Unskippable: Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, the video really lived up to the name!
That was absolutely ridiculous! I loved it!
Do a GPLP of it! Pleeeeease??

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Damn, I though Atelier Rorona:The Alchemist of Arland was the worst named game you guys would ever find.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
One of the biggest problems in JRPG logic is that outfit is one that guy wears to sleep. In just about all JRPGs, your characters are running around in their pajamas.

And you could have probably fit at least 6 of that main character in that bed. Oh I get it... Your whole party theoretically would all sleep in the same bed.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
There was a point in that video where I checked to see how long I was into it. It wasn't even halfway through. It just kept going and going, like a whale vomiting. As bad as the game was, I just couldn't stop watching. I was in awe of the sheer badness of this game...

Lilitu

Feb 22, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Wait, that was for the PS3!? That looked like a late era PS1 game.
Have you ever played a PS1 game?

I am playing Ar tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica (PS2) right now. A really entertaining game ^^
I can't wait to play Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel but right now it is still too expensive for me.

Lilitu

Feb 22, 2011
orangeapples said:
And you could have probably fit at least 6 of that main character in that bed. Oh I get it... Your whole party theoretically would all sleep in the same bed.
Ar tonelico II has quite big beds, too. There slept at least 3 main charakters in these beds...one guy and two girls...sometimes only two girls...they are doing weird stuff that makes me wonder if I have some really dirty thoughts or what the hell they are doing there?!

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
First thought upon seeing the title: I think they finally found something worse than "Infinite Undiscovery"

I guess for an rpg it's not unusual to have the intro talk about something completely detached from the character intros, but still...

The graphics were pretty shit for a PS3 as well and while i don't mind actually stepping away from usual rpg-women outlines that thing wasn't really what i had pictured. I guess the gorilla woman is outweighed by the woman who forgot to put on her pants so i'm still not convinced this is any less mental than your regular rpg (only thing is that this one is also illiterate)

Shingro

Oct 4, 2007
I hate to be "That Guy" but most of it (besides the paper scissors rock joke XD) is plot, the whole title are real words in a fake language, there's a reason Mute (buff chick) looks like that, the 'maiden' being referred to is the other body the soldier chick is in.

Still this isn't a review or something, as jokes I laughed so well done :D

Oh as for the game, You know how jrpgs are so over the top, crazy, bizarre and somewhat saucy? Well where most JRPGs have backed away from that, Ar Tonelico (and most GUST games) have leaned into the skid and are the *MOST* Insane, kinky romps through insane worlds, (half of which are inside other people's *HEADS*) If you think that games are better surreal then realistic, you have a good chance of really really enjoying it.

MightyLB

Nov 18, 2009
Glad we're moving from racial stereotype nonsense Call of Juarez: The Cartel to the outright nonsense of JRPGs. Also, is there some kind of prerequisite that the hero of a JRPG really, really loves sleep? I knew about the spiky hair and stupidly-large sword, but I wasn't previously aware of this one.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I heard "Dude Looks Like a Lady", but that... thing... apparently does a 180 on that. Um, Lady looks like a Dude... in a dress. And has a male voice actor to put the EPIC FAIL on top of Fail.

Mettking

Mar 17, 2011
MatParker116 said:

Did I just watch?
And that was the sane part...I'll just let that sink in for a minute. It only gets crazier and full of innuendoes from here on.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
You know, I saw this game in a video rental store and I thought "This game looks awful. I'm going to rent it for a week (because it was a weekly rental)." After the first two days of playing and contrived sexual innuendo, I gave up.

One thing that turns me off anything is contrived sexual innuendo. Looking at Ar Tonelico Qoga, they will shove their innuendo in our faces even when it wouldn't come across as remotely sexual if written normally. This is why I like Spongebob Squarepants; it's subtle and clever. I remember this classic moment:

SPONGEBOB: *from the roof of his house* I'M UGLY AND I'M PROUD!
SQUIDWARD: *sunbaking on his house's roof* Is that what he calls it?
Also note that there is a Sandy Cheeks living in Bikini Bottom.

Graham, Paul, I am VERY thankful that you didn't get to the part where that 'maiden' gains magical powers by stripping. I am serious.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Ooooo! I did not expect them to do this. I want this game...

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I dunno about Qoga, but Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 were pretty damn good games in my opinion. Honestly you don't go into a Ar Tonelico game for fancy graphics or a super awesome story, more for the great music (Depends on your taste in that case, but all the games have several full songs, many partially or sometimes fully sung in Hymmnos) and the fun gameplay. But once again, haven't played Qoga. The intro wasn't exactly that great from what I could tell, but each game has taken place on a new "tower" and there's a shit-ton of stuff that would need to be introduced for a "newbie" to actually understand anything of the series, so not surprised people are confused and blindly jumping on the jrpg hate band-wagon.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
That was quite strange...I knew I was in for something odd when I saw the games name in the title.

Speaking of strange, this also reminds me of a time many years (as in over 10) ago I stayed in a bed 'n' breakfast (expect they served you dinner as well as breakfast) that was owned by a former steeplejack. From what, I can tell, they carry out repair work on the outside of steeples and the like.

That was one huge bed though. Are we sure it doesn't actually belong to the huge manlady? That's we she's so mad, the hero of the piece is squatting in her house.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I know this is nitpicky for the game, but at first the guy has bandages on his right arm and then its switches to his left arm.

Which is it?!

Also, the whole mudslide and PaperScissors thing made me spit out my soda. Praise the Maker I was looking at my sister when I heard it.