Unskippable: Atelier Meruru, Part One

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
swimon said:
"it's the best game about property foreclosure I have ever played"

Someone hasn't played "Recettear: an item shop's tale" (what is it with property foreclosure and stupid names). Seriously it's a great game ^^.
Gaah! You beat meh!

-----------------------

I always like when Unskippable touch on JRPG's and the like. They combine 2 of my favorite things, anime and riff tracks. And since anime is often so odd and ripe for parody, they usually end up being the best episodes.

Wasn't funnier than Atlier Rorona ("Oh god! I'm not trained for this!"), but still hilarious.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Yeah I saw this on the shelf at the store the other day and figured I'd see it here shortly, and I was right! (For once.) I think I really want to try this series though. They just look so weird and...boring that I just want to see it for some reason.

Also were you refering to Roronoa Zoro at the beginning there?

Callate said:
"Rorona"? "Meruru"? Did they hand the naming duties in this game off to Scooby-Doo?
This joke should have been in the video.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
swimon said:

Someone hasn't played "Recettear: an item shop's tale" (what is it with property foreclosure and stupid names). Seriously it's a great game ^^.
Damn you, ninja! That is exactly what I was going to say.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
swimon said:

So you beat several of us to the punch, but I would just like to jump in here and defend Recettears title. Aside from it being a contraction of their names, as explained in the game, those names were specifcally chosen so that the combination would be similar in spelling and (mis)pronunciation to "racketeer" i.e. to engage in an illegal business or scheme. It's a pun, you see. It's implying they have a sign on the front of their shop essentially stating that they're criminals.

Actually, now that I think about it, knowing how far they went for such a silly joke might make the title worse :/. Still, I like shouting "Recettear!" when I've had too much caffeine (and I'm alone).

swimon

Jul 23, 2009
SwimmingRock said:
swimon said:

So you beat several of us to the punch, but I would just like to jump in here and defend Recettears title. Aside from it being a contraction of their names, as explained in the game, those names were specifcally chosen so that the combination would be similar in spelling and (mis)pronunciation to "racketeer" i.e. to engage in an illegal business or scheme. It's a pun, you see. It's implying they have a sign on the front of their shop essentially stating that they're criminals.

Actually, now that I think about it, knowing how far they went for such a silly joke might make the title worse :/. Still, I like shouting "Recettear!" when I've had too much caffeine (and I'm alone).
Fair enough. I never noticed that pun, I think it's because I have no idea how to pronounce recettear so the pun never really landed with me. I'll say this tho compared to Atelier Meruru Recettear is pure genius (Dejoban games level genius).

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
uggggg, sooooo slowwwwwww. C'mon guys, the first part of the game is meant to hook the player not put them to sleep.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
Callate said:
"Rorona"? "Meruru"? Did they hand the naming duties in this game off to Scooby-Doo?
This joke should have been in the video.
They did it in the first one. I'm guessing they didn't want to repeat themselves.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
So, I made the mistake of trying to drink a glass of water during the video...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ah, the return of the incredibly girly games with the ridiculous names. Oh, what joy to hear Graham and Paul rip on them.
"Must think manly thoughts.." was what I was thinking throughout the video.

captcha: IS IT ENOUGH
no, it never is

Keith Fraser

Mar 12, 2012
ForgottenPr0digy said:
yeah these JRPGs from this game series(others that look like it Paul and Graham did for unskippable)

look interesting I would buy if I knew if I was them in the right order or which ones are better?
Based on the video, I assume they go in the following order:

Atelier Rorona
Atelier Totori
Atelier Meruru

Which ones are better...I cannot say.

Incidentally, I think at least some of those names are actual Japanese words. I'm pretty sure 'tori' is the romanization of the name of those gates you see outside Japanese shrines/temples, for example.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Did you make a reference to Golden Sun?! If you did, thank you. I love that game. Still working on beating the third game.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Keith Fraser said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
yeah these JRPGs from this game series(others that look like it Paul and Graham did for unskippable)

look interesting I would buy if I knew if I was them in the right order or which ones are better?
Based on the video, I assume they go in the following order:

Atelier Rorona
Atelier Totori
Atelier Meruru

Which ones are better...I cannot say.

Incidentally, I think at least some of those names are actual Japanese words. I'm pretty sure 'tori' is the romanization of the name of those gates you see outside Japanese shrines/temples, for example.
It's actually Torii, but Totori is an actual name.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
MatParker116 said:
Can someone please explain what the fuck I just watched?
You watched Graham and Paul make funny comments during the opening of some strange strange game.
Although interestingly enough, not the strangest game they've ever done. No that title still belongs to Ar Tonlica.

I must say though, that Altelier Iris game did look interesting, however these 3 (Rorona, Totori, and Meruru) do not.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Wow, forget "a guy with no name said nothing"....
Here, a BUNCH of people with no FACES said nothing!

--EDIT--
By the way... Frixie Dixie and the Mold is my Furtive Pygmy cover band. ^_^

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
I never thought I'd find myself looking forward to a two-part Atelier Unskippable.