Unskippable: Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Wow. Just wow. I've never been so stunned at such a terrible intro cutscene. Why was this game made? Why?

Great episode.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
DanHibiki said:
I would actuality hold my judgement on the second "girl". I mean it's wearing a metal chest plate, there could be anything under that.
First rule of Anime: Until proven otherwise, assume EVERY character in anime to be the opposite gender to what they appear.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
...I know I told myself I was eating chocolate s'mores poptarts, but why do I get the feeling I ate something far more...potent after watching this video?

Turning off the PS3 was a good idea, guys.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Wow this game is just a constant string of WTF...

Also to G&P: Knell is a real word too, so there were only two actual words in that title :3

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
DracoSuave said:
Aiden Raine said:
I also love how everybody's talking shit about the game because this cutscene makes no sense. of course it doesn't make any sense. it's the first 5 minutes of a very story heavy 40-60 hour game. (edit) and it's the 3rd game of the series, no less.

*facepalm*
Oh please, let's put this manwoman and all that's going on into context.

I am truly curious what knowledge of the series could bring to make THAT make sense!
Okay. This is Mute.

See everything in the world of Ar Tonelico is essentially powered by Hymmnos an elaborate created language for the game. Mute sings EXEC_CUTYPUMP/. a Hymmnos created by her father that allows her to gain a more super powered physique. Because when you want to fight to avenge your father who was killed in AT2, you so want to have the body of a little girl.

Knight Chick is another person inhabiting Sakis body, who she is and who Saki is are important to the game.
Sakia Lumei is the Knight Chick, she's the ORIGINAL body, she was conditioned to let a piece of the planets will inhabit her body, possess her and eventually erode her own existence until Saki is all that's left

Also Ar Tonelico is a Piss Take in the vein of Disgaea, it is self aware not only of it's own zaniness but of the zaniness of the JRPG genre and is fully ready to go and mock everything from JRPGs and Anime and Dating Sims. And just like Disgaea, it knows when to kick you in the balls, like with the Cosmosphere, god damn the Cosmospheres... and the Bad Ending

Oh I know it's spoilers but who the hell cares?

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
SpaceMedarotterX said:
DracoSuave said:
Aiden Raine said:
I also love how everybody's talking shit about the game because this cutscene makes no sense. of course it doesn't make any sense. it's the first 5 minutes of a very story heavy 40-60 hour game. (edit) and it's the 3rd game of the series, no less.

*facepalm*
Oh please, let's put this manwoman and all that's going on into context.

I am truly curious what knowledge of the series could bring to make THAT make sense!
Okay. This is Mute.
See everything in the world of Ar Tonelico is essentially powered by Hymmnos an elaborate created language for the game. Mute sings EXEC_CUTYPUMP/. a Hymmnos created by her father that allows her to gain a more super powered physique. Because when you want to fight to avenge your father who was killed in AT2, you so want to have the body of a little girl.
Fo'Sho, I need to say that Mute is my favorite character. I don't think many people will like that song though. it's my favorite and it's the video posters favorite but it's not exactly well, I dunno.

I still have the lyric/translation of that song bookmarked, singing about hunting down people to burn them and fighting a violent and cute battle and killing for love... is that why she killed Katene's Dad?

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I wish the big girl was a recruitable party member. I appreciate the effort to put some variaty in the 'androginous' character template.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
Ah it is not that bad of a game...not that great, but not bad. 2 is much, much better however.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Dude looks like a lady.
Oh wait, that's not right.
Lady looks like a dude....
Okay doesn't doesn't sound as good when you sing it...

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Dooly95 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I can't stop laughing at the whole big bed deal (yes it's huge and I would envy him for having a large bed). Also what's up with the actings? Sound like they are over dramatize or over doing it.
Sounds like you've never seen a voiced JRPG before! Let me help you out by saying

This is the rule of all voiced JRPG games.

There are exceptions. Persona4 is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.
Persona 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Atelier series, Jeanne d'Arc, Shin Megami Devil Survivor, Tales of games are decently voiced altho after playing through Vesperia on ps3 i like the jp voice actors more, also NIS is hit and miss with dubs unfortunately(fortunately most of their game you can change the dub track), And the Worst Voice over in the history of jrpgs is Chaos Wars(Arc Rise Fantasia is a close 2nd) and i cant believe im saying this but its worth a look at just for the terrible acting

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
SpaceMedarotterX said:
Your explanation didn't make it LESS wtf. It only replaced the immediate WTF with deeper WTF.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
paper scissors beaten by mud slide. Note to self: Use mud slide to beat all when playing rock paper scissors! Thank you Graham and Paul

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..In what universe do those.. lumps on the bodybuilders chest even remotely look like breasts, exactly? If it had not been for the exceptionally high pitched voice, I would have thought the character a bulky man for the entire game (provided I could handle the suffering of actually playing it, that is).

This game looks and sounds so bad, Metroid: Other M looks and sounds better than it, to me.. my god..

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Gamegodtre said:
Excludos said:
hahaha. You guys HAVE to do a lets play of this one. That is far out
no its pretty standard for the Ar Tonelico series, that and the sex jokes
I'm not sure what worries me more. The fact that its considered normal, or that this is a series..

Aiden Raine

Oct 3, 2011
DracoSuave said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:
Your explanation didn't make it LESS wtf. It only replaced the immediate WTF with deeper WTF.
it's entirely in context, however. the entire story encompasses 3 whole games, with many materials which go into the history of the world. everything is entirely explained, but not within the first 5 minutes of game number 3 of 3. if you really have no interest in it, then it's best to just turn your head and walk away.