specifically.
You surely do understand the difference between supporting a pro-Russian Ukrainian candidate (plus all the other policy and issues involved) and voting to secede from Ukraine, don't you?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
You surely do understand the difference between supporting a pro-Russian Ukrainian candidate (plus all the other policy and issues involved) and voting to secede from Ukraine, don't you?
That doesn't answer the question.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

141 of the 193 member states voted for the resolution, 35 abstained(AKA we we do not approve of this invasion but don't want to piss off russia) and five voted against.

Those 5 are...
  • Belarus
  • Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea)
  • Eritrea
  • Russian Federation
  • Syrian Arab Republic
The height of democratic principles right here

Reactions: CM156

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Russia throwing some chaos into the American mix;

It's really time America started coming down on the strain of crazy sweeping through its nation.

Reactions: Kwak