Underage Sexual Assault Victim Faces Jail Time...For Tweeting the Names of Her Attackers (UPDATED)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I'll guess they plead out to avoid having to register as a sex offender. Note that the details of the plea were not released. Any right-thinking yet guilty young person will choose to plead out and take whatever consequences, including jail time, to avoid registration.

I really wonder if that was part of their deal.

Mortai Gravesend said:
Unless she was under some obligation when she found out they sexually assaulted her I see no reason that she should be banned from saying it.
She was, apparently, under that obligation, as it was part of the plea deal, which her court representative clearly advised her to accept. That would be a tough pill to swallow for me, as well.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Sindaine said:
Recidivism, look it up. You do that shit once, you are going to do it again. So let's keep them away from women. Put them on disability or whatever if we must but keep them away from people they might hurt. And funny you should mention having their lives ruined, because there's a young lady named Samantha whose life they in fact ruined, and yet it's their scumbag lives that people are up in arms about. This is where we are as a nation. Two men rape an unconscious woman, and the country weeps for the rapist rather than the victim. How disgusting is that?
Maybe you should try looking it up, since if you had you'd notice that rape has the second lowest recidivism rate of any crime, right after homicide. Also, the US has some of the highest rates of recidivism in the world, despite having the highest number of people in prison per capita. So yeah, super effective there.

And anyway, didn't anyone ever tell you that two wrongs don't make a right? Anyone, ever? Because they don't. Just in case you were curious.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Mortai Gravesend said:
Rednog said:
zarguhl said:
The whole argument makes no sense.

If someone does something that involves you there is no circumstance that exists that should prevent you from being able to tell another.

"Bob said hi to me this morning."
"Bob ate my sandwich!"
"Bob raped me!"

It's a suppression of freedom of speech otherwise. If it's untrue that's different, then you're trying to damage another person through lies. But if something happened that involved you, you should be able to talk about it UNLESS you agreed PRIOR to the action that you wouldn't (such as a non disclosure agreement at work).

The entire legal system there should be arrested for human rights violations.

Edit:
And it should be remembered that laws are only created to punish criminals, never to help ordinary people. They are created from the viewpoint that all of society are equal, not from the viewpoint that a few are criminals and the rest are not.
Uhh I hope you realize that in the real world and not armchair politics there is no carte blanche freedom of speech. In legal cases there is tons of information that is suppressed to uphold the rights of both parties. No one has the right to go waiving around anyone's details. Hell if you're a juror you can't talk about the case to anyone before the case is over, and even after it's over in some cases you can still be told that some information isn't supposed to be just spewed out as public knowledge. Is this a human rights violation? According to you it would be, hell it was a part of their day so why can't they go on the air to news stations and just tell everything that happened in court that day?
Or how about people who work in the medical field, hey I treated so and so's disease today why can't I go around telling everyone about it? Isn't that my freedom of speech? It's a true thing that happened to me today.
Unless she was under some obligation when she found out they sexually assaulted her I see no reason that she should be banned from saying it.
Before the court proceedings, sure she free to say it any one she wanted, however once she entered the legal system she was bound by the rules of the system. From my understanding it was not only part of the plea bargain but the names of minors and their criminal actions aren't supposed to be public knowledge.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
There raped her, she disobeyed a court order. Both committed crimes unfortunately

zarguhl

Oct 4, 2010
Lionsfan said:
You can't pick and choose which laws you wish to uphold
Yeah actually, you can. You just may be punished for it.

The law is irrelevant beyond the threat it poses to you for breaking it. It is only right if you agree it is right from your own viewpoint. The law is no more fundamentally right than the ravings of a lunatic.

There may be no "absolute freedom of speech" as someone else said, but that's irrelevant too. The law is wrong and there's nothing more to it. If she were sufficiently powerful she could punish the legal system by teleporting them to another planet so they all choke to death on toxic fumes, but she isn't so instead she is punished by the legal system.

The fact that the law is more powerful that her doesn't make it more right.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
dystopiaINC said:
your point. I agree and you reminded me of something from a long time ago, to anybody familiar with Harry potter. Bogarts take the shape of your. worst. fear. that's pretty scary right? but how do you beat them? you make them look ridiculous, you take the power away from them. any way just thought it was a nice analogy
That actually is a pretty good analogy now that you mention it. Thanks, it's always nice to get a bit of positive feedback.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Mortai Gravesend said:
Rednog said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Rednog said:
zarguhl said:
The whole argument makes no sense.

If someone does something that involves you there is no circumstance that exists that should prevent you from being able to tell another.

"Bob said hi to me this morning."
"Bob ate my sandwich!"
"Bob raped me!"

It's a suppression of freedom of speech otherwise. If it's untrue that's different, then you're trying to damage another person through lies. But if something happened that involved you, you should be able to talk about it UNLESS you agreed PRIOR to the action that you wouldn't (such as a non disclosure agreement at work).

The entire legal system there should be arrested for human rights violations.

Edit:
And it should be remembered that laws are only created to punish criminals, never to help ordinary people. They are created from the viewpoint that all of society are equal, not from the viewpoint that a few are criminals and the rest are not.
Uhh I hope you realize that in the real world and not armchair politics there is no carte blanche freedom of speech. In legal cases there is tons of information that is suppressed to uphold the rights of both parties. No one has the right to go waiving around anyone's details. Hell if you're a juror you can't talk about the case to anyone before the case is over, and even after it's over in some cases you can still be told that some information isn't supposed to be just spewed out as public knowledge. Is this a human rights violation? According to you it would be, hell it was a part of their day so why can't they go on the air to news stations and just tell everything that happened in court that day?
Or how about people who work in the medical field, hey I treated so and so's disease today why can't I go around telling everyone about it? Isn't that my freedom of speech? It's a true thing that happened to me today.
Before the court proceedings, sure she free to say it any one she wanted, however once she entered the legal system she was bound by the rules of the system. From my understanding it was not only part of the plea bargain but the names of minors and their criminal actions aren't supposed to be public knowledge.
Yes, I know it's illegal for her. I don't see why it ought to be since at the time she found out the info she was under no obligation and after the proceedings are done...
Right at the time she was under no obligation, but once she entered the legal system, she is bound by the laws/rulings of that system in regards to this case. For the same reason the guys who did the thing have to adhere to the court's ruling, they can't just say oh well the case is over we don't have to follow anything, so does she have to abide by the court's laws/rules after the case.

Also at the end of the day I think it really boils down to it really is in everyone's interest if this isn't trumped across world, especially in the case of minors. I mean you look at something like the Duke lacrosse case where the guys got death threats, their family got death threats, teachers were found to intentionally fail them and a bunch of other bullshit.

Revealing their names doesn't do the public any service, one could even argue that the only purpose is to entice "harm". She was free to talk about the indecent, she just wasn't allowed to give out their names.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
the fact that they took photos of the assault and distributed them amongst their friends makes me instantaneously lose any sympathy towards their protection.
This is countries have laws and not just the whims of your sympathy.

America more than any other nations should know the danger of letting public outrage decide what is the best course of action, from the Salem Witch Trials to the terrible string of lynchings in the Deep south that though mainly targeted at Black people it was at anyone the masses were angry at and didn't want to wait for any kind of justice, black, white, Asian were dragged out beaten and suffered slow strangulation and even being immolated.

Such laws protecting the identity of juvenile offenders exist for good reason as they are especially vulnerable.

My concern is with the victim, and part of protecting the victim is to separate the culprits from the victim for a long time not by removing the victim from society but by removing the perpetrators from society, prison, for an adequate length of time. I don't seek retribution, that leads to shallow justice.

nebtheslayer95

Nov 22, 2009
Its sad that she will face jail time for that. I dont really like our (the US) justice system for reasons like this

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
As sad as it is to say, she did go against a court order. While the circumstances are unfortunate and even though I believe the offenders names should be made public, her actions (while understandable), are in the wrong. That is just the way this cookie crumbles, and we'll have to accept this crumbly cookie until they bake a better one.....Mmmm cookies.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
zarguhl said:
Lionsfan said:
You can't pick and choose which laws you wish to uphold
Yeah actually, you can. You just may be punished for it.

The law is irrelevant beyond the threat it poses to you for breaking it. It is only right if you agree it is right from your own viewpoint. The law is no more fundamentally right than the ravings of a lunatic.

There may be no "absolute freedom of speech" as someone else said, but that's irrelevant too. The law is wrong and there's nothing more to it. If she were sufficiently powerful she could punish the legal system by teleporting them to another planet so they all choke to death on toxic fumes, but she isn't so instead she is punished by the legal system.

The fact that the law is more powerful that her doesn't make it more right.
And just saying "the law is wrong" over and over again doesn't make it right either

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
oh go look it up she got off scott free. someone posted it on my facebook a few weeks ago and i forgot to add it here.

TOUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH TIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!f :D lmao jk

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
I have no pity for the rapists and I do feel sympathy for her and her plight, but she violated a court order and broke the law. The court did its job.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Please remember to follow up on this one and tell us if she's actually going to jail. Stories like this forget that part for some reason.