"Undateable"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No, there isn't someone for everyone if you just wait around, but anyone can go out there and meet people (unless you suffer from some very severe ailment). It's all up to you to throw yourself out there.

This is coming from someone who doesn't have any friends and who has never had a date, because I don't take the initiative to get involved with others. Even if you're a big fat slob who strangles his pets, you can meet people and get dates if you only make the effort.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I know that feel. Hell, I can't even manage "average", I'm a fucking mess of person. Ugly, not overwhelmingly intelligent, borderline insane, I could write a book listing all of my character flaws. Some people say that I'm nice and funny, which are two things I doubt, and besides, being nice is the bare minimum. You need more than that.
Casual Shinji said:
No, there isn't someone for everyone if you just wait around, but anyone can go out there and meet people (unless you suffer from some very severe ailment). It's all up to you to throw yourself out there.

This is coming from someone who doesn't have any friends and who has never had a date, because I don't take the initiative to get involved with others. Even if you're a big fat slob who straggles his pets, you can meet people and get dates if you only make the effort.
I guess my severe ailment would be anxiety. I don't exactly NEVER try but when I do it's usually under the influence of copious amounts of alcohol and I usually spend the next month or so feeling shitty about it. Which I'm trying to do something about, but if the progress was any slower, I'd be going fucking backwards.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
I'm not sure it is. So I wonder; setting OBVIOUS things that would make a person undateable like being mean etc. Could someone be just so bland, average (or below average) and uninteresting that no one would want to go out with them? Or, to up the requirement, no one would want to go out with them that THEY would also want to have anything to do with?
I'm undateable because I'm never anywhere people could ask me out on a date. And women are rarely the agressor.

But unless you have a know habit or Murdering women on the first date, you are not undateable.

I knew a guy who is pretty much the dummest person I have ever met, who also has scar tissue on over 80% of his body (because the idiot seriously set himself on fire when he was young). And he is somehow married with kids, to a very attractive and as far as I can tell intellegent woman.

So as people have said everyone appeals to someone.

It's just a matter of finding said person, which brings me back to my first sentance you just have to be out in places where you can find women to date (or women can find you).

That is real reason most of the people on the internet who claim they have always been single, always have been single. A girl is not going to magically appear at your front door one day and say "Hi, I'm your girlfriend now" (unless you mail order a Russian or Czech bride I suppose).

NoX 9

I Want A Hug!
Jul 2, 2014
I had this talk with a friend of mine... He was complaining how he'd "never been on a date and never even had a girlfriend, but I guess I'm just not BF material", to which I asked "so when was the last time you asked someone out?" Then the room fell awkwardly silent.

I'm puzzled by this; did he really expect that women would just come knocking at his door going 'hey, I saw you trough the window and you looked lonely'? If you do not put yourself out there you won't find a girlfriend, it is that simple. Dating isn't even that hard, you can even do it though the internet. I've had 3 relationships in my life so far, and 2 of those started online.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Hah, made me think of the show Undateable:

I guess the only way to be truly undateable is to be some manner of toxic individual who is both emotionally unavailable and too obnoxious to trick other people into liking them.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Have you got hobbies or interests? Then you have a shared connection with someone. If they're not in your area then move, but there are always going to be people out there.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Don't be silly. Get a camera, take a sepia-filtered wide angle shot of yourself from a reasonable height, put it on Tinder, and wait for people to find you interesting.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Doclector said:
Casual Shinji said:

This is coming from someone who doesn't have any friends and who has never had a date, because I don't take the initiative to get involved with others. Even if you're a big fat slob who straggles his pets, you can meet people and get dates if you only make the effort.
I guess my severe ailment would be anxiety. I don't exactly NEVER try but when I do it's usually under the influence of copious amounts of alcohol and I usually spend the next month or so feeling shitty about it. Which I'm trying to do something about, but if the progress was any slower, I'd be going fucking backwards.
Well, then you have one up on me. I never try at all. As the years roll by it becomes natural to just not bother anymore. Also, small talk is like brain surgery to me, and I'm just a rather thick individual as well -- I probably wouldn't notice someone showing interest in me if they screamed it right at my face.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
The worst mistake I've done during my younger years is, without being able to put it in better words, actively searching SPECIFICALLY for a date. It always made me a bit nervous when I was talking to girls and it seems to me that I looked weak-willed. Nice guy, but without a backbone.

I got older and stoped carrying about it too much. When I got into Uni I started meeting people JUST because I liked hanging aroud with them as people.

Me and my lady had our first anniversary few weeks ago.

What I mean is that you shouldn't look for lady friend speciffically, but rather meet with nice people. Oh, and be a nice guy. Not the trilby-wearing "internet nice guy" stereotype, obviously.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Doclector said:
Casual Shinji said:

Well, then you have one up on me. I never try at all. As the years roll by it becomes natural to just not bother anymore. Also, small talk is like brain surgery to me, and I'm just a rather thick individual as well -- I probably wouldn't notice someone showing interest in me if they screamed it right at my face.
I'm much the same. And I do mean "copious" amounts of alcohol. For clarification, none of these attempts have worked.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I came to that reasliation ages ago, and thus gave up all ideas of 'scoring' and focused on what things I am good at, never been happier. People like to perpetuate that there is somebody out there for everybody, but here I sit on the otehr side of the fence decrying such faf, screw the system man, all the plebs saying what you should want and value.

But in all honesty I am very bland, or more correctly, what I like doing can be done best with only one person, more people just make things akward.

TL;DR: Be happy wit chow bland self.

brtt150

Nov 22, 2013
OP, you will never go on a date. You aren't allowed to approach women. I think that's the point of another thread here. Sorry.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
By any chance OP, do you like to count things and read the ingredients on the back of food packaging?

Yeah this comment is completely not serious, but I felt it wrong no one else posted this.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I can offer you some magic elixir which boosts your stats as follows

+50 charisma
-20 intelligence
-40 dexterity

N.b The effects are temporary and it may take between a few hours and a day to recharge your mana after consumption

fortunately you are in luck my friend, as my magic elixir can be obtained from most inns, taverns or ye olde shops

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
No, not radio carbon dating.

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day about how I've only ever gone on one date. He kept arguing that "Of course you'll meet women and go out" and that "everyone goes on dates on has a girlfriend at some time or another". I said that no, even I were to get lucky and get a first date, a second wouldn't happen. I told him that someone like me would be undateable not because of creepiness or being BAD; rather someone like me is just so bland and not interesting that people would rather go out with literally anyone else. He thought it was a silly idea.

I'm not sure it is. So I wonder; setting OBVIOUS things that would make a person undateable like being mean etc. Could someone be just so bland, average (or below average) and uninteresting that no one would want to go out with them? Or, to up the requirement, no one would want to go out with them that THEY would also want to have anything to do with?
No one is completely 'undateable'. Unless you're in a coma, EVERYONE has some sort of hobby that others are interested in. However, limiting yourself to a single hobby or not doing much of anything else does tend to make you more one-dimensional and thus, as a lot of people will see it, dull.

For example, playing video games is great, but if quite literally all you do in life is wake up, go to work, come home, play video games, go to sleep, repeat, then yeah, the vast, vast majority of people are going to consider you very uninteresting, bland, and average (unless your job is something extremely interesting), because you're entirely defined by basically one thing.

On the other hand, if you pick up lots of different hobbies or are willing to try lots of different things, you exponentially increase the number of people whom you can relate to and share stories with. THIS is what keeps people from considering you bland and uninteresting. I'd also recommend it because you'll be shocked at the things you'll fall in love with that you never thought you would if you just try them. To give a small example: I've never been a huge fan of swimming or the water, but when I lived on the coast, I decided "what the hell?" and gave SCUBA diving a shot. Absolutely fell in love with it.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
No, not radio carbon dating.

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day about how I've only ever gone on one date. He kept arguing that "Of course you'll meet women and go out" and that "everyone goes on dates on has a girlfriend at some time or another". I said that no, even I were to get lucky and get a first date, a second wouldn't happen. I told him that someone like me would be undateable not because of creepiness or being BAD; rather someone like me is just so bland and not interesting that people would rather go out with literally anyone else. He thought it was a silly idea.

You know, I married quite late, relatively speaking. I was 36 when I tied the knot. I had also had my share of cases where I met somebody for one date, and it never got to a second. I even had the opposite problem that you had - I've done so much (handled antique swords, written books, started a publishing company, made professional contacts from famous authors, become a trained swordfighter) that I figured most women would think I was lying through my teeth if I told them about it, or just be overwhelmed if they believed it.

Thing is, I've had five truly meaningful relationships in my life (relationship being defined in various degrees of emotional closeness). Four of those five started with just meeting somebody with common interests without any real attempt to "pull." The second happened after years of being desperately single, and coming to peace with the fact that I probably wasn't going to be dating anybody soon - and it happened within a few weeks of that.

If you asked me how I did it, all I could tell you is that I concentrated on doing the things I loved, while paying attention to who I met along the way.

But, as to your question - what makes somebody interesting is their hobbies and their, well, interests. If all you did was go to work, eat TV dinners, come home, watch television, and sleep, then you would indeed be as boring as dishwater. Happily, most people have more in their lives than that. If you don't, though, then you need to get out and try some new things - pick up some hobbies, figure out what your interests are, etc. - not for the sake of getting dates, but for your own personal development. The dates will come naturally later, so long as you pay attention to the people you meet.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
davidmc1158 said:
A rather bizarre friend of mine once said "The only type of person who is never going to be able to get a date is someone who is already dead. And that's mostly because they make lousy conversationalists."

Yeah, I have some interesting friends.
I was gonna make a comment about necrophilia but....

2HF

May 24, 2011
I think of myself as a pretty bland and boring individual. I hate people, I hate going out, I don't like many of the things people my age are supposed to like.

How's my love life you ask, knowing full well that I'm going to say something counter intuitive based on my previous comment.

I dated tons, before I got engaged. Now I'm marrying a wonderful woman. The last woman I went out with before her made it known to me that she thought I was interesting and sexy as hell because I beat her in a game of Love Letters using the mathematics of probability which I learned while playing poker.

My last serious relationship before that was with a woman who thought the absolute world of me, despite the fact that I was a miserable asshat who didn't have a single positive thing going for him at the time.

All the women before that thought I was sexy, smart, funny, and countless other descriptors because they were all clearly on all of the drugs. I'm overweight, dropped out of highschool, was working minimum wage jobs, drove a shitty car, and was about as social as a poor, fat, highschool dropout who hates people.

Everyone is looking for something different.

When I was in Vegas I met a woman, I invited her to sit with me at dinner because I was sitting alone and she'd have to wait another 10 minutes for a table, she agreed and she went on to tell me all about herself. When she was done she made a comment that implied I'd been nodding along politely the whole time. I proceeded to recount her life's story for her and she sat there with her jaw in her lap at the thought of me actually listening and committing it all to memory. Had I not had a plane to catch in 2 hours I'd have been in her room having dessert immediately after dinner. I know because she told me so.

I didn't even have to be interesting, I just had to provide what she wanted, someone who would listen.

Everyone wants something different.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think you might have more luck with getting dates, if you show interest in your date. You describe yourself as being dull and bland, so I'm assuming that you don't small talk with them? I don't have much data to go on, so I'm just speculating here.

Well, become interested in the stuff they're interested in. Everybody's got something they love and enjoy, and showing genuine interest in what they like goes a loooong way towards getting you in their good graces.

And I don't mean pretend to be interested in what they're talking about, I mean genuinely show interest. It's not that hard really. I just remind myself that "this person likes that thing as much as I like *insert favorite thing*, so ask them about it and why they like, learn to find the interest in it that they do." This will warm them up to you a great deal, and then you can start building connections that span the gaping maw of your blandness. xD Sorry, had to go there since you described yourself as a human version of Eyore.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
If you keep meeting new people and making an honest effort then you will find someone eventually. Everyone has something about them that someone else will find interesting. There is no need to have a low opinion of yourself. You have been on one date in your life before, so you are already doing better than me. :p